• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADE in Android?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to read files protected with ADE on an Android phone? My local library has an ebook service, but they're all ADE ePub or PDF. I'd really like to borrow them. I have fbreader, but it won't touch Adobe's drm, obviously.

Suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to throw my vote into the hat. I am interested in an ADE solution for Android OS as well. Checking out books online is great, but i want to read it on an Android  tablet, many of which are to be released in the second half of this year. I hope Adobe is working on a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shortcovers is a version of KOBO ebook reader.  It is based on Adobe EPUB format.  So far I haven't figured out how to import books into my shortcovers app it seems to use the web browser to read the books on my account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes heard, and counted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another request for this. Android is really kicking off big time now and with the depth of devices it's going to on you want to get in there early with ADE support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if the new Adobe Reader for Android supports ADE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried and was unable to read an ADE protected book in PDF on my Android Samsung Galaxy S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I have done to read library books:

Make sure both Adobe Digital Editions and txtr account have same Adobe

Account info as far as email and password

Rent library book, download to PC (at this point you should be able to

read the book on your PC)

Logon to txtr account on your PC, UPLOAD the book from your PC by

browsing to where book downloaded to

Open txtr on your phone, in the Archive section select Inbox, you

should see your library book listed, select it to download, then you

should be able to read.

I didn't have any luck transferring books from PC to phone via ADE by

USB connection!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point I am pulling the plug on ADE.  I will not buy another book in the pdf format.  It is very frustrating to have paid for something to find it to be of limited use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just like to add my vote for ADE on Android. It would be great to be able to read my digital library books on my adroid phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it is worth.  I would like to say that I could perhaps understand not including Adobe Digital Editions on Android because of system limitations and what not.  However, would it not be theoretically plausible to create an Adobe Digital Editions reader essentially creating an ADE profile making the phone or app a device?  That is how the eReaders like the Nook and others that use Android as their OS do it.  Somehow they have an ADE profile file that does all the communications and opens the doors for the books.  Unless they somehow added Flash on those devices I don't see why it would be more difficult to create the same type thing for the Phone/tablet/netbook OS as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer.  I've had an ebook on hold from my library via Overdrive and was looking forward to reading it on my HTC Evo.  Today the book became available, but it took quite a while to figure out I wasn't going to be able to get it on the Android.  Nothing I had read through my library's website, Overdrive, or ADE had indicated Android was unsupported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2010 Jul 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK i found this link to and Android app.

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobereader/2010/05/introducing_adobe_reader_for_a.html

There is says it opens PDF files.  My question is still the same as the rest hear i believe.  If i get the Android Pad and download this app will it open and read the PDF e-reader files from my local library?  I dont want to buy the pad if this is not possible as this is the reason im getting any kind of e-reader in the first place.  Some here say it doesnt but the video shows them opening a PDF file.  Does it only open some document like files and not e-book type ones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2010 Jul 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think JimLester answered that very clearly already.  No it won't.  It's for basic PDF viewing and nothing more.  No forms, no digital editions, no Rights Management, no Reader Extensions.

Apparently, those things are in the plan, but they have other platforms that they want to provide basic PDF viewing on before they can get around to adding extras onto the platforms that already have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2010 Jul 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a little more internet digging and i found this app which works for some android

items.  Does anyone know if it works for the tablet?

Aldiko Book Reader

http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com.aldiko.android/

The site says it works for the EPub type files that some librarys have.  I still havent seen a full App for the book PDFs, But if this one will work for some i might still get the tablet and wait for and PDF app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Aldiko does not work on the CruzMicro T301 Android 2.2 Tablet been there tried that in fact i haven't found any >pdf reader that works for my Text Books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That device is not supported.

===============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another vote to please get an Android-compatible version of ADE

working so I can check out ebooks from my library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another vote for Android support for Adobe Digital Editions. I'd love if I could read digital library books and purchased digital books on my HTC Incredible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it is worth.  The Nook app includes ADE.  However, it seems that it doesn't support books with DRM aside from protected DRM books from Barnes and Noble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Nook app work for ADE book from public libraries?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I can't say.  I haven't used any books from the library.  I know the app supposedly supports loaning books so I assume it would be the same deal.  I have some books I downloaded from KOBO and I haven't tried them yet I kept having issues with trying to copy books that didn't exist to my sd card through ADE but now I have one that actually shows size so who knows.

Ok so I just tried to open the Stand which I bought from KOBO and it is a no go.  I can read it in ADE but not on the Nook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I download books from the library all the time and usually read them on my Tablet PC

but I have gotten them to work on my phones.

The mobipocket books with DRM from the library have worked on my verizon droid .  Unfortunately the vast

majority of the books are epub or pdf.  I think I used the 'iReader' app which allows you to put in your

mobipocket PID number both in the droid as well as up on the library site and then it will open them.

It will usually say 'unable to open' and then it opens them and loads them to the droid.

The old Adobe (I used to use version 6 to read ebooks but then Adobe screwed things up after that)

worked fine for sending things to my old Windows PC phone.  But when they came out with that horrible

ADE it didn't work anymore.  How can a company be so regressive to have had a perfectly good working

product like the Adobe 6 (or maybe it was 7) and then pitch it for the stupid current reader -- you can't

even change the font size for heavens sake.

I have been looking for an ereader and haven't found  the perfect one to satisfy me yet since I want to

be able to download library books as well as buy new books.  Also want it to read academic journal

articles without it messing up the formatting.  I have already purchased two ereaders and ended

up taking them back.  The Sony drove me crazy because of the screen redraw and the incredibly long

time it took to turn pages -- I read pretty fast and that was unacceptable in keeping a reading flow going.

I got the Libre by Alurtek and that did read the epub DRM but the formatting was terrible with line breaks in

all the wrong places.  Also it kept forgetting how to open a DRM and I had to keep going back and resetting

it.  It stopped working completely after 2 weeks so I took it back.  However, it did a fast page turn.

I think I probably will spring for a android tablet (been looking at the velocity micro ones and they look pretty

neat and a good price) but will still have the problem of not being able to read the adobe drm library books.

Carin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm amazed to read your post!  I have the same problems and reading needs apparently. I've been downloading books from my local library for years, starting with Adobe 5, then 6.  I had/have a Palm Treo that I used.  Once Adobe stopped ebooks and went to ADE I was stuck downloading Mobipocket ebooks.  And you're right, there isn't nearly the selection of books available in this format.  I'm dismayed with the inability and lack of awareness towards the needs of consumers of libraries.  More and more people are relying on digital books by choice and no one wants to carry a plethora of devices for all the different formats.

I recently dumped an iphone in favor of the HTC Evo and among the top reason was that Overdrive Media, the overseer and facilitator of ebooks for libraries released a news post that they were making available epub books for mobile devices, androids to be the first to get released.  Further communication with Overdrive, via email, disclosed that, though they couldn't tell when, it was eminent.  This was in mid May, 2010. For those of us patiently waiting for over 2 years now, each day seems like a lifetime.

I too tried the Sony reader and couldn't deal with the screen redraws!  I've returned 2 of them, and found the same on all readers I've tested so far, leaving me back with the Palm Treo  I'd like to retire my Treo and start using my Evo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines