Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge CS5 crashes when opening

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joseph Heller would be proud.

Adobe Bridge, CS5 crashes when starting up.  I downloaded Photoshop CS5 Extended, installed it on my new MacBook Air (this computer has never seen any CSx product).  Installed the CS5 serial number, installed the SC4 legacy serial number, all is well.  Photoshop runs fine.  I installed all my Nik plugins and Bokeh Plugin.  All is well.  I tried running Bridge, and it crashes during the launch "The operation could not be completed.  An unknown operating system error has occurred."  Adobe released an update, which I downloaded, but during installation, it too crashed (couldn't perform the update and provided a link to Adobe support. 

Fours hours later with Adobe.  Tried:

1) Deleting the PLIST file for Bridge, no luck.

2) Tried the Option Bridge trick to reset all preferences in Bridge, no luck.

3) Created a new Admin account, logged into it, Bridge worked.

4) Adobe technical help said it is now an Apple problem since the program worked with the new admin account.

5) Apple said pound sand, it's an Adobe program, it should work regardless of which admin account.

6) Back to Adobe, talked to third level (still tier 1) person, it's an Apple problem.  He suggested deactivating Photoshop, un-install Photoshop, run a clean script (which I just downloaded but haven't tried) which will wipe out any files that has to do with CS5 that the un-install program doesn't un-install (totally logical), re-download and re-install everything, again (I haven't tried this yet).

Doing a Google search for Bridge crashing while opening reveals a frightening amount of comments with people having similar problems (don't even get me started about Adobe Air).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Arnie...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Hey Arnie,

We have this (older) document about the issue you're describing. The solutions are still valid.

Troubleshoot unexpected behavior that occurs only in a particular user account | Adobe software on Mac OS

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408993.html

Here are the locations of the Bridge specific preferences, you might try moving the Bridge CS5 folders from the following paths to the desktop to ensure they all get re-created and that they exist. I know you had mentioned the PLIST one already in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnie,

Unfortunately, I think the most expeditious thing to do is to uninstall and run the "cleaner" script. Adobe uses the same strategy with "pre-releases" or betas to get rid of all traces of a version like CS5. Then re-install and test each step of the way, starting with PS and Bridge, and doing the updates to each. If you get that far, BACK UP (Time Machine or other) then continue with your add-ons. If something breaks, you can "roll back" to the place before installing the add-ons.

Good Luck!

--Rich Wagner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - no change.

In the new admin account, I deactivated Photoshop, uninstalled PS, ran the clean script, downloaded PS again, ran the install.  Both PS and B work in the new admin account.  Switched to my account, PS works, B = same problem, crashes while opening.  Switched back to the new admin account, ran the updates for PS and B, tested PS and B, they worked.  Switched back to my account, PS works, B crashes.

I'm at a loss.  I'll have to call Adobe again.

It does appear that there is something with my admin account that Adobe doesn't like, but I have no idea where to look, let alone what to look for. 

Thanks for the suggestion Richard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnie,

Sorry if I was not clear in my previous post. You have to run the cleaner script from the old account that isn't working, as there may be something left in that account that is causing the problem. I'd try directly installing from that account - the one you want to use - after removing CS5 and running the cleaner.  That may or may not work, though, because it's still possible that something from the add-ons that you installed is causing the conflict.  But I would give it a try.  Yea, it's a very, very frustrating problem with Bridge. Many of us have been there.  And I've never had any other software with this problem.

--Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried that as well Richard (thanks for the suggestion).  Still no luck.  I called Apple tech support, we did the usual, uninstalled PS, ran clean scripts, went into the user/library and removed any PLISTs that appeared to be associated with PS and B (appeared being the operative word).  Reinstalled PS, and have the same problem.  The new admin account works just fine, my account only runs PS.

I've got a formal complaint into Adobe Corporate.  Maybe that might help.

I'll post an update as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a formal complaint into Adobe Corporate.  Maybe that might help.

Good luck with that but I doubt it will help you...

There is one thing apart from all the options Richard provided you. Since

your new account is working correctly the problem clearly lies in your

normal user account.

There have been other threads about that and I really don't know what causes

it but it seems to be related with Bridge.

You first should try to check and repair your disk permissions. If that is

not solving it you best use your original install disk and run an Archive

and Install procedure for your system.

This leaves all applications and personal files as they are (but for

security first make a back up, which you already had done because you know

that disaster is always possible when using computers, even if they use

flash disks...) and creates a new user library while creating a copy off the

old one.

Run it, check and repair permissions, update the OS with the Combo Update

and again run check and repair permissions and then try again. It will take

you less then an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All --

Just wanted to post up my recent experience with Bridge CS4 and CS5 not launching. 

I was having the issue with both Bridge CS4 as well as CS5 (I have both CS on my machine here at work), and neither rev of Bridge would open up: I got one meager bounce out of the program icons in the Dock and then they would go to "Not Responding" in the Force Quit dialog within a few seconds.  Very frustrating. 

I followed along with the postings here and dug through and got rid of all the prefs noted, but that did not help.  I then repaired permissions using Disk Utility and that did not help.

Eventually I realized I should boot from a separate system disk, so I did that, launched DU, ran Repair Permissions, and now, finally, both Bridges are up and running.  Whew.

Thanks -- I hope this helps some of you.

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Arnie,

We have this (older) document about the issue you're describing. The solutions are still valid.

Troubleshoot unexpected behavior that occurs only in a particular user account | Adobe software on Mac OS

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408993.html

Here are the locations of the Bridge specific preferences, you might try moving the Bridge CS5 folders from the following paths to the desktop to ensure they all get re-created and that they exist. I know you had mentioned the PLIST one already in #3.

The [user] in the path would be your specific user account.

If your user account didn't have Full permissions to Read/Write on any of these directories, that might also be the cause.

1. Users/ [user] /Library/Caches/Adobe/Bridge CS5
   2. Users/ [user] /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Bridge CS5 /
   3. com.adobe.bridge4.plist file located in the Users/ [user] /Library/Preferences

Hope this helps,

Dave B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution:

I went to check the permissions for the Bridge CS5 folder, the folder didn't exist.  I went to Get Info for the Adobe parent folder and my user name wasn't assigned to it for read/write permission.  I unlocked the permission lock and added my account name with R/W permission, Bridge now launches.  I can launch it stand alone or through Photoshop, logged out, logged back in, still good.  Turned the computer off and on, still good.

I think we have a solution.

Dave B.  Thanks so much for the advice.  I would suggest that this information be shared with the technical support team overseas.  The generic response I was getting from them was just a brick wall when it came to this specific issue.  This was not a difficult solution, but it became a difficult solution for no apparent reason.

Thanks for all the suggestions in this forum, and a particular thank you to Dave B. of Adobe.

Back in business.

Arnie...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that worked Arnie.

I found your case from calling support. The information I provided is some which is already available but I'll follow up with the agent(s) you spoke with to ensure they know. I'm sorry for your frustration finding the solution. Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! that's dedication!

There appears to be an 4.04 update to Bridge, but I have not found the release notes...

Could you add an FAQ note to this forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2010 Dec 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PECourtejoie,

It looks like we updated the download page with some additional details about whats included with the 4.04 update. Here is a rundown as I understand it.

- Some top crash fixes (Based on data submitted through the crash reporter)
- Launch performance improvements
- Support for MPEG-PS file previews (for video editors for reviewing source footage)
- Stability improvements when interacting with Adobe Drive

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, David!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2012 Feb 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm have what appears to be the same problem with Bridge (Photoshop CS5) crashing on start up witht the following message: "The operation could not be completed. An unknown operating system error has ocurred". Adobe tech support told me it was a permissions error in OS X (on a MacBook Pro). The tech talked me through setting up a new user account and sure enough it worked; Bridge started OK. However, I want to use my original user account where all my stuff is and use Photoshop/Bridge there. Adobe's tech told me he couldn't help me there that it was an Apple problem. Apple tech support said they weren't familiar with this issue. Does anyone no of a solution to this? Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone no of a solution to this? Thanks...

First thing to try is starting from your normal user account and use Apple Disk utility to check and repair permissions. Also restart Bridge from that account while holding down option key and choose reset preferences.

If all fails you could decide to back up your important files and use the original start up disk for your OSX to restart the computer from. Instead of choosing to re install everything go to the utility menu and choose the option for Archive and Install. This creates only a new library and makes a copy of the old one.

Then use Software update to retrieve the combo update for the latest OS version and you have a fresh system with a fresh working user account while all your files and applications stil are present (but for security, first make a back up!!)

The archive and install plus OS update usually does not take more then 1 hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Omke. I'll give it a try. Kind of surprised by this as my MacBook Pro is new (Macs are new to me). The only other software installed is Microsoft Office, The Nik complete set along with Capture NX 2, and Dropbox. Hardly done anything on the computer and this Bridge problem has prevented me from even starting with Photoshop. It'll be a day or to before I can get to it but will keep you posted...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of surprised by this as my MacBook Pro is new (Macs are new to me). The only other software installed is Microsoft Office, The Nik complete set along with Capture NX 2, and Dropbox.

Welcome to Mac, I'm sure pretty soon you will enjoy it

New or used, as soon as you start installing software and use it, the permissions can change. Personally I have Cocktail installed that does repair permissions and clearing cache on a daily base but in general using check and repair permissions on a regular schedule is not a bad thing to do and often helps to keep your system in good shape.

Dropbox is also doing things on its own at login and Nikon software (sorry to say) has often caused conflicts in the past with other software. Not saying this caused your problem because many users have no problems with those applications. And to be honest, Bridge (although I use it daily and heavily to great satisfaction for my workflow) can be a bit problematic to every now and then....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additonal info, Omke. A whole new learning process but I do love the Apple products...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Didn't have a whole lot of stuff on the machine, nothing of value, so decided it would be cleaner and quicker to Erase the HD and re-install. Just done that and everything's up ready to install applications. Going to install Photoshop first and see if that Bridge error problem returns. Thanks for your help/suggestions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Omke: This has turned into a fiasco unfortunately. Resetting the permissions didn't do it so I went to use the OSX startup disk. As it went through the menus the utility menu didn't appear. Instead it went directly into the installation process. I tried to cancel out but a message said I might not be able to restart the computer again if I cancelled. Kind of committed without any choice to get out of it. At this point the installation has finished but frozen on restart with no way of turning it off. I'm guessing the problem may have arisen because I had Lion installed (from the web download so no disc for that). Guess I'll have to take it to the Apple store and have them reinstall everything. My first experience with Macs is making Microsoft look totally brilliand at this point. I guess the thing that has really ticked me off about this whole thing is that Apple support (who must obviously know of this kind of problem) wouldn't give me the time of day unless I paid $249 for their care plan because I was past my 90 day "warranty". That to me is a real kick in the teeth because installing software after 90 days shouldn't be a warranty issue at all. Is, what should be a simple installation of third party software, commonly problematic with Macs? I was holding off getting an iMac until I got chance to use the MacBook Pro to see how it shaped up. Glad I did hold off and save myself from what could be $3,000 problem. Thanks for your kind help anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I'll have to take it to the Apple store and have them reinstall everything. My first experience with Macs is making Microsoft look totally brilliand at this point. I guess the thing that has really ticked me off about this whole thing is that Apple support (who must obviously know of this kind of problem) wouldn't give me the time of day unless I paid $249 for their care plan because I was past my 90 day "warranty"

Sorry to hear that and yes, support from big companies is not what it should be, can't argue with that.

However assuming you did back up important files (if you had any in that short period) and you have all the serial numbers there should be no problem to install all of it your self again if needed.

If you keep pressing the on/off button on your machine it will get you a force Quit and the machine will shut down. The press again to restart and if no luck try to insert the install disk (but here i'm a bit at loss, don't use Lion yet and have not bought a new Mac for 3 years but I assume there is still an install or repair disk that comes with your MacBook??)

With the disk in the player keep pressing the 'c' key when starting the computer and the computer starts from the disk.

You can first use disk utility from the install disk and use the option to check and repair disk first.

It really is not difficult and you will be better off when experience installation by yourself and in no time don't need support anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Omke: Many thanks for your kind help. I got the machine started off the

CD at least. Repair Disk says the HD is OK. Just got to figure out how

to re-install the OS if that's what's needed. Garry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnie,

I have a similar problem. Can you indicate how and where you unlocked the permission lock and add the account name.

Thanks

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian - while I can't say that the solution that worked for me will work for you, but it is simple to check.

1. Users/ [user] /Library/Caches/Adobe/Bridge CS5
   3. com.adobe.bridge4.plist file located in the Users/ [user] /Library/Preferences

Go to each of these files, or folders (follow the path outlined above).

In my case, number 2 was the problem, the Bridge CS5 file didn't even exist, that was because the parent folder didn't have the correct permission (don't ask me why as my because I log into my Mac with an admin account).

Select the file, don't double click it, single click, then do a command-I which will open an information pane for that particular file.  At the very bottom of the information pane is a Sharing & Permissions section (you may have to click on the down pointing arrow to open it.  There are two columns, Name and Privilege.  If you're specific name isn't listed you will need to add it manually.  In the VERY bottom right is a lock icon, you might need to click it which will open another window, enter your admin password, then click the little plus icon in the lower left and add your admin account name and make sure to set the permission to Read & Write.  Click the lock icon again and you're done.

Like I said above, the Bridge CS5 file didn't exist at all, I went to the parent folder and added myself with R/W and Bridge worked, immediately.

I hope this helps. 

Arnie...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines