Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Ends Development Efforts on Project ROME

Nov 29, 2010 4:13 PM

Hi Romans,

Thank you for all of your feedback and support of Project ROME. We’ve taken your input into serious consideration during this preview period. After weighing this initiative against other projects currently in development at Adobe, we have made the difficult decision to end efforts on Project ROME. Our intention with this application was to explore the opportunity and usability of creative tools as software-as-a-service in the education market and beyond, and we have learned a lot from you so far. However, given our priorities, we are focusing resources on delivering tablet applications, which we believe will have significant impact on creative workflows.

This decision means that we are concluding the trial of Project ROME for Education.  However, the commercial version of Project ROME will remain free to the public via Adobe Labs, http://bit.ly/LabsROME, along with other new and emerging innovations, technologies, and products from Adobe. Please note that no additional Project ROME software updates are planned at this time.

On behalf of Adobe, we would like to thank the Project ROME testers and especially the many educators for their hard work and support on this initiative. The feedback and guidance on this project has been invaluable.  While Project ROME will not be pursued, the insights and suggestions will help shape future product development.

If you have any questions or comments regarding Project ROME, please check out the FAQ below, leave us a post on this thread or forum, or send us an email to ROME_feedback@adobe.com.

Thanks again,

Sarah

Sarah Essary

Forum Moderator

Edelman Digital on behalf of Adobe Systems

Project ROME FAQs

Why is Adobe stopping develop on Project ROME?
Adobe conducted a trial software pre-release program for Project ROME.  Like other Adobe Labs programs, this pre-release program enabled Adobe to test Project ROME with a large group of educators and consumers as a means to gather market and product information.  Like with Labs, the results of these efforts dictate whether a product continues under software development and out to market, or not.  This process is a very practical, helpful way to let Adobe assess whether they have the right solution for the right set of customers. At this time, Adobe has decided to stop further development on Project ROME to reassign the teams to other projects.

What is going to happen to Project ROME?

The commercial version of Project ROME will remain free to the public via Adobe Labs along with other new and emerging innovations, technologies, and products from Adobe.  No additional Project ROME software updates are planned at this time.

What is going to happen to Project ROME for Education?
The trial of Project ROME for Education has concluded.  Adobe will shortly remove the software from the website.  Those participants in the pre-release program will not be able to use the web-based version of Project ROME.  Those who have downloaded the Adobe AIR® desktop application may be able to use it, but it will not be supported, and no new features will be developed.  The Project ROME desktop application requires AIR, and as Adobe releases new versions of AIR, the two will become incompatible.  Project ROME will eventually not work due to incompatibility with future AIR releases.

If you are stopping all development on Project ROME, why are you leaving the commercial version available?

Like any Adobe Labs release, we would like to continue learning about product usage.  Per the terms of service, Adobe may cancel Project ROME at any time.

Why are you discontinuing Project ROME for Education, but leaving the commercial version available?

We appreciate the enthusiasm for Project ROME in education.  However, we do not want to see pre-release software used in the classroom and will not be able to provide the support needed to offer the education version.  If you are 18 years or older, you may use the commercial version.

What happens if you have a Project ROME website hosted by Adobe?

For users with websites hosted at the project-rome.com domain, Adobe will send an email regarding the status of your content soon.  Adobe recommends you use the "SWF (Flash Player Compatible)" output channel to save the files needed to republish your website with another hosting provider.

How do we send feedback to Adobe about Project ROME?

Adobe welcomes all comments and feedback.  Please check out our User Forum or send an email to ROME_feedback@adobe.com.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2010 11:59 AM   in reply to SarahEssary

I doubt there's a way to get those  in charge to change their minds, but it boggles the mind that you could  get enough data to totally cancel a program like this in the first  month and a half of launching a pre-release version of the application. The reactions of everyone I've heard from  is total shock on this. Just about everyone I've had contact with  thought ROME had a lot of potential.

I'm sure the vast majority of your potential user base never even heard of ROME before it was canned... A real shame...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 2:06 AM   in reply to Harbs.

I agree with Harbs!.. Indeed it is a shocking news for everyone and I was expecting Adobe to deliver more towards ROME, It was so promising and even people who are new to design/animation were able to pick the things very quickly.

- David R

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2010 1:43 AM   in reply to SarahEssary

I agree with Harbs and Daverms: really a shame to stop such a project.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 12:01 PM   in reply to SarahEssary

awwwww =/ so sad.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2010 7:38 AM   in reply to SarahEssary

Why not make Rome an open source project?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2010 2:32 AM   in reply to mikes4bikes

maybe they will continue on it later =/

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 6:52 AM   in reply to SarahEssary

I think what's happened here is clear. "All roads lead to Rome." Adobe didn't want to cannibalize so many other products with a technology like this. One plus side, it's great to see what really can be built with Flex. An AIR application this complex should inspire Flash developers to great heights.

-- D

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 11:46 AM   in reply to David Bethune

i just wish we had Scripting Feature on Rome, ohh and 3d Objects making also(i mean make 3d car, and make animation looking at it from all sides) =/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2011 3:50 PM   in reply to SarahEssary

I see an opportunity for Adobe to launch the ever first all-in-one graphics software on the tablet with Adobe Rome. It's an AIR app. Adobe can do a lot with it-packed with advanced features, efficiency and optimal use of resources. Trust the  creative industry it will be CREATIVITY while ROMEing. Please continue work on this application.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2011 2:40 PM   in reply to SarahEssary

I know I am a bit late to the game, but instead of focusing on ROME for education, it seems to me this program has the ability to change the way services work across the board - much like Wix or WordPress have changed the way average people design sites. It's easy, could be a bit nimbler for designers, but for consumer users it's great. Seems it would be more worth while for Adobe to focus on some type of tablet bridge for software such as this instead of tanking it after 6 weeks of a trial.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 12:17 AM   in reply to SarahEssary

I also wanted to express my late-to-the-game disappointment of the cancellation of ROME. I'm surprised the plug was pulled after only 6 weeks - the application was hardly even marketed (I can't recall it being mentioned at last year's MAX at all), so it's not surprising it didn't have the expected traffic.

I've found ROME to be a great general diagramming tool, and would love to see its support continued.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points