Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Teus de Jong (1946-2010)

Nov 3, 2010 1:33 PM

This week, at the age of 64, Teus de Jong died of complications after some years of ill-health. Many of you will remember his contributions in this forum and the scripting forum across the road, though because of his health problems in recent years he hasn’t posted in any forum for a while.

Teus was an accomplished typesetter, routinely collecting prizes for best-produced books in the Netherlands. He was quite versatile, setting complicated titles, not only novels in Dutch – his mother tongue – but also bilingual Hebrew-Dutch bibles and  and Dutch-Arabic/Arabic-Dutch dictionaries. In typographical matters he was self-taught: he was trained as a sociologist, then for several years worked as a lecturer in the history of science at Delft Technical University in Holland. Later, in the early late 1970s, he turned to book production – not entirely unsurprising as he had always been a bibliophile – had his own company, and, after several years of co-owning a typesetting company, worked on his own again until his death. Teus was also an excellent programmer: he was fluent in PostScript, C, Pascal, and later in JavaScript, too.

He will be remembered for his sardonic quick wit and, above all, his generosity. No matter what you sought his advice or views on – typography, the latest developments in hard-disk technology, the merits of a particular typeface, or the ultimate argument why Glenn Gould was the best Bach interpreter – he always had time for you and explained things in great detail. Those who knew him will miss him. Teus is survived by his wife, Monique, and four adult children.

Peter Kahrel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 3, 2010 1:42 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Peter,

Do you know if there is a way for those of us who "knew" Teus to send a memorial contribution of some sort, or an address where we might send a letter of condolence? This sad news has touched me far more than I would have thought.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 2:22 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Thankyou.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 2:36 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Thank you from me as well.

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 3:00 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

My deepest sympathies go out to his family and his friends, and all who came to know and appreciate his craftmanship through this forum; and -- maybe unwittingly -- through the beautiful books he has made over the years.

Theunis de Jong

(a.k.a. [Jongware])

|
    Mark as:
  • Cari Jansen
    204 posts
    Sep 16, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 3, 2010 3:03 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Thank you Peter, for sharing this sad news with us. 

Teus will be greatly missed. My thoughts are with his wife and children.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 3:21 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

This is such sad news. Thank you, Peter, for letting us know. He will be missed. Sigh.

Many InDesign users have only recently come to know of his work because of his excellent and much-needed fix for the EPUB export script. His generosity and hard work have made a lot of people happy over the years.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 3:35 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Although we never met, I was always in awe of his brilliance. Sorry to hear this news. The InDesign community has lost a great champion.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 4:05 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

That's beautiful tribute to a true friend of the user community. He will be greatly missed.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 5:06 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

This was sad news to read today, indeed. I'm happy I got to know him a little bit, through email only, as he helped me out over the years with various InDesign intricacies. Thank you Peter for letting us know and for that interesting biography of a generous man.

My prayers are with him and his family.

AM

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 6:11 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Hello everyone,

I'm Sander de Jong, Teus' son and I'd like to post an email here, which I wrote in response to an email by Peter Spier. Everyone should be able to read this.

I want to let you know that we (Teus' family) have read your message and  that we really appreciate it. We knew that he was very active in the  InDesign community. We also knew he was good at his work, but we didn't  always realise what he meant to people in the community. He wasn't the  person who boasts about his performances and didn't always get credit for  the things he did in his life. The reactions on the forums gave him the  confidence that he was still very good at what he did for a living. The  forums also were a nice distraction from his work. When he was tired of  working he surfed to the forums to see if there were new developments or  to laugh about InDesign newbies who said Word was better for typesetting  than InDesign for example. Most of the times he was able to discredit all  these kinds of arguments in a single post. It will be hard for me seeing  CS6 being released while my father won't be able to use it. He left a wife  and four children, I'm his only son. He always discussed geekie stuff with  me, so I knew the most about his InDesign work.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 8:28 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

I started my InDesign scripting looking Dave Saunder's, Olav and other community professional posts in forums well as visiting their personal websites. Teus de Jong is one of them, who (http://www.teusdejong.nl/) unknowingly helped me for having a kick start in ID scripting.

Deeply saddened with this news and my condolences with family.

--Pankaj

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 8:44 PM   in reply to PankChat

Thank you, Peter, for letting us know. This is such sad news. He will be missed. My condolences with his family.

Regards,

Anil Yadav

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 11:20 PM   in reply to Teus de Jong

So sad to hear this news. I wrote back and forth with Teus de Jong about EPUB and InDesign, and soccer during the World Cup final

He was very generous, and will be missed.

Liz

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 12:12 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Mid-sixties, so young..

"the latest developments in hard-disk technology" - what exactly were his contributions to this? Given that most of this tech was nearly completed (save minor  advancements such as perpendicular recording for density etc.) pre 1989, at the sale of Control Data IP via its subsidiary Imprimis for 400M to Shugart/Seagate, and now it's all about SSD & light-based interconnects (or will be very shortly), as is everywhere in tech news. Anyone remember CDC?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 2:24 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

I am not fluent in english, and in this cases, I miss the word also in my mother language.

When I opened the mailbox I was reading "OT Teus De Jong"...  thought he was changing work.. I never expected something was possible to happen.

I swapped some mails with Teus in the past, especially about ID and geeks comments on the prereleases and so on.. and he had always a good suggestion or a different way to approach a problem.

It was really a sad news, and I'd like to send my condolences to family and all who knew him, personally or virtually.

Tot ziens, Teus..

Leonardo Agosti

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 3:15 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

I am so sad to read this.

Like others I used Teus's scripts and when I didn't understand something, would contact him for support.

My deepest condolences to his family.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 5:46 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Although we never met, I have the feeling to write some words.

I lost my father too this year at the age of 67

and this sad news has touched me deeply.

I‘m sure he will be greatly missed.

My thoughts are with his family and all who knew him.

Mach es gut Teus de Jong…

Regards from Germany,

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 4:23 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

This is sad news.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 5:04 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Great man with big and generous heart! Always here to help and give suggestion!

He will be missed.

Regards from Serbia,

Marijan Tompa (tomaxxi)

http://indisnip.wordpress.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 5:16 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Teus is a man that will be missed by many more than can possibly be counted or realized. He will leave a gaping hole in these forums. May God give comfort to his family and close friends during this time of grief.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 6:09 AM   in reply to E Diane King

I only had contact with Teus briefly through this forum and I have to

say that this contact was (inevitably) one-sided, with the wisdom

flowing from him to me. So God rest you Teus and may your family and

friends take comfort from knowing there are so many people out there who

remember him so fondly and admiringly.

k

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 6:10 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Very sad news indeed. Thank you Peter for a moving tribute. A pillar of our community has passed on.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 8:45 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

This is indeed a sad news. Teus will be missed alot !!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 9:13 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Teus, net als ik een Nederlander, vandaar dit bericht even in onze moerstaal: ik kan niet anders zeggen dan dat ik geschokt ben, nog niet zo lang geleden hebben we elkaar via e-mails 'gesproken' - en nu is hij er niet meer. Een droevige dag :-(

(Teus as well as I are Dutch, this message therfore is in Dutch)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 9:55 AM   in reply to Harpreet Singh.

I think it speaks volumes of the man Teus was that Harpreet created a forum account for the purpose of posting his condolences...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 10:28 AM   in reply to Harbs.

As well the many nationalities represented here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 11:00 AM   in reply to Teus de Jong

Sad news. He'll be missed, as we all carry a little bit of his personality in our minds and memories.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 12:54 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

This is a very sad news to me.

It wouldn't be an overstatement to say that meeting with educated and experienced people here on Adobe forums changed the whole my life. They always helped me out whenever I encountered a problem.

Just a few years ago I had nothing to do with programming and couldn't even imagine that I would be writing scripts. Now it is my principal hobby.

It wouldn’t be possible without help of people like Teus who generously shared his knowledge with us.

I present my condolences to his family.

Kasyan

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 2:44 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Really sad for these bad news. Really really sad. We're changing some emails just few days before his death. He was always available and very kind. I have no words now. K.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 6:28 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

I never had the fortune to be able to meet Teus in person, but I had the joy of "meeting" with him regularly online around InDesign development. He will be sorely missed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 6:35 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Somebody earlier said, that so many nationalities gather here to pay tribute to Teus. That's true.

When sometime during the CS4 beta cycle I asked a very language-specific question on the prerelease forum, Teus was first to provide the answer, and give me the necessary follow up  off-line.

I will remember Him, and I miss Him already...

Tomasz Kuczborski

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 7:52 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

I knew Teus only via the forums but felt like I knew him in person. His personality and kindness really showed through his posts and he will be greatly missed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 8:43 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

I also only knew him through the forums. I will miss his wisdom and wit. A big loss.

Gary

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 12:49 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

Very sad news. Thoughts go to his family and close friends.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 1:11 AM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

I join with so many others who knew Teus in offering my deepest sympathy on his passing. You will be missed.

Regards

Sandeep Grover

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2010 1:48 PM   in reply to Peter Kahrel

I am really sad about  Teus departure, and I wish to express his family and friends my condolences and my gratitude and respect for his continuos efforts and help to everyone with Indesign, scripting, problem solutions, and advices he gave with generosity and interest for improving the work of everyone who need it. A big Thank You, Thank you. His contributions and memory will stand for a very long time.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 2:10 PM   in reply to Federico Platon

I'd just like to add my condolences. We will miss his depth of knowledge.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points