I have an issue where sometimes we will have one user open a story and it will NOT show it as being locked (pencil with line through it). The majority of the time it will, but seems to happen too often and I see it being a problem this coming weekend as they start the switch from Quark to CS5. I just can't have users being able to check out the same story as one person will overwrite the other. We work off a file server with ExtremeZip installed. Has anyone else seen this? Sometimes if the document is available to be refreshed, like on a different story, it will then put a lock on the file. I am not doing anything cross platform, this testing is done on 2 macbook pro's with both IC and ID CS5 installed. Any help is much appreciated.
One of the laptops is on 7.02, the other 7.03. The one on 7.03 could not see the locked file that was being edited by the machine with the 7.02 updated. Please tell me this is because of the machine not running 7.03
I am going to try the update. I read this in the 7.03 release, however I am not cross platform, will see if it works.
Multiple users are able to check out and edit InCopy files at same time when working in a mixed Windows/Macintosh environment. 
I found sort of a work around. What I can do is a control click on any of the stories in the assignments pane and it will refresh the assignments list and then show the story as being locked. However, timing can be an issue if someone goes in the same story after someone does a refresh and also if someone just completely forgets do the refresh, there will be problems. There has to be others with this problem. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
We have also had this problem. We started the Indesign/Incopy workflow in CS2 and did not see this happen until CS4. It's continuing in CS5. Apparently there is a delay in the lock file being created. If someone else checks the story out before that locked file is created, it appears both parties have the story checked out. However, only one of them actually has command of the file and only their edits will be saved. We reported this to Adobe last year when we began seeing it in CS4, and they were able to replicate the problem; however, they've not fixed it.
We haven't tried the "refresh" workaround. I'll give that a try. I've also wondered if checking out multiple stories at once causes the problem. Some of our editors have the habit of checking out all the stories in a layout at one time. Obviously, it takes a little time for the locked files to be created on as many as 100 stories. If someone else tries to check out one of those stories in the meanwhile, Incopy lets them. At that point, we have a problem.
I was actually posting in another thread here about this as it pertained to my issue. I found that my
"Work around" doesn't always work, at least it didn't update a locked story when I tried it this morning on
the second mac. I think this might have to do with how the locked files are named, I am seeing two tildas no matter what I name
the IC stories. This might be causing the problems, but who knows. I am working off of ExtremeZip on a 2003 box with a gigabit card in it and gigabit switches. Speed on the network shouldn't be causing this issue. I am testing this locally to see if I get the same results, I have both IC and ID on these laptops I am using to test.
I literally meant to just right click on any of the stories in the assignments pane or on a mac it is control + mouse click. This would refresh the assignments pane window for me and show me the locked file/s. However, today I was even able to break that, most of the time it works though. I think this might have something to do with ExtremeZIP as I can't break this locally right now.
That is interesting. I am on Windows 2003 with EZIP version 7.1x14. Can you tell me if when you open an incopy story if the locked file on the server shows two tildes? And also, are you having problems with both versions that you mentioned? I was going to downgrade EZIP to see what happens.
I am working with a guy from EZIP now, he seems to think it is an issue with CS5, the 7.02 update is pretty much exactly the problem we are having, but it didn't fix the issue. 7.02 update says, "some users have also reported experiencing the problem when all clients on are Mac OS, but the files are stored on some types of non-Mac OS file servers" He is still being nice enough to look at the problem, I need to take some tcp dumps and send them over to him. I will keep this thread updated.
After talking to EZIP and after some troubleshooting, we can see that EZIP looks to be doing what it should. However, we really weren't able to see any differences in the good and bad packet captures. It was recommended that I go to Adobe, because even EZIP seems to think that 7.02 update pertained to my issue, even though it didn't fix the problem. I am on the phone with the Adobe as I write this.
So I am not alone, this makes me feel better about the situation. I am going to call adobe, I can sometimes replicate this many times in a row in the same file working with two machines. I am going to set it up and hopefully have adobe take a look at it. Will keep this thread updated as I learn more.