Skip navigation
Dean Abramson
Currently Being Moderated

Why do I have blank canvas around image?

Dec 8, 2010 6:03 AM

Can anyone help me with this?

Suddenly today, when I enlarge a photo to 100% on the screen, I am getting a bunch of blank canvas around it too.  It's annoying.  What's this all about?
If I start with the photo at 16% (no scroll bars, no canvas showing), then I press Command +, as soon as I get to 25%, canvas shows all around.  And stays that way as I increase the view size.  I am not in one of the "F" full-screen modes.  What am I overlooking?
CS5 Mac 10.6.4
Thanks in advance!
Confused,
Dean

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2010 6:24 AM   in reply to Dean Abramson

You mean like the document window is expanding more than the image as you zoom in? (showing gray canvas apron?)

I don't know.

I would see if re-setting preference file cures it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 6:47 AM   in reply to Dean Abramson

Close Photoshop. Hold down the Shift+Option+Command keys as you re-launch the program (shift+Alt+Control for Windows). You'll get a small dialog box on relaunch asking if you want to delete the settings. Click yes.

See FAQ:

How do I delete the preferences?                    

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 7:09 AM   in reply to Dean Abramson

Dean,

So the delete settings dialog box appeared and you checked yes?

Huh.

Can you post a screen shot at when it first appears (you said you first see it at 25%)

Does this happen to all files?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 8:37 AM   in reply to Dean Abramson

Are you in Application Frame view? Window>Application Frame

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 8:54 AM   in reply to Dean Abramson

Both Application Frame and Bar are grayed out? Is Application Frame checked? Are you in Standard Screen Mode?

(I was going put money on your screen shots showing Application Frame checked with palettes hidden!)

I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Is it just this file? Or all photos?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 9:08 AM   in reply to Dean Abramson

One more thing Dean, what version of CS5 do you have installed?

(and btw, you're likely to get better, faster and more accurate help in this forum than by calling Adobe. The people who actually build and code Photoshop hang out here.)

If you solve it PLEASE post back.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 3:43 PM   in reply to Dean Abramson

In Preferences>>General>>Check "Zoom Resizes Windows."

Did that work?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 3:51 PM   in reply to Dean Abramson

Dean Abramson wrote:

12.0.1…

This may not fix your problem, but 12.0.2 was released night before last.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 3:53 PM   in reply to Dean Abramson

Cycle through all screen modes successively by pressing the F key several times in succession.  That may help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 6:36 PM   in reply to Tai Lao

Tái Laõ

I spent about a half an hour trying to reproduced what he posted from screen shots. A real puzzler. It looks like a Standard Screen Mode starts to act like Application Frame at a certain zoom percentage. I'm sure it is something simple, but not the "usual suspects".

Edit:

Dean,

Interesting information about Lightroom. I do not use Lightroom so can't be sure on my setup if that might be a concern.

I doubt it, but...?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 6:40 PM   in reply to Dean Abramson

Can anyone here reproduce this with the recent LR update? (I don't use Lightroom)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 10:33 PM   in reply to Dean Abramson

I have an idea about this one. I was able to reproduce it, and I was able to turn it off.

Have you at any time installed the Photoshop CS5 optional plug-ins?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82824.html

And if you don't know the answer to that question, then try this one:

When you go to the folder

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Plug-ins/Extensions

are there any files that start with the word "Overscroll" ?

If you answer yes to either question, then one of the Overscroll plug-ins is the reason you are seeing this behavior. If you don't like what it does, you can remove them. The Overscroll plug-ins are installed with the optional plug-ins package.

Dean Abramson wrote:

I should have mentioned: the excess canvas amount varies (according to the rulers) depending upon the magnification...

...AT ANY POINT OF MAGNIFICATION, if I go to Image:Canvas Size, THE CANVAS SIZE, IN INCHES, IS SHOWN AS EXACTLY THAT OF THE IMAGE!!

That's because you're not seeing more canvas. You're seeing more "apron" around the canvas. The canvas size is the same as the image size in your document, and that's not changing. It's the area outside the canvas that's changing, and that's expected when the Overscroll plug-ins are installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 10:51 PM   in reply to Conrad Chavez

Great catch on this one, Mr. Conrad Chavez!

Any new Photoshop books coming out anytime soon? 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 6:25 AM   in reply to Conrad Chavez

Well I'll be...

I have never heard of an "Overscroll" plug-in. Good call on that Mr. Chavez. I was able to reproduce what Dean is seeing after download and install

of the optional plug-ins.

Always something to learn about this application!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to Dean Abramson

Glad that worked out! Now, for some back story and other answers...

What is the point of these plug-ins? The only reason I recognized the issue is that I like the Overscroll feature. Here's the problem it solves: If you're drawing a path or transforming an object, and some path or transform handles end up outside the canvas, and you happen to be in a magnified view in a standard mode floating window, you cannot reach those handles. The scroll bars stop at the canvas edge. In a normal Photoshop installation, I have to stop and switch to one of the other modes (Application Frame or Full Screen) to be able to scroll or pan past the canvas edge. Or I have to zoom out, which means I can't do a detailed edit. With Overscroll you can get at those beyond-the-canvas handles at all times regardless of magnification level or window mode.

Seeing the screen shot scrolled past the canvas while zoomed in was what clued me in.

Why didn't the Adobe support rep figure it out? Because his script probably tells him to start from a fresh installation, which is missing the optional plug-ins, and unless he's heard of them and remembers them he won't be able to reproduce the behavior.

While I would prefer that Overscroll be the default, it looks like Adobe was correct to make it optional since the confusion it caused is why this thread got started. Everybody expects traditional OS windows to stop scrolling at the edge of the document. As far as new books, Mr. Lao, I'm not sure I'm doing any before the next Photoshop upgrade, but you'll find some web articles and other projects turning up between now and then.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)