Skip navigation
green_mamut
Currently Being Moderated

after adding 5 pictures the file size is 10x bigger

Nov 1, 2010 12:47 PM

Hello,

I designed a web site and added 7 pictures (all together 800kb) with layer stack and blending options.

The svg file was 320kb now it' apx. 6mb ...

how to get the file smaller?

Greetings

mamut

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 2, 2010 6:06 AM   in reply to green_mamut

Same issue here as well. I tried creating a flash site with 3 images (10 k each), and was shocked to see the SWF size!..

Came across this thread, where this issue was already reported. (see the below thread)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/745781?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 9:03 PM   in reply to green_mamut

Hello,

Would you be able to provide the files you  are referring to? Please upload and post them here and our development  team will take a closer look.

Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah

Forum Moderator

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2010 5:55 PM   in reply to green_mamut

Hello,

Thanks for sharing these! The development team is acutally looking for the anh files. Do you have these available to upload?

Thanks again!

Sarah

Sarah

Forum Moderator

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 11:34 AM   in reply to green_mamut

You can scale down images to make the file sizes lighter.

Are you using the Clipping Frame (Insert > Media Objects > Clipping Frame) to add images to your file? If so, follow these steps to resize an image. If you are just working with an image in the workspace, without the clipping frames, just use steps 5 and 6 to downsample an image.

1. Double-click on a clipping frame image to enter into editing mode. The percentage indicator on the sliding magnification bar will tell you if the source image is large (12% is a very large image!).

Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 1.50.32 PM.png

2. Ensure the image is selected and click the Copy button.

3. Exit image editing mode by returning to the Sheet level by clicking in the document breadcrumb.

4. Paste the image into the document. It will be very big on the stage.

5. Scale down the down to a smaller size by grabbing a corner handle and scaling the image, or using Transform and adjusting the WIDTH AND HEIGHT percentages. (Conveniently, if you input 12% into the Width or Height box (while keeping the Lock Aspect Ratio option selected) the image scales down to the same size as the clipping frame you were using previously.)

Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 2.25.11 PM.png

6. Double-click the image again to enter into Bitmap Image mode and select Transform > Downsample to Screen.

Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 2.23.12 PM.png

7. Select the image and click the Copy button, then delete the image from the stage.

8. Double-click to get back into your clipping frame.

9. Select the image already in the frame, and delete it.

10. Click the Paste button to insert the new image into the clipping frame. It should display a better percentage such as 98 or 100%.

Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 2.15.50 PM.png

11. Save the file. You should find the file size to be much smaller now.

OK, looking over that now it is quite the list of things to do to optimize images for the screen. Hopefully there will be an easier way to downsample or optimize images for screen and print in the next coming releases.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 4:26 AM   in reply to SarahEssary

@green_mamut I believe that your problem may be also that Rome transcodes JPG to PNG (even though the files don't have any transparency), hence the 10x file growth

Hey, thanks for the reply. Here are my files:

http://www.box.net/shared/6hftc4ey46

When the original files are in png Rome behaves good (files are not growing), but of my images (bg.jpg) is in JPG format and is 13 kB originaly, but it's transformed to PNG in output and grows to about 70kB.

Does Rome have JPG output possibilities?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 5:10 AM   in reply to green_mamut

Hi green_mamut,

I just downloaded all your images which you have uploaded in this thread, and it seems to me that you just renamed the extension of some of your images as jpg (rather than converting them to jpg's using some image editors).

For example, take a look at your "799px-Volvo_Ocean_Race_2009a.jpg" image property. You can notice that the thumbnail of that image says "jpg" where as the details pane tells that the image is in png format. I tried converting this image as jpg using mspaint and the size got reduced to 39.5 KB (where its was 349 KB previously).

The same is applicable for other images like, Volvo-Ocean-Race-volvo-1023287_534_800.jpg and vor_illbruck_1200.jpg as well.

img_mismatch.JPG

I would suggest you to convert all your pngs to jpg images using any image editor and then you can check whether it has any impact on your SWF output.

HTH

-- David R

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 8:16 AM   in reply to green_mamut

That's exactly the problem! Rome exports everything as png (even if the imported file is jpg). I have the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 8:23 AM   in reply to green_mamut

Ah yes, sorry, I see what you mean now GM. And yes, it does appear that Rome's conversion of images from JPEG to PNG does significantly inflate the filesize beyond a reasonable margin. For example, the 799px-Volvo_Ocean_Race_2009a.jpg startsat 189kb and ends at 1,180kb when Exporting Images as Separate Files.

Perhaps this should be logged as a bug?

11-10-2010 8-09-59 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 8:31 AM   in reply to jayheins

@green_mamut - Sorry mate. I never knew those images were only for testing purposes.

@chodorowicz_ @jayheins - Good observation and I am sure it must be a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2010 4:51 AM   in reply to green_mamut

Dont Forget this is Early stages of Adobe Rome ^^.

I sure they will fix it soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2010 4:53 AM   in reply to DeBjrotux

Yup!. This is kinda pre-release for ROME, and still a long way to go I believe!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 7:54 AM   in reply to green_mamut

Workaround for this is to convert the files to jpg and change the extension back to png. It may be not a perfect solution but it works.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points