Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS5 Certification Exam

Jun 22, 2010 2:16 AM

Hi,

How many of you are planning to take Adobe Photoshop CS5 Certification Exam? Unfortunately still Adobe has not launched the new version of Certification - http://partners.adobe.com/public/ace/main.html

Any annotations?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2010 4:01 AM   in reply to Creative1977

Creative1977 wrote:

So?

Oh, did you need an answer?

I am not planning to do it.    

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2010 5:22 AM   in reply to Creative1977

I think the lack of answers speaks loudly enough here.

However, only you can judge if it's worthwhile for YOU.

I suppose under some conditions having Adobe certifications listed on your resumé could be an advantage.  Perhaps you should ask yourself if it will help you specifically with a particular upcoming job search.  Are you failing to get job offers?

Perhaps the question for the forum(s) should be, "Would you hire me over someone else to work on graphics/images in your shop if I had this certification and the someone else didn't?"  That might evoke answers from the people you really want to hear from.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 6:34 AM   in reply to Creative1977

I gave up certifications for lent.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 1:04 PM   in reply to Creative1977

yes I definitely plan on taking the CS5 certification. This will be my first time doing the ace certification so I see no point taking it for CS4. Only problem is there hasn't been any word on when the certification tests for CS5 will be released! It says on the website that your certification for previous versions is "invalid" (though I'm not sure what they mean by invalid!) after 90 days from when the newest version has been released. Also there isnt a whole lot of content out there to learn from (besides the adobe website) for studying purposes.

Does anyone know when we will be able to take the certification for CS5?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2010 1:46 AM   in reply to omg_wtf

As far as i know, the Photoshop CS5 exams will be made available in August. As for learning material, you really don't need anything other than the online Help Files and the Prep Guide PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2010 4:34 AM   in reply to Creative1977

Dart board method.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2010 4:58 AM   in reply to Creative1977

Nothing more then a little jab of sarcasm.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2010 5:15 AM   in reply to Creative1977

This is how i know:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/658103?tstart=0

(too bad that the question was posted in the wrong forum:P)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2010 12:13 PM   in reply to Zeno Bokor

Don't you think that august would be too early, Zeno?

It usually takes Adobe about 6 months for ACE exams after the release of the software (as far as I remember CS4 exams started appearing in febr/march 2009). Unless they changed it now and will start releasing exams earlier?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2010 12:32 PM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

Wouldn't know as i don't have much experience with the ACE exams (only took it once, for Photoshop CS4)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2010 12:36 PM   in reply to Zeno Bokor

I wouldn't worry about the exams. They come out one by one and it takes even up to 8-9 months after the software release, so we may expect Photoshop CS5 exams around september/october maybe even later.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 8:52 AM   in reply to Zeno Bokor
    As for learning material, you really don't need anything other than the online Help Files and the Prep Guide PDF.

Says someone who knows Help inside out AND the application. For preperation material, try www.examaids.com Their exam aids are based on the Prep Guide and contain multiple-choice questions, supplemental/expantory answers, links to "appropriate" help pages and a test simulator.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 11:41 AM   in reply to Creative1977

Some of the questions that you will find on an ACE exam are NOT in Help. A great deal of info can be found at Adobe website. I love TV.Adobe.com

Some questions are about obscure shortcuts. You need to know every aspect of the app, even the parts you don't use! (I almost got killed on the questions about the Device Central -- I just don't use it.) For Photoshop, you need to know the print AND web features, animation, color management, export options, etc. etc. Some questions are very easy, but others are worded in such a way that makes you want to tear your hair out.

In regards to the post asked about certifications becoming "invalid" -- 90 days after the new exam is released, you can no longer "proclaim" yourself an ACE, until you pass the new exam.

I have been using Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat and InDesign since their initial relase. (I fell in love with Illustrator 88!) I've been taking the ACE exams since the inception of Adobe Certification program. I've failed a few, but I don't think I've ever taken an exam more than twice. I would suggest that you read the exam bulletin (posted on their web site) very carefully, and study every topic listed in depth.

Good luck!

An Adobe Certified Instructor (since 1994...?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 11:57 AM   in reply to SJKrup

As far as i know, you can still call yourself an ACE even if you didn't recertify in time, it's just that you cannot use the ACE logos and you have to state which version of Photoshop (or whatever) your certification applies to. Check Exhibit A, second point of this PDF: http://www.adobe.com/support/certification/pdfs/ace_agmt.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 7:20 AM   in reply to Creative1977

If you wish to prepare yourself prior to Adobe releasing the Photoshop CS5 ACE exam, you can do so by using the recently released Photoshop CS5 ACE Exam Aid from Examaids. You can purchase it for Windows or for Mac OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2010 4:02 AM   in reply to Creative1977

I wasn't recommending one over the other. No doubt, both have their minuses and pluses.

Looking at the link you posted earlier, it points to pure market-speak, no substance whatsoever.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 7:43 PM   in reply to Creative1977

I will take it as soon as it's available!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 8:31 AM   in reply to Creative1977

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 3:20 AM   in reply to Eduard Popescu

I did it, I'm a PS CS5 ACE.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 3:36 AM   in reply to mariuca

Congratulations!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 5:53 PM   in reply to Creative1977

Hi Creative1977,

Sorry for the late reply, I have just seen you post...And to clarify a confusing situation, I  have posted about my success using my wife's account (Mariuca) -  that was actually me.

I have tried both Pass4Sure and uCertify's prep engines and decided to buy uCertify's.

My conclusion in uCertify's prep engine

• It  definitely helps with familiarising yourself with the exam format and  it can be very fun to use, but
    • Many of the actual questions are badly  formulated,
    • The grammar is appaling to say the least,
    • Some questions  have more than one correct answer and
    • Some are answered completely wrong!

Useful but very frustrating because of the above mentioned issues.

Study materials

1.  I learnt a lot from the "Classroom in Book" (for CS3). That was the  foundation and I highly recommend it for beginners and  intermediate users.

2. Then I bout the official CS3 User's Guide from Ebay. I don't think they  provide the printed User Guide at all since CS4, but you can find all  that information in program's Help. I went through the manual  thoroughly  from cover to cover and I recommend that to anyone wishing  to get into the depths of Photoshop.

3. uCertify's prep engine helped me to familiarise with the exam format and to find out which areas I had to improve on.

4. I didn't use that for the exam, but I think that "Real World  Photoshop" books might also help, here's an an extract about the  blending modes (an area where I found the User's Guide doesn't provide  proper information for the end user, it seems to address rather to  programmers):

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1332852

5. The tutorials from www.lynda.com where also a great help, especially Chris Orwig's:

http://www.lynda.com/authors/Chris-Orwig

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points