Skip navigation
gpbell
Currently Being Moderated

Feature Requests - Adobe Reader for Android

May 26, 2010 4:23 AM

Adobe Reader for Android is a good start, it renders well (and renders 2 pages at a time), and the UI is nice, but there are some missing features.

Please can we have the following features added in the next update;

# Bookmark support, including the ability to create and modify bookmarks.

# A method of jumping to a specific page in the document

# Ability to share the file by email

# Ability to copy text

# A method of searching text in the document

Thanks for the app, it looks promising, but needs the above features added to be a better app than Repligo Reader.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2010 5:26 AM   in reply to gpbell

Hi there,

Thank you very much for an invaluable feedback. We appreciate it a lot and are glad you liked it.

Based on your feedback, and the feedback we hear from other users, we'll try to include some/all of the features from the list you've posted in our next feature-set update.

Thanks again,

Varun

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2010 4:01 AM   in reply to gpbell

I would like also to add as feature requests, especially when tablets will be available:

- complete support for XFA Form;

- support for opening PDF documents protected with Adobe LiveCycle Rights Management.

Regards,

Alessio

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2010 5:34 AM   in reply to AlessioGiorgini

Definatly want support for opening PDF documents protected with Adobe LiveCycle Rights Management, but also JavaScript and ability to add plg-ins!D

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2010 10:16 PM   in reply to Ian MR-LmXtn6

Being able to view 3D PDFs would be nice.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2010 2:18 PM   in reply to gpbell

It would be really great if you could add the following features:

• Intra-document links (they display as links at the moment, but don't seem to work)
    • Remembering the last viewed page for a document. It's frustrating to have to manually scroll to that last page viewed in a 1000 page document when reopening it.

Otherwise, the app is great. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2010 2:21 PM   in reply to gpbell

Thanks for asking.

In reflow mode the large arrow at the bottom right for advancing to the next page often hides part of the text.  Please make it at least transparent, or allow an option to hide it.  Otherwise, flow the text around it, altough I imagine that would be more difficult.  Using a swipe to advance the page, with no arrow being displayed at all would be a nice option.

If you do some googling for ereaders that handle pdf files well you'll quickly see it's a big problem.  If you perfected this one it would put you easily in the lead.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm using it on a Samsung Vibrant.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2010 5:58 PM   in reply to gpbell

I would simply like to be able to open password-protected files, which doesn't seem to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 5:19 PM   in reply to gpbell

I second the request for bookmarks, or at least have the reader remember your last position.

I also second the request for being able to jump to a page number.

The current reader is unusable for reading anything more than a few pages.  I want to use it to read 500+ technical manuals.  The inability to jump to a page makes Adobe Reader unusable.

It would also be nice if there was an option to make page up move to the start of the next page at the top of the screen.  The current down arrow moves down roughly a screen, but it drifts, so that you wind up with a page break in the middle of a screen.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 6:43 PM   in reply to Varun Khaneja

I would like to see the ability to manually rotate the page. I use fax to e-mail so everything is portrait. All legal size spreadsheets are always off 90 degree's off even if they rotate with the phone orientation

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2010 8:24 PM   in reply to gpbell

I have been using Reader for Android for a couple of days as a book reader, and have found it to be generally very good in many regards.  Unfortunately there are a few issues that make it almost impossible to use as a book reader:

1. On changing page a page indicator shows in the top, left corner.  (x/yy)  This indicator obscures the text I am trying to read, especially in reflow mode.  It would be less intrusive if it were to appear in the bottom right, or if I could turn it off alltogether.
    2. The page down buttom in the bottom right corner obscures text at the bottom of the page.  This is particularly problematic in reflow mode as it can make the text unreadable.  It should be translucent, or able to be removed altogether.
    3. Bookmarks, or resume at the last open page, are invaluable when returning to a text I am part way through reading.  This would make it vastly more usable.  It would be good if this could also restore the previous zoom or font size.
    4. In page mode, the "next page" button does not move one page at at time.  This is still usable, but it would be nice to have single page rather than continuous mode available.

In all other regards I have found the reader to be reliable, fast and very well presented.  These are the issues that I find make it unsuitable as a ebook reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2010 11:13 PM   in reply to fr3dd0fr0g

Hi,

We appreciate your feedback and will try and incorporate many of these suggestions and feature requests in the next release of the Reader.

Thanks,

Gaurav

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2010 2:31 PM   in reply to gpbell

I'll add my 2c worth!

First off, nice app, it renders nicely and is acceptably quick on my (low-end) hardware.

My top-priority requests, which are already mentioned by other people as well:

• A night-reading mode. I can't use this in bed currently, because it annoys my wife (and hurts my eyes)!
    • Return to the last viewed page when re-opening a document.
    • Fade/blend the down arrow so that it doesn't obscure text behind it.
    • In page mode, align the page to the top of the screen when stepping to a new page.

It's strange how many really awful PDF readers are available for Android. Adobe and Repligo are the only ones that I think are truly good; the first one to get a night reading mode will probably win my love forever

Thanks,

Rob.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 10:44 AM   in reply to gpbell

Hit-mob makes a printer app with API for android.  It would be nice if Adobe Reader could print using that.

http://hit-mob.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=66

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2010 2:26 PM   in reply to gpbell

Please add at least Return to the last viewed page when re-opening a document PLEASE

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 2:23 AM   in reply to fr3dd0fr0g

Thanks fr3dd0fr0g, I was just looking for the best place to post the exact same wish list and you have sorted it for me

I would like to say that this an excellent piece of software and having 'upgraded' from my Sony 505 to Android, the PDF reflow is excellent.

EXCEPT when you page down (after working out what the last word was behind the grey heart) and your eyes flick up up to top left to read the first word of the new page and ...  it's obscured by a black rectangle telling you what page you are on .

Please, please give the option to remove in the next release, or better still remove and give the option to add it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2010 3:45 PM   in reply to Varun Khaneja

One more request - the ability to open/read PDF portfolios.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2010 11:58 AM   in reply to gpbell
    • A horizontal swipe as an option to navigate forwards/backwars
    • Allow external links (just create Intents)

Is there any indication on the timing of a new release?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2010 6:58 AM   in reply to gpbell

Also ability to use and navigate with embedded links in a PDF file.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 11:28 AM   in reply to gpbell

JavaScript support will rock!

I've tested version X and hangs with JavaScript pdfs.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2010 10:46 PM   in reply to gpbell

The ability to fill out and save forms, especially in tablet applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2010 5:18 PM   in reply to gpbell

Would you please share whether or not the capability to view 3D PDF's in the Android PDF viewer is in the plans for the near future?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 8:59 AM   in reply to gpbell

I second all the feature requests that have been presented. I would like to add one to the list.

The ability to add highlighting to text and also adding notes to the a high light. I use highlighting all of the time when I am using PDF documents to prepare lessons for instructing classes on my laptop and add notes to page that will help me present the lesson to a class.

I have been testing the Adobe Reader for Android on a Samsung Galaxy Tab. It is one of the best reader I have found so far. I just expect the Adobe to pack a bit more power and usefulness into a product.

SD

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 9:54 AM   in reply to kjfish

We badly want to do a demo on an Android tablet device

but cannot do so until Android Reader supports embedded

links to other PDF files.

This feature is very important to us. Can you give us

a clue as to when/if this feature might be available?

Thanks....

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 11:44 AM   in reply to zaria2

Thanks for your invaluable feedback. We will certainly try and add some of the features mentioned above in our next major release soon. Till then stay tuned and keep us posted with your ideas.

-mayank

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 2:04 PM   in reply to gpbell

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus asking for support for Rights Managed PDF documents. This is one of the missing features thats hindering our mobile device strategy at the moment.

Thanks,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 10:46 PM   in reply to bbuie1

bbuie1 wrote:

Would you please share whether or not the capability to view 3D PDF's in the Android PDF viewer is in the plans for the near future?

I would love to have that as well. Just imagine how incredibly handy that would be on a tablet! And as you're on it, we need Flash-support as well. We've started doing technical documentation using the PDF-format to provide interactive maintenance manuals for machinery and such. We heavily use 3D-Annots and Flash-GUIs for those. Having them run on a mobile device would open up a whole new market for using pdfs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2010 8:07 PM   in reply to gpbell

I'd like to have the following features added to the Android version of the reader:

• Single-page view, where the entire page is shown, scaled to the entire screen and the top left of the page is positioned at the top left corner of the screen
    • Jump to a given page
    • Page number indicator moved from top left corner, since it covers up text

I wouldn't mind if all the UI elements of the reader shared a single toolbar, not overlapping the text. That way UI elements wouldn't obscure parts of the text and they'd be always available. I'm not really a fan of having to tap to get to the paging buttons, since I need them frequently (the screen is small so it cannot hold a lot of text, which means frequent paging.)

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2010 6:52 PM   in reply to gpbell

My company is anxiously looking to find out if you will be supporti

ng XFDF, FDF features so we may display and submit forms on Android Tablets!

The marriage of Adobe Forms, the Web and Tablets blows the doors open to numerous new applications and markets and squarely puts Adobe as the focal point of such solutions.

Our  software has been PC-based and the 75% of our solution is usable for the tablet market.  The other 25% of our functionality relies on displaying and completing Adobe forms over the web.  Our customers are BEGGING for it.

So can you PLEASE PROOVIDE INSIGHT AS TO IF/WHEN you would be including full form functionality in the READER product for Android?

Many of us ANXIOUSLY await your resonse! Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2010 2:10 AM   in reply to gpbell

Possibility to annotatate PDFs, highlight text and so forth.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 8:43 AM   in reply to edinteract

We have a very important trade show we are going to in June

and we very badly want to show our Android school model app

on a tablet at that time. To do that, we need an upgrade

to A10 Reader for the Android OS that includes at least

the ability to click on embedded links in a PDF file and have

them open other PDF files and then go back to the "previous view."

We would need this feature no later than the end of April.

Please advise whether it is likely this feature will be

available then.

Thanks....

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 8:18 AM   in reply to gpbell

Overall it is a pretty good application but the lack of a rotation option makes it hard to use for many pdfs.

But I really wish there was a rotation option. I get PDFs all the time that are scanned which are rotated 90 degrees. There is no easy way to view them easily since the sensors in the phone will autorotate the orientation if I rotate the phone to view the document properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2011 8:51 PM   in reply to Rob Brooks-Bilson

Hello all!

Does anybody know when the support for Policy protected documents (LiveCycle Rights Management) will be available for Reader for Android?

Thanks

Diego

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 10:02 PM   in reply to gpbell

Support for basic form field entry would be nice, including signature capturing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to gpbell

Support for filling out PDF forms and Formcalc/Javascript calculations would open up a whole new world of possibilities. My company wishes to develop fillable forms for tablet application for use in the oil & gas industry. We are an international company that would immediately adopt Reader as our primary invoicing application if these abilities were available to us. Any idea on when we can see these features added to a new Reader release for Android? Are these features much of a priority?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2011 11:17 PM   in reply to MayaGupt

One word:

BOOKMARKS!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2011 12:12 AM   in reply to gpbell

I think XFA Dynamic Form support for Adobe reader android is really a must-have.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 5:31 PM   in reply to gpbell

I would love to see DRM support added. All my text books have a third party protection from Vitrius called protectedpdf. I requires students to log in with their university ID and password in order to unlock the pdf and read it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 6:42 PM   in reply to chrisdavis73

hahah I know these guys from Vitrium.

In fact, if the Reader fully supports Javascript, it's enough because I believe that ProtectPDF solution is built on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 11:19 PM   in reply to chrisdavis73

I am also a student. I would like to see an update or an ap that allows me to read my E-textbooks on my Android tablet PC. My tablet currently downloads the pdf and it attempts to open it, but I am unable to enter the required username and password to actually see the document.

Adobe, Are there any plans to make this functionality possible?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points