Skip navigation
cknr1
Currently Being Moderated

Action scene editing question + video

Nov 11, 2010 6:44 AM

A couple of days ago I directed an action sequence called 'Silent takedown' using Premiere CS5 and After Effects. The goal was to do a very fast paced editing style but still within the realm of 'classic' action films from '90 like Face/Off and Mission Impossible 2. I've got some question regarding Sound, Editing and the color correction using the built in three point lighting effect in PP. Please criticize this movie constructively on those subjects. Thank you.

Here's a full link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O62_hYOmlaY

Thanks for watchin'

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2010 5:57 PM   in reply to cknr1

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your stuff which is really good..you can see yourself whatever tehcnical probs exist with frame sizes (letterboxing sometimes), lighting etc. Good action and pretty good effects.

first of all I have to admit that to really do a critical analysis ( critque) that is deserving of the time and work you put into this would mean I would almost have go through it very carefully and slowly and spend quite a lot of time on looking at it more than one or two times.  It is very good and deserves that kind of attention.

the story is the most important thing in my opinion..and developing that story means introducing "characters" ( protagonists and antagonists) and hooking the audience in a way that they care about those characters....care what happens to them..what choices they make, how they act, etc.

for example, why not introduce the character who is sticking his nose in the coke in the office first...and get us intrested in why anyone with a mask might be protecting him?

he is probably a bad guy so its not so terrible to see him killed...but if we see him doing something first...like being some kind of big gangster, in control of the city , ( maybe on the phone talking about his giant kingdom and his bad influence ) , it makes it more satisfying to see him killed.

could have spent a few more frames on the good guy ( without mask at first ) pulling on his mask ( to fake out the bad guys..the ones with the masks )...that was rushed...

the story is paramount...and all the action has to lead to resolving the tension between the protagonists and the antagonists...

which means, you can whittle down the "action " and so on ( effects etc ) even though it looks great and you can do it well...to just tell the "story"....

sooo, after you have the good guys storm the bad guys....develop a little more why someone without a mask ( maybe a good guy but a traitor to the good guy camp? ) ends up shooting another guy witout a mask....

its not bad to have a lot of action, but during that process, tell the story...so we can

1) believe in the character

2) care about them and what happens to them

3) root for one or the other ( hope one or the other wins or gets the girl, or ends up being a hero ---we "identify " with someone....)

sooooo, as I am suggesting, the story is the main thing and important to capture our attention, keep it, and make us feel something.

The "action" ( which you are good at doing ) is a tool along the way to achieving that goal....dont go nuts with it

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2010 8:55 PM   in reply to cknr1
    The bank robbery is in regular widescreen, while most of the film is in anamorphic.

That is actually a technical error with the Blu-ray mastering.  Neither the theatrical print nor the DVD suffered from it.  It is a visually jarring situation that I agree should be avoided.

I would somewhat disagree with the previous critique about 'character', but only because this comes across as a scene, not a story.  It is one part of a whole.  Given that whole, I'd expect to see the missing 'characters'.

My own primary criticism of the piece would be to avoid AE blood spatters and ALWAYS use squibs.  Seeing gun shots with no hole is a throwback to westerns of old that modern audiences will no longer tolerate.  This, I feel, is the primary issue that takes your work down a notch to the amateur level.  There are other issues that contribute to that, but using squibs, I'd elevate it at least to film school student level.  Without them, it comes across as more of a "backyard wannbe" piece.

Sorry if that seems harsh.  I'm a pretty tough critic.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2010 7:45 AM   in reply to cknr1

Regardless of how they were shot, the scenes all appeared as one aspect ratio on screen in mainstream theaters, and as well on the DVD release.  No one saw changing aspect ratios until the Blu-ray was released.

And I still think it's a jarring error on the part of the Mastering house.  Even if it were done on purpose, I still feel it's an "error" that needs correction.  It really is annoying (and actually keeps me form buying the Blu-ray version until it's fixed.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points