Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Save PDF file with all data typed into form by using Adobe Reader! HELP!

Feb 5, 2006 5:22 PM

Hello,

This is my first time here and I have a little problem. I designed the form in the Adobe LiveCycle Designer 7.0 and saving it as dynamic PDF. All I want is to fill it out, save a copy of that in hard drive and then email it as a attach file. I don't want any XML data file or any thing else, I want real completed document in PDF. That's all!

We can save a copy of completed document in Adobe Acrobat Pro but how we can save it in Adobe Reader?

My form is some thing like this (link below), every time you open it in Adobe Reader, it will tell you that "You cannot save data typed into this form." and let you print it.

Example: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/grants/sf269.pdf

But at this link

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

you can cancomplete this form and save a copy of it into your hard drive with all data typed for ever. Yes by using Adobe Reader! But I have a no idea HOW?

Does anybody have any suggestion? Please any help solving these problems would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,
Daniel

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2006 6:28 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    Hi Daniel,

The difference is that the IRS forms have been passed through Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions which allows anyone with Adobe Reader to save the form and the form data. When you open your form - there is a message bar at the top that says "You can not save data typed into this form." Whereas if you notice the message bar in the IRS form it says "This form has document rights applied to it. These rights allow anyone completing this form, with the free Adobe Reader, to save their filled-in form locally".

Please see http://www.adobe.com/products/server/readerextensions/main.html for more information on Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions. And please feel free to contact me directly (ldefurio@adobe.com) if you would like me to have your Adobe representative to contact you about licensing and pricing options.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2006 7:38 AM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    Another way to save is to comlete your form and then print that form to a PDF file.
    The PDF file will save the form and the inputs just as you typed them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2006 3:54 AM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    I answered your other post on the subject.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2006 9:10 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    Hi Daniel,

There is no trial version of Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions, if you send me your form I can create a "draft" version (with a watermark) for testing.

Also - the best way to stay up on developer events is visit http://developer.adobe.com/events

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2006 9:35 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    Hi Daniel,

I'm surprised you would say that. Most of the US Gov't agencies have moved to PDF for their form solutions due to the fidelity of the layout as well as compliance issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2006 6:54 AM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    >Also - the best way to stay up on developer events is visit >http://developer.adobe.com/events

That is when there is something current there. This morning everything listed is for last year.

Lori,

Is there any kind of training in LiveCycle Designer that Adobe offers either there in San Jose or vicinity or on site at my location?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2006 6:45 AM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    > But maybe is not a very good idea to using it instead of HTML base form.

For a simple fill in form, there may not be technical advantages to a
    PDF over an HTML form. But I'm puzzled in the context of the original
    question - do you have tools that allow HTML forms to be saved with
    all the data typed in?

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2006 11:55 AM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    Try this:
    After filling out the form - print it to a PDF. This way, all the data stays where it is.

Works for us.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2006 1:28 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    Hello folks -

I'm currently fighting a very simular battle. Is there no way to allow the permissions through Acrobat when you develop the file?

I have a form with a button to send it to via email once it is completed. However, Reader 7 won't allow it to be saved before it is attached and sent.

I can't ask the user to print it then attach and mail it.

Any thoughts?

Dwayne

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2006 1:43 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    Dwayne,

Adobe has a product LiveCycle Reader Extensions that will allow users of Adobe Reader to save the data in the form. This way they can save the file (after) as well as send it. For more information see:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/livecycle/readerextensions/ devcenter.html

Catherine
    Adobe Systems

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2006 3:04 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    You could also email the XML data instead of the full PDF.

Chris
    Adobe Enteprise Developer Support

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2006 11:20 AM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    Can't save the forms??? $450 to buy professional to create forms and users can't save them. What a JOKE! I won't be buying any more copys of Professional...Thats for sure...or standard.

Way to go!
    Catherine - Adobe Systems
    Chris - Adobe Enteprise Developer Support

Keep up to good work!

Disgruntled customer

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2009 3:43 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    I agree with "disgruntled customer". Catherine, that link is not useful - I am more confused than ever, but I think I understand that LiveCycle Reader Extensions is a purchased product (never did find out how much) and I doubt that I'm going to get my 150 tax preparation clients to buy it in order to fill out my organizers electronically. Most of them don't even know how their free Reader works, much less what it takes to print anything to PDF, even though there are free competitors to Adobe which will let them do so.

I was pretty excited about LiveCycle in my Pro version, until I found this out.

Disappointed CPA

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 10:57 AM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    Do you do taxes for free?

Do you pay for tax software or do the programers give it to you for free?

Well if you answered yes to any of the above, Adobe is making its living by creating software that can create forms, but it is not for free and the more features you want the more it will cost you.

I assume you do not use Turbo Tax as your software, so you do pay more than $29.95 so you can have the advanced features to handle the more complex returns.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 2:11 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    You can always try to Word and use Word's form fields to make your organizer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2009 3:41 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)
    This does assume your users do want to use their computer this way.

You are aware that there is a big security problem with any sensative. data being kept on a system with a WiFi and music sharing software, especially when this software is configured to also share data files or documents. Many of the sites warning of this are being censored because there is just so much personal data for so many persons being disclosed. Up to 27,000 returns at one time.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 8:05 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)

Just to add an updated response to this thread:

in Acrobat Pro v9 go to the menu and select Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader...

In Acrobat Standard v9 go to the menu and select Advanced > Extend Forms Fill-in & Save in Adobe Reader...

You can now save the form with your data.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2010 7:41 AM   in reply to Dave Hoder

Many thanks to Dave Hoder.

In Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional for Mac, I found the command was named differently:

Advanced: Enable Usage Rights in Acrobat Reader

Save your PDF form with that option enabled, and then your users should be able to save their edits. Hope that helps.

Note: They will be saving their edits to the same PDF, not to a copy, so if they need to fill out the same form twice, or want to keep a backup, they need to use Save As.

For the tax preparer concerned about her customers: Even with the additional Adobe software, it sounded like your tax prep clients wouldn't have had to buy the software -- just you, so you could modify your docs so that your end-users could save the filled forms (and do more, I guess). However, I still agree with you -- selling Acrobat so that people can make PDF forms but then limiting it so you can't make useful PDF forms is chintzy. Adobe clearly doesn't need to stoop to such levels to make money. They should just empower the software to make good docs easily. However, this thread started three years ago; perhaps what I'm seeing in the "Enable Usage Rights" command is Adobe's agreement with us.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 7:27 PM   in reply to LoriBelleDeFurio

Hi everyone

I would like to ask your help with almost the same issue which is saving data typed onto a pdf. My case is I am sending out a survey in the form of a pdf document and its contents are multiple choice questions, so I would like respondents to answer the survey save it and send it back to me via email.

How possible would that be

If you would like me to send u a copy of the survey thats fine

Thanks

Fawaz

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 8:38 AM   in reply to Dave Hoder

Thanks Dave.  This worked as you described in version 9.   Is seems that the form users must have version 8 or higher of Reader to save the data in the files, but I guess that's reasonable.

Best Wishes,

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 6:13 AM   in reply to LoriBelleDeFurio

Who do I contact to find out if our company still has access to Adobe Reader Ext. I know at one point we did but we are unable to sign on to the site. Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 3:03 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)

I've read through this entire thread, but nothing seems to apply to

Acrobat X Pro and LiveCycle Designer ES2. There isn't an Advanced menu option in either product, thus no "Enable Usage Rights in Acrobat Reader" option either. Did it move? If so, to where?

I found that if I choose Save As.. in X Pro there's an option "Reader Extended PDF" with 3 choices, but none are available.

I'm looking for what a number of others were looking for:  I've created a form I want to send via email, have someone complete, save, and re-attach to an email message, which will come back to me. Nothing fancy at all.

Can anyone help? All the online tutorials are for earlier versions of Acrobat Pro. I must be on the bleeding edge.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 6:14 PM   in reply to Audition_Denver

For a PDF to be filled and the data to be saved,  we have 2 options.

1  ) Reader extend the PDF using Reader extension feature in Adobe LC

2 ) Use Acrobat Pro to edit is and save.

In your case . I think u have to make the file reader extended.

Other wise make sure ur user is opening with Acrobat Pro for editing and saving.

thanks

ReV

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2010 1:29 PM   in reply to CallMeReV

Thanks ReV. Since I cannot expect all recipients of this form to have Acrobat vs. Acrobat Reader, I need to use the extend to Reader feature/command. But since I cannot find that option, or what I have found is not allowed, per my post, in X Pro, I'm stuck. I cannot find any X Pro information such as tutorials, help text, posts, etc. Even Adobe hasn't updated it's library of how to videos for X Pro. Very frustrating!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2010 1:48 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)

Almost 5 years talking about the same problem, jeeez!

I’m within the same problem scope:

Using Acrobat Standard 7 and Livecycle Designer 7 ES2 to create a form which the user can fill in, save as a PDF complete with their details and email back to me.

Surely we can move away from the print out and fax option of the 90’s!?

For this version of Livecycle ES2 (as Audition_Denver has alluded to above), there seems to be no “ADVANCED” menu option in LS2 therefore removing the possibility of “enabling usage rights”.

In this case I only have one form to make, can someone suggest a solution? Maybe an alternative download to the READER EXTENSION file?

Colin (Toronto)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 4:43 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)

Can someone from Adobe help? How is this handled in your latest releases, X Pro and Lifecycle ES2?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 7:53 PM   in reply to Wegwer

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 8:06 AM   in reply to CDesign2

Many thanks CDesign2, that worked! I was a little leery when I saw the article seemed to be for Acrobat 8, but the menu choice was there and sub-choices were available. They must have been grayed out before because I was still in Edit mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 8:12 AM   in reply to (jimdaniel)

Can you explain further Audition Denver? I’ve read the link but still can’t achieve the desired. I’m trying to open the form I’ve created using Livecycle Designer ES2 in Acrobat Standard 7.0 (which I can’t do…it produces an error message). Did you open the form in a more recent version of Acrobat? Or did you open it in Adobe Reader? I.e. where did you find this menu option?

Thanks

Colin

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 8:25 AM   in reply to Wegwer

Hmm. I opened the form I created in ES2 in Reader 9.I hope it'll work with earlier Readers. I'll have the confirm that.

First, I first opened the file in Acrobat X Pro, made sure I was not in Edit mode, chose Save As.., selected Reader Extended PDF, then Enable Additional Features.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 8:35 AM   in reply to (jimdaniel)

Sounds like I need a more up to date version of Acrobat than my current Standard 7.0 version. When I try to open the form I’ve created it produces an error page:

Adobe Acrobat 7.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.”

So maybe it’s not possible to open a form created in Livecycle Designer ES2 in early versions of Acrobat Standard/Pro. I think I have read the solution you are talking about Audition Denver and it referred specifically to Acrobat 8.0, 9.0 and Pro. At least one of us is sorted out. I will try and look for an updated version of Acrobat for download so I can complete this one form I’m stuck doing.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 12:33 PM   in reply to Wegwer

In Livecycle ES2 there is an option under Form Properties>Defaults that lets you choose the target version of Acrobat and Reader that will be using your form.  If this is set at v9.0 or X, you may be preventing the form from being openend in the older versions.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)

Good info CDesign2, I didn’t realize that option existed. I’m currently downloading the trial version of Acrobat X Pro and intend to modify my form in the same way that Audition_Denver has mentioned. Failing that, I will try to change the target version that my Livecycle form is set up for. Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 12:31 PM   in reply to (jimdaniel)

As a final follow up to this question, I downloaded the trial version of Adobe Acrobat X Pro from the Adobe website (30 day trial). Using this program to open the form I had created in Livecycle Designer ES2, I was able to alter the reader extension protection as Audition_Denver has described above.

Thanks for the help and good luck in the future to other people faced with a similar problem.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)