Skip navigation
Geoff Vane
Currently Being Moderated

PP CS5  XDCAM Workflow

Nov 19, 2010 6:29 AM

I've read the pdf about XDCAM workflow.

It says you connect the XDCAM and you can read it's clips like files.

Fine, but it does not give any steps in how to actually accomplish that.

I can read from XDCAM like before; as if it is a tape deck with RS442 COM port control.

I can't write to XDCAM as if it is a tape deck; everything happens like normal but there's no video written to disc.

The older adobe/axio system could write like a tape deck AND drop files back via ftp BUT without any timecode which made that option unusable.

So, I guess I need to drop files back onto XDCAM with PP CS5. The new pdf says timecode is added too.

HOW?

It says use USB. My PDW1500 has no USB port.

>>> Could someone give a step by step guide in which is explained how to:

• Hook up the PDW1500 to a Matrox CS5 PC and prepare it for file transfer.
  • Transfer files from XDCAM to Premiere's RAID
  • Transfer master timelines from Premiere to XDCAM disc with timecode.
  • Or write back to XDCAM like to a tape deck (as an alternative if timecode can't be added)

Please do not point to generic files that state you can work like this. I need to know HOW to work like this with XDCAM.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2010 4:54 AM   in reply to Geoff Vane

Sounds like you need the Sony XDCAM driver for your PC or Mac?

http://www.sony.ca/promedia/drivers.htm

The above is what I use so that I can insert the SxS card directly into a Mac or PC and read the media natively off of the card.  I also found this that might be more appropriate to your needs since I'm guessing the 1500 is optical media?

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-software.aspx?model=pdw1500

Once you can effectively mount the media, then it should be a simple file copy to local storage.

To transfer back, I'm not as sure, but Premiere Pro 5.02 supports export to Sony MPEG2 (MXF) so it at least creates the right output media.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 8:53 AM   in reply to Geoff Vane

Geoff Vane wrote:

The 1500 is an optical drive which works with rewritable blue ray discs

I figured it was such.  If it can mount to the desktop, can you just copy the files over to your local storage for editing?

I can't write to the device as if it were a tape.

I have not tried any file level options.

The problem is extended now.

>> I can't write to any deck <<

If anyone knows how to double check the path from timeline to deck, then please let me know.

I don't have any practical experience with these decks so cannot help you as much I'd like.  When exporting a timeline, have you tried going through AME, exporting as Sony MPEG2 and pointing back to your mounted deck as a target destination?

sorry, without the deck, I'm not as helpful as I'd like...

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 11:49 AM   in reply to Geoff Vane

What about firewire for data connection?

It used to work at least with windows XP, don't know about W7.

"i.LINK : IEEE 1394, DV IN/OUT or file access mode"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 3:57 AM   in reply to Geoff Vane

Geoff,

Do you have a 3rd party capture card in your system? CS5 does not provide for RS-422 capture as it was one casualty of 64-bit.  In addition, all of the hardware providers had their own capture utilities, so we felt it a good decision.

So, without a capture card, it's difficult to write back out to tape outside of a firewire based device.  Even if your deck did have that, given it's high-end nature, I would think it unlikely to work.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 3:58 AM   in reply to Geoff Vane

Let me ask a contact at Sony about PDW-1500 and an ability to mount your disc on your desktop.  PC or Mac?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2010 4:58 AM   in reply to Geoff Vane

Geoff Vane wrote:

Dradeke, you're one of the ultra rare Adobe employees who knows how to ask the right questions and actually work towards a solution!

I really think you're doing a great job here.

>> I have a Matrox MXO2 card, which captures fine with it's build in RS 422. Each and every deck can be read and batch-captured from. That same RS 422 port however, won't poll any deck to actually go into record mode; the PC acts like everything is working but all decks just sit there.

>> If you can contact Sony about the PDW-1500 and an ability to mount a disc, please do. I work with PC. Best would be an option to use the Adobe Media browser to grab files from a disc and put edited timelines back onto such a disc as a final master via the same route. If I have to use the wacky Sony software, they must already have added an option to get a genuine time code running when playing back master files dropped to disc. If not, no timecode driven system can read my printed work back in.

Thanks Geoff.

Here's what I got from my Sony buddy - "Dennis, yes, go to Sony.com/xdcam/ click on the downloads link. Go to the NLE software link and download XDB1, XDAM Browser application.  The FAM firewire driver along with the browser application will be installed."

In theory, if it mounts to the desktop, then you should be able to browse the media via Adobe Media Browser.  Let me know how you make out.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points