Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FAQ: How do I add my own plug-ins?

Nov 9, 2010 9:29 AM

This public beta preview of Adobe Audition for the Mac does not scan for your existing audio plug-ins on startup.  This allows for a significantly faster launch time, as well as provides you more control over what effects are available and minimizes crashes due to incompatible plug-ins.

Once Audition has launched, click Effects > Audio Plug-in Manager... to bring up a dialog.  Here you can adjust which folders will be scanned for plug-ins and scan them.  You can select which effects are available to the application if you wish, or just enable all of them.  In the event that a plug-in causes Audition to crash or otherwise reports it is incompatible, the effect will be marked as unavailable in this list and will not be scanned again.  (In the event of a faulty installation or if you wish to attempt rescanning these blacklisted effects, you can remove them from the list and Audition will attempt to load them again the next time you scan.)

We ask that you submit the Crash Report in the event that Audition crashes on scanning plug-ins.  It is our goal with this public preview release to ensure compatibility or reliability with as many third-party effects plug-ins as we can, and the more data you can send us about these issues, the more likely we can get these problems resolved for the final release.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2010 8:59 AM   in reply to _durin_

The only plugins that populate this list are the ones that crash audition. (and there are lots of them)  Once the plugin manager finsihes a full non- crashed run (after countless restarts to blacklist crashed plugins) the "passed" plugins do not show up in the master list. Only the "crashed"/bypassed ones. Any suggestions here?

I'll check the list again, but so far I only saw the disabled plugins and not the good ones there.

edit:: FInally showed up in the list.  There has to be a better way to stop plugins that crash this. It takes forever to setup if you have a large number of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 2:58 PM   in reply to xgman

If you are using plug-ins that require the Pace iLok copy protection, please have the iLok inserted in the machine when scanning.  This applies to all iLok protected plugs, even demos.

There is an issue that causes random crashes when scanning 3rd party plug-ins that use Pace copy protection when the dongle is not attached to the computer.

-MattS

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 5:00 PM   in reply to Matt_Stegner

Maybe I missed it. But will there be an option to scan plugins at the start once the Final release is out? I don't know how it really works cause I don't have a Mac to test it out.

It's not a big deal if I have to keep scanning for plugins for each session. But it's more convenient to have at least the ones I would use more often, so I can just get right into it. It would be cool if I can save my sessions as the default sessions, and already have those certain plugins loaded into the racks with each start up.

But i'm speaking from ignorance, cause this is probably still possible, I just don't have this Beta to play with.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 5:09 PM   in reply to AftersixSeven

You will not have to scan every session, only if you add new plug-ins to the computer and want to use them.

Once you scan and enable, the plug-ins will be in the effects menu until you either re-scan and make changes in the Audio Plug-in Manager or delete your preferences.

-MattS

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 5:25 PM   in reply to Matt_Stegner

Thank you! I was confused. Cause if they're not being scanned upon start-up, I figured you'd have to re-scan each time you opened up the program.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 5:04 PM   in reply to _durin_

Issue I'm having is AA 3 sees Tube tech vst plugin - no scanning issue but when i go to select Effects - Vst - other Tube Tech is there but grayed out. any ideas?

Edit - no longer grayed out but i'm only presented with presets - no Tube tech CL 1b interface

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 11:24 AM   in reply to Loren Phillips

"no longer grayed out but i'm only presented with presets - no Tube tech CL 1b interface"

We are currently working on that bug.

-MattS

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2010 1:04 AM   in reply to _durin_

Just a quick question... What file extension are the VST effects for Mac? I assume coming from a Windows system I can't use the .dll files. There are plugins called 'Audio Units' and 'Carbonized' which seem to be the standard... What is everyone else using in VST format?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2010 11:25 AM   in reply to Nigel Bateman

The extension is .vst. VST plugins on Mac are normally to be put into library/audio/plug-ins/vst folder. PC plugins will of course not work. If you want to try some freeware Mac VST plugins, Voxengo has some (i.e. Span, TubeAmp). VST format on Mac is not very popular, the default plugin format for OS X is Audio Units (AU).

Cheers,

Maciej

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 3:50 AM   in reply to Synthdance

Yeah I have noticed that AU plugins work really well... Every VST I have tried to install has not showed up on the scan (and yes they are in the right directory).

I will try some more free VST plugins and see if I can get them working. I am sure the first release will have cleared this up.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 9:20 AM   in reply to Nigel Bateman

Can you give a list of VST's you have tried?

Are the VST's that you have tried Universal Binaries or PPC?

-MattS

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 12:21 PM   in reply to Matt_Stegner

As Audition is Intel Mac only, you cannot use PPC VST plugins, they have to be Universal Binary or Intel Mac only. A link to list of freeware UB VST plugins for Mac (generated by KVR search engine):

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft%5B%5D=e&type% 5B%5D=0&f%5B%5D=vst&osx=1&macu=1&free=1&sf=0&receptor=&de=0&sort=1&rpp =100

As for commercial ones, I've tried PSP MasterComp and MasterQ and Voxengo Elephant and Varisaturator, as those are my routine ones. I normally do not use VST plugins on Mac at all, cause my main DAW is Logic, but I've checked those in Audition out of curiosity and they do work (obviously their AU equivalents also work well).

Cheers,

Mac

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points