• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SideBySide Error

Engaged ,
Mar 19, 2008 Mar 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just happened to look at my system event log, and I see a bunch of "SideBySide" errors. They are related to the rhcl command line compile that I'm running from a batch file. The help output appears to be fine, but I'd like to track down what's going on.

Has anyone run into this?

G.
TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting many of these errors.  Anyone know anything more about this?

I saw this post:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/a4c36078-6419-4424-8a43-ff3832786b59

But this does not shopw how to solve the problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

edsager

P.S.  The entire error is as follows:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\FormDesigner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6001.18000_none_152e7382f3bd50c6.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6001.18000_none_5cdbaa5a083979cc.manifest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been awhile since I looked at this, but your post got me curious again. I don't have any kind of answer, but I did come up with a couple of odd little data points. My error is slightly different than yours, but I'll bet we've got something similar at work. I get event id 59 and 32 showing up, with a complaint about MFC80.DLL. Googling "MFC80.DLL sidebyside 59 32" turned up some interesting tidbits, but I just took a brief look.

I rechecked the event viewer to see if the errors still occurred, and they do. For comparison, I checked some other machines, and the results surprised me. The sidebyside errors must not be tied only to command-line compile events, but to other RH activity as well. I saw these errors on all the machines I checked, some of which had never had rhcl run on them. Another strange thing was that in some cases, the errors stopped occurring some time ago. For no obvious or consistent reason, of course. One machine stopped a year ago April; another stopped in November 2007; yet another stopped last December. But the machine doing most of the rhcl work still gets the errors now.

I've come to the conclusion that chasing this error down probably isn't worth my time. It doesn't seem to harm the help output, and it's not causing enough of a performance drag to worry about. So, barring an easy fix--or the problem getting worse--I'm going to tell myself not to worry about it.

Oh, these are all RH6 machines, BTW.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2009 Aug 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Vista 64 bit users this error seems to be caused by a wrong manifest embedded in the FormDesigner application. It references the common controls dll - one processor-agnostic (*) version and one version requiring x86. On a 64-bit machine processor-agnostic references will appearantly resolve to the 64-bit version. The error in the event log is legitimate since imports are already defined from whatever version was process first.

This error should be fixed by Adobe. We on the 64 bit platforms would obviously prefer a 64 bit version, but we will gladly accept a 32 bit version that accomodates us too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2009 Aug 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get this information to Adobe you need to submit a bug report.

Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi edsager,

that technet forum post was updated to include the solution, however I think it's limited to devs with Visual Studio installed (you basicaly have to edit the manifest file).

I'm still seeing this issue in the current LiveCycle ES2 installer (FormDesigner comes in as part of the WorkBench and Acrobat Designer).

I've also logged a bug with Adobe.

Who knows if it's actually causing a problem.

Later'ish

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error has been around for ages, is Adobe not bothering to fix it?

Surely it's a simple update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2010 Mar 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have a status update on this "SideBySide" error?  Is there any way to tell if Adobe will be fixing this in an update?  It seems like this issue has been outstanding for some time.

I submitted a bug report to Adobe today for this issue.  My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate Edition - 64 bit.  I have Adobe Acrobat Professional 9.3.1 installed.  The "SideBySide" error repeats multiple times in my Windows Event Viewer (Application):

Log Name:      Application
Source:        SideBySide
Date:          3/13/2010 5:47:50 PM
Event ID:      80
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      AKLAPTOP
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\FormDesigner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16385_none_fa645303170382f6.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16385_none_421189da2b7fabfc.manifest.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49409">80</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-03-14T01:47:50.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>4302</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>AKDEVLAPTOP.ak-consulting.local</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16385_none_fa645303170382f6.manifest</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16385_none_421189da2b7fabfc.manifest</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\FormDesigner.exe</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Vista 64-bit Home Premium system... I get these event errors at the same time that I begin having problems in Office Outlook... cannot send or receive emails on my email accounts. I have just recently installed CS5 Design Premium on a completely fresh system, with only Office pro 2007 (installed first), and Norton Internet Security 2010. That's all.

I had just had some major issues with a previous installation of CS5 on Vista 64-bit... that fault was with Adobe software infiltrating and corrupting my registry... affecting file permissions, user permissions, and thus destroyed the funtionality of several softwares on my computer... necessitating a complete reinstall of everything... now this shit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am also having these errors and I am almost certain that it makes my PC crash more often because of it.

I run Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and have the Adobe Master Collection CS5 installed. Everytime I use Premiere Pro CS5 after 10-15 minutes my PC freezes and I have to wait for 5-10 minutes for it to get back to normal again. Everytime I have these SideBySide errors just before it happens. At the beginning it was mostly the one with Acrobat9 but I managed to use a solution from Technet removing the dependecy of 32 bit - using Resource Tuner. But then I got a new issue - this time it was with the Adobe Media Encoder CS5 and the file PhotoShopServer.exe.

-System

-Provider
[ Name]SideBySide
-EventID75
[ Qualifiers]49409
Level2
Task0
Keywords0x80000000000000
-TimeCreated
[ SystemTime]2010-11-10T20:30:51.000000000Z
EventRecordID32348
ChannelApplication
ComputerMP-PC
Security

-EventData

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder CS5\PhotoshopServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder CS5\PhotoshopServer.exe
This time I can not use Resrouce Tuner because it will not open 64 bit executables at all. So I´m stucked here. It seems to be an old issue from way back.
Adobe please do something about this - I am sick of issues using Premiere Pro CS5 - the transition issue with two identical AVCHD subclips from same sequence is also not yet solved. I love Adobe Master Collection and the GUI - but PPro CS5 is not a usefull production tool if one has to use a lot of time getting things done that should have been done in 1/10 of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each and every day I see multiple SideBySide errors listed in Event Viewer on both Windows Vista x64 and Windows 7 Pro x64 systems.  These errors have been occurring for over a year and a half now on my systems.  Others have experienced the same problem for over two years now with no fix from Adobe.

SideBySide  Event ID:78

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\FormDesigner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6002.18305_none_1509f852f40ee5cd.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6002.18305_none_5cb72f2a088b0ed3.manifest.

The only fix I have seen involves using Visual Studio or Resource Tuner to edit the Manifest file manually within the FormDesigner component of Adobe Acrobat Pro.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/a4c36078-6419-4424-8a43-ff383...

"This error is caused by a wrong manifest embedded in the FormDesigner application. If you open the application in Visual Studio and extract the manifest you will see two references to the common controls dll - one processor-agnostic (*) version and one version requiring x86. On a 64-bit machine processor-agnostic references will appearantly resolve to the 64-bit version. The error in the event log is legitimate since imports are already defined from whatever version was process first. To test just try removing the processor-agnostic reference from the manifest and resave the app in Visual Studio. When you rerun the app the errors are gone. IMO this should be fixed by Adobe - and obviously since the FormDesigner app is 32-bit the reference should be restricted to 32-bit."

Manifest:

<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*">
</assemblyIdentity>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency> 

Since the error resides in a Manifest file created and distributed by Adobe they should provide a fix for the problem. Letting this issue persist for over two years despite numerous bug filings by Adobe's customers is not right. If Adobe doesn't plan to repair their Manifest file then at least they should inform their customers that no fix will be forthcoming. Just ignoring everyone is both arrogant and irresponsible on Adobe's part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

This forum is for discussing issues with Adobe RoboHelp. What you posted seems to suggest you are using Acrobat?

If that's the case, you need to be posting this issue in the Acrobat forums.

The Acrobat forums are located at the link below.

Click here to visit the Acrobat forums

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, yes I am using Acrobat so in the future I will post to the Acrobat forum.

However, all SideBySide errors have the same cause. Which is a pointer to a misconfigured Manifest file. A 32 bit application runs in 32 bit space on an x64 system. The problem is that the Manifest Adobe uses in many of its applications points to a 64 bit address space. To resolve the SideBySide error events, regardless of which Adobe app is causing them, requires editing the Manifest file and removing the entry that corresponds to the processer agnostic version, indicated by "*"

The relevant Manifest entry looks like this:

<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*">
</assemblyIdentity>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think anyone here cares - this is a user-to-user forum, no Adobe people. Have you e-mailed Adobe Tech support? They're more likely to want to know about your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have a any new about the "SideBySide" error from Adobe ? I have the same probleme related in this thread.

regards,

S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm experiencing the same error myself, and in my case it appears to cause issues with my system restoring from sleep afterwards. (I've seen several reports online of similar issues with FormDesigner and other programs, where the system will report an unexpected shutdown shortly after the error occurs, and there are no other frequent / untoward errors reported in Admistrative events, nor others adjacent to the timing of the crashes. Hence I believe this is probably not a coincidence.)

My error log:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        SideBySide

Date:          12/8/2010 3:37:10 AM

Event ID:      80

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Michael-Desktop

Description:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\FormDesigner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_fa62ad231704eab7.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_420fe3fa2b8113bd.manifest.

I've filed a bug report, as suggested here. (Even if it wasn't a related issue, this bug should be fixed by Adobe, as spurious errors make it harder to track down the real cause of problems. In this case, I don't think the error's unrelated though, as explained above.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp