Skip navigation
swappedsr
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 ISSUE - STORIES NOT LOCKING ALL THE TIME IN INCOPY

Dec 6, 2010 1:42 PM

I have an issue where sometimes we will have one user open a story and it will NOT show it as being locked (pencil with line through it).  The majority of the time it will, but seems to happen too often and I see it being a problem this coming weekend as they start the switch from Quark to CS5.  I just can't have users being able to check out the same story as one person will overwrite the other.  We work off a file server with ExtremeZip installed.  Has anyone else seen this?  Sometimes if the document is available to be refreshed, like on a different story, it will then put a lock on the file.   I am not doing anything cross platform, this testing is done on 2 macbook pro's with both IC and ID CS5 installed.  Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2010 1:50 PM   in reply to swappedsr

Is everyone updated to 7.0.3?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2010 2:53 PM   in reply to swappedsr

Could be...update it.

I'd also look at permissions issues on the server.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2010 3:09 PM   in reply to swappedsr

Check out a story and look for a lock file on the server.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2010 3:15 PM   in reply to swappedsr

You may need to enable the view of hidden files.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 10:16 AM   in reply to swappedsr

We have also had this problem. We started the Indesign/Incopy workflow in CS2 and did not see this happen until CS4. It's continuing in CS5. Apparently there is a delay in the lock file being created. If someone else checks the story out before that locked file is created, it appears both parties have the story checked out. However, only one of them actually has command of the file and only their edits will be saved. We reported this to Adobe last year when we began seeing it in CS4, and they were able to replicate the problem; however, they've not fixed it.

We haven't tried the "refresh" workaround. I'll give that a try. I've also wondered if checking out multiple stories at once causes the problem. Some of our editors have the habit of checking out all the stories in a layout at one time. Obviously, it takes a little time for the locked files to be created on as many as 100 stories. If someone else tries to check out one of those stories in the meanwhile, Incopy lets them. At that point, we have a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 10:21 AM   in reply to jhewitt@lifeway

I'd like to suggest that you try setting this up on a Dropbox folder. Believe it or not, I've seen the lock files pop up faster on there then on some local servers.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 10:26 AM   in reply to swappedsr

By "refresh" do you mean "update"? I don't see a "refresh" option in the assignments panel. I do see "update content."

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 11:00 AM   in reply to swappedsr

We also use ExtremeZip version 7.0 and 7.1 on a Windows 2008 server. Interesting to know that you are also running ExtremeZip.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2010 10:40 AM   in reply to swappedsr

Several months ago, we were able to replicate this (and Adobe subsequently was able to do the same thing) on a single machine running InDesign and InCopy simultaneously. No network involved.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2010 7:48 AM   in reply to swappedsr

Can you replicate it on a single machine? That was when we got Adobe's attention, as it took the network out of the equation.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points