• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 + 10.6.5 - Delete Photoshop Settings file?

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2010 Nov 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having major issues when starting Photoshop CS4 on an iMac running OS X 10.6.5.  My keyboard almost becomes "stuck" and invokes strange actions.  I am using Spaces and using the Option key + arrow key to move between Spaces.

Tried opening up Fireworks immediately after closing Photoshop and it works properly without any issues.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 132 Replies 132

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try it without Spaces (we know that Spaces still has a lot of problems).

And check the OS keyboard shortcuts (which can override application keyboard shortcuts) -- turn them off as necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot the password to my first account.

Glad to see another person is having the same issue!  I have another computer, exact same setup except using CS3 and the problem is non-existent.  Would really like to not have to bypass Spaces because it is a massive productivity tool.  Can this be submitted as a bug report?  I'd pass it to Apple, but it is strange that this only happens with Photoshop for me and no other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once it starts happening in Photoshop, do you see it in Illustrator too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

asdlfkjaslv,

I'm not sure if that happens or not, actually!  I'll check it out tomorrow and give you an update.  I've also not tried logging out and back in to fix it.  Restarting fixes it, but I'll try the log out option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screencast of what I'm experiencing in Illustrator. Note that it draws constrained lines and objects regardless of whether or not the Shift key is pressed down.

10.6.5 Adobe CS4 Conflict from Salman Sajid on Vimeo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That certainly looks a lot like what is happening with me.  Weird that it only happens in select apps (Photoshop, Illustrator) and not others (Fireworks).  Still have yet to test Illustrator when it happens to me, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I'm experiencing as well, even in Illustrator. It's as if someone is holding down the Shift key all the time. And the funny thing is that it doesn't happen immediately. If I log out and log back in, then everything is normal. But after a few seemingly random minutes, the problem returns. I'll try what Chris suggested and see if that helps. Let us know if you manage to isolate the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have had the same problem for the last couple of days (thinking about it, it started straight after the most recent Mac OSX update). I was running CS3 but had purchased CS5 a few days prior which I was going to install but was too busy to do so.. After the problem started I removed CS3 and installed CS5 but the problem persisted, I've been looking all over for a solution, no one was able to help. I called Adobe support and the not so kind indian on the phone couldn't even understand what my problem was...

Has anyone found a solution to this? I can seem to get photoshop working for a minute or two after logging out/restarting but then it just happens again and I need to log out/restart again to get anywhere...

Any response would be great!!

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

I did use Hyperspaces for a while because of the ongoing issues with the standard Spaces feature.  Once I saw some fixes for this newest version of OS X I uninstalled it.  That is when I started seeing problems.

I've reinstalled Hyperspaces and it seems to work just fine.  Obviously, this is not a great permanent solution but it will help you stay sane for the time being!

Doesn't seem to happen with any other apps, just select Adobe apps.  Maybe this could be submitted as a bug and we could get a patch for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem here, although I'm using CS5 instead of CS4. Only Photoshop seems to be affected. InDesign is running well.

I DO NOT use spaces. I couldn't figure out, what triggers this behaviour, yet. Right after starting Photoshop, everything works as expected. But rather sooner than later (maybe only after using some other apps for some time) Photoshop behaves exactly as seen in the video. Restarting Photoshop doesn't help. I have to log out and on again (or reboot the machine). System.log doesn't look suspicious, although I'm not sure I've seen errors like these before:

[0x0-0xfa0fa].com.adobe.InDesign[989] Wed Nov 17 15:48:12 Professor-Wernstrom.local Adobe InDesign CS5[989] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGSFindSharedWindow: WID 471

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds strange and I have not seen this.

A couple of questions:

1) Does this happen if you boot in safe mode (hold down the "shift" key when you restart)?

If it does not, then maybe some third party extension is causing problems

2) Are there any files in "/Library/Extensions"?

3) When this happen, do you see anything suspicious in the window server log?

Look in OSX Console:

- Click on Show log list

- Navigate to Files>/private/var/log/windowserver.log

4) Do you have a Wacom driver installed?

If so, is it the latest driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jesper Storm Bache

Per your questions:

1) Not sure if this is an issue, I'll try this out and get back about it

2) No.

3) I'm not seeing any strange Console errors

4) I have a Wacom driver and it is the latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with button stuck on CS3 as well as CS5, the only error containing string "photoshop" in windowserver.log I get is:

Nov 17 10:11:35  [95] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x6 not owned by caller Photoshop

Software/hardware concurrently running:

Safari 5.0.2

iTunes 10.1

Jitouch

Wacom Intuos4

Dropbox

Hope that helps find a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks as if Jitouch and Wacom Intuos4 are external add ons. Could you try to disable these components and then re-test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have Wacom drivers installed.  I opened Activity Monitor, stopped its process and I'm still getting the same errors.  I didn't have any issues with it yesterday while using Hyperspaces.  However, today I'm getting errors again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've even turned off all instances of Spaces and it still occurs.

I am getting the following message in Console after launching PS and selecting "No" on the Delete Photoshop Settings error:

11/18/10 9:32:29 AM    SIMBL Agent[170]    warning: failed to get scripting definition from (null); it may not be scriptable.

May be nothing, but thought it could possibly help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday Photoshop worked flawlessly, but right now the error reocurred again.

I can't see any suspicious logs in the windowserver log.

I unplugged the keyboard and started Photoshop again. Doesn't work. It still asks me if I wanted to delete the settings file (as if I was holding down the alt key).

Possible difference between yesterday (Photoshop working correctly) and today (Photoshop misbehaving): I was working on different InDesign documents. I don't know if that makes any sense, though However, Photoshop worked while working on InDesign document A. Now that I'm working on InDesign document B again, Photoshop shows this weird error. If this is only coincidence or if Photoshop stopped working in the very moment I opened InDesign doc B I cannot say. As a matter of fact, while working on this document, I saw error logs like this every now and then:

[71] kCGErrorFailure: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "InDesign" for over 1 second. Server has re-enabled them.

But there have never been any Photoshop-related entries around the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it's not that simple. I logged out and in again. Opened Photoshop and edited some images. Opened InDesign and did some editing in "Document B" (the allegedly evil one). Switched back to Photoshop - still working fine (I should be happy about this, shouldn't I?)

No 3rd party plug-ins (neither in Photoshop nor any other Adobe application). Wacom driver is installed, Intuos4 connected.

This is really hard to reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error that you mention (kCGErrorFailure: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application...) should not be related to this.

Since a number of users is reporting that logging out and then back in fixes the problem, and since I have seen other posts regarding keyboard problems with Spaces, then something to try is to launch the Activity Monitor and then Quit the "Dock" application then next time you observe this.

Does this solve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking into what appears to be a related issue. You mentioned that you have a Wacom tablet installed. What happens if you completely remove the tablet driver and restart your system? Do you still have the same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. It just came out of the blue on my Mac Pro 8-core. After a while Photoshop and Indesign are having issues withe the preferences file. Illustrator doesn't seem to be infected. Restarting the mac or logging out and back in does fix the problem for a while. At first I was thinking about a bad font. After intensive testing this wasn't the issue. After that I reinstalled by Mac Pro completely with only the Adobe applications. After a while I got the same issue.

Next thing I was thing was een bad hard disk. I checked the HD, even bought a new one to be sure and reinstalled everything. Clean install, clean preferences. And ... the same problem. I have tried to reoccur the problem but I cannot find it. On one hand I'm glad that it's not my sole problem but on the other hand ot's really frustrating. Do you guys all use a Mac Pro?

If anyone has a solution, ...

Ps: I do not run spaces or use a Wacom tablet -:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and it started after the last Apple update. My troubles are happening in Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver and a Non CS application—Filemaker 11.

Does anyone have a solution...I'm dead in the water not being able to use Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

I do nit use a Wacom tablet or Spaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue as described since 10.6.5. I have a Wacom tablet and use Spaces, but I tried disabling all these things but the problem still appears during the day. The only thing that I changed recently apart from installing 10.6.5 is that I am now running the kernel in 64 bit mode (on a 2008 Mac Pro) since it's supposed to be somewhat faster — I really can't believe that would make a difference to a user space program like photoshop. Hope there's a solution soon as it's really annoying to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the info. We're still looking into this issue, but it looks like it might not be related to Wacom drivers after all. Right now we're trying to figure out if there's some utility running in the background that might be intermittently triggering the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines