Skip navigation
jonel33
Currently Being Moderated

PSE9 Organizer Backup

Nov 10, 2010 4:31 PM

I cannot backup my catalog in PSE9.  I'm trying to do a full catalog backup but when the program shows the dialog box "Calculating Total Media Size" the program seems to stop at that point.  I've let the program run for an hour or more with no change.  I've checked the task manager and it shows PSE9 as running but there is no CPU activity.  I am running Win 7  64 bit with 4 GB of memory.  As far as I can tell everything else is OK with the program (at least everything I've used so far) but I would really like to get my catalog backed up.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

John

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 10, 2010 5:19 PM   in reply to jonel33

Hi,

Try to repair the catalog and optimize it once, Are you the administrator of the computer ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 10:10 PM   in reply to jonel33

John,

I have never had this problem in the several years that I've used the Backup/Restore command with PSE. But that step does take a long time with no PSE progress bar letting you know how it is progressing.

About how many items are in your Catalog? For a large Catalog, calculating the media size can take several minutes, not an hour with no end in sight. My Catalog has almost 28k pictures and this step takes several minutes.

You've already indicated you have repaired the Catalog. When the Repair command came back saying there were no errors, did you click on Repair Anyway or stop the command at that point? If you stopped it, you may want to run it again and let PSE proceed to run the repair routine.

Are you backing up the catalog to an external hard drive or CD/DVDs? This is probably not relevant, but...

Don S.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to jonel33

Hi,
        Here is the list what you can do--

1--    Reset preferences from--Start--run--%appdata%--Adobe--Elements Organizer--9.0--move Organizer folder to desktop.
        also move online services folder to desktop from--Start--run--%appdata%--Adobe--Online Services
    2--    Try to launch editor and goto--edit menu--preferences--performance (increase the performance to 85%)
    3--    Try to recreate the problem.
    4--    Create a new user (admin) account and check it there, make sure you have read and write permissions on the disk.
    5--    If issue still persists uninstall and reinstall the software.

Waiting for your response--

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2010 7:52 AM   in reply to jonel33

John,

One thing that I can offer as a suggestion is uninstalling/reinstalling the program should have no impact on the Catalog file nor your photos. I know it is scary to think about losing your tags etc, but it won't happen. To confirm that, you could search the forum. I suspect you will find many related questions that confirm that. That's what I would do.

By the way, I discovered a couple of errors in my earlier reply regarding the time to do certain steps of the Full Backup command. I successfully backed up my Catalog to an external drive last night and made a point at noting certain elapsed times. Right now my Catalog has just over 28K photos and the backup folder is about 190 Gb.

After setting up the backup location etc and clicking on Save Backup (I believe that was the term on the button) there was  with the progress steadily and slowly moving right. After that, the main progress bar appeared. It takes a couple of minutes to get off of zero. That is when I figure things are working right and leave the area. Last night the successful backup took well over 4 hr. I don't know how long, because I went to bed. :-)

Sorry for the misinformation in my earlier post. It's not a good idea to go from one's memory at times.

Ashish, I too don't understand everything you wrote. For one thing, I was not sure if theses were different things to try or a step-by-step instructions. If they were the former, I was wondering what to do next at times if I were the one trying to follow your suggestions.

FWIW

Don S.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2010 9:34 AM   in reply to Don26812

Alright Don,
        let me put it in this way.....these are the steps which needs to be followed up sequentially.
        Step 3 says to recreate the problem, otherwise we can try new user account, actually new user account is tried to eliminate the problem of permissions on computer. And as you said is correct, reinstallation will not delete keywords and tags. I have done it several times. After all it seems to be a problem of performance

John, this is for you--Increasing the performance for editor will also effect Organizer, as this option only resides inside editor not Organizer.

1--    Reset preferences from--Start--run--%appdata%--Adobe--Elements Organizer--9.0--move Organizer folder to desktop.
        also move online services folder to desktop from--Start--run--%appdata%--Adobe--Online Services
    2--    Try to launch editor and goto--edit menu--preferences--performance (increase the performance to 85%)
    3--    Try to recreate the problem.
    4--    Create a new user (admin) account and check it there, make sure you have read and write permissions on the disk.
    5--    If issue still persists uninstall and reinstall the software.

Otherwise try two more steps,
    1--Run the software as administrator
    2--Try creating a new test catalog ,put some images in there and try to backup to analyze the problem

Regards,
    Ashish

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2010 1:09 PM   in reply to Ashish_Kumar

Thanks for the carification, Ashish. Your suggestion to run the program as an administrator (right click on the link to see that choice) is really a good one, and one to try first. I keep forgetting about that choice. It has made certain problems go away for me in the past. It definitely should be one of the first things someone should try when things fail to work right, because it is so easy.

Also, thanks for the tip regarding the Performance setting in the Editor also affecting the Organizer's performance. I was not aware of that.

Take care,

Don

www.donstouder.com

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2010 1:15 PM   in reply to jonel33

Try the Administrator as suggested by Ashish. It's quick and just may work. I'm sorry I could not be of more help. I'm beginning to think it is a Ctalog issue, which means it will work proprly on a new test Catalog.

Take care,

Don

www.donstouder.com

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2010 1:40 PM   in reply to jonel33

I don't know what you are using as your backup media, but I found a problem using DL DVD's although regular DVD and CD's worked for my small databases. I was also using Win 7 64 bit shortly after a complete system rebuild because of a hard disk crash - about as clean an install as possible.

Have you tried backup up to a hard disk and then backing up to removable media using another app (I use Nero)? I is less convenient but may be a decent workaround.

If the backup to a disk directory works then you will have learned something too.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2010 2:09 PM   in reply to jonel33

That's great, John.

Take care,

Don

www.donstouder.com

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...