Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dynamically related files could not be resolved...WordPress Issues

Dec 4, 2010 5:28 AM

I am so incredibly frustrated trying to get Dreamweaver CS5 to actually follow WordPress includes on a consistent basis. I'd even settle for semi-consistent if I could figure out how to get DW to cooperate 50% of the time. Briefly, after I first setup a Wordpress site with DW, DW functions as expected. I am able to see a correct list of all dynamic PHP includes. At times, one page can pull 50+ files and DW is able to follow and reveal all of the files but this behavior has absolutely no consistency... at least, I have not experienced any consistent behavior in how this feature functions. While DW never has any trouble finding JS, XML and CSS files that are hardcoded as includes on the first php file or linked in the HTML source, it has zero consistency in following all of the dynamic includes. I only want to see the files that are not obvious, as in the files that are included by other PHP includes. I would not have purchased CS5 if Adobe didn't claim to have seemless integration with WordPress.

Am I doing something wrong? Once DW suddenly decides the site definition is not correct, I am unable to get the application to work with the same WordPress site again.Interestingly, if I delete the DW site and create a new one from scatch using the exact same structure and WP site, it will recognize the includes again for about an hour but that's it. I don't understand why it works briefly without failure but then suddenly decides that the definition that was created with DW's setup is suddenly invalid.

Furthermore, I can't figure out how the "code hinting" actually works with WordPress. While the feature sounded great, I am beginning to think it's not functioning either. Is this Adobe's idea of "seemless WordPress 3.0 integration"? So far, DW CS5 has been nothing but a hassle. I've wasted the last two weeks just trying to get it to work. Unfortunately, I am designing a site for someone who refuses to use any other design tool because he bought CS5 Masters thinking it was "the" solution for building his WP site. The situation is so frustrating that I want to quit the project over his insistence on only using Dreamweaver. I can't even convince him to use FileZilla's FTP to upload content to the server because he only wants to use CS5 tools.  Of course, he is not coding the site and doesn't understand how/why I am having problems getting it to work with the Wordpress code.

Ugh, I really apologize for whining. I am just so frustrated, and really hope I am overlooking something so I can focus on getting the site up and working with DW CS5. It can't really be this bad, can it? It must be me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2010 6:37 AM   in reply to VKray

VKray wrote:

Am I doing something wrong?

Probably, but since you don't give any concrete information, it's impossible to say.

First of all, your description of Dreamweaver suddenly deciding the site definition is not correct sounds odd. If you have set up the site definition correctly, and Dreamweaver is forgetting it, that sounds as though you have a corrupt installation or cache file. It might be necessary to delete the cache file or even your personal configuration folder. See the Dreamweaver FAQ for more information on those issues.

The other problems might be due to misunderstanding how Dreamweaver CS5 works with WordPress and other CMSs. Dreamweaver uses your testing server to load WordPress pages in exactly the same way as a browser. In other words, everything is done through index.php in the site root. Open index.php, and launch Live View. To navigate to other pages, hold down Ctrl/Cmd, and click links in Live View to display them. As you navigate around the site, the relevant dynamically linked files should be added to or removed from the Related Files Toolbar. What dynamically linked files does NOT do is to discover every file. It discovers those that are linked at the current time.

For code hinting to work, you need to select Site > Site Specific Code Hints. Dreamweaver should recognize it as a WordPress site, so all you need to do is to click OK. This inserts a file called dw_php_codehinting.config in your site root. This file instructs Dreamweaver to scan specific folders to generate the code hints for WordPress custom functions and classes. The scanning takes place in the background, so it usually takes a minute or so before code hints are fully initialized. It could take longer if you're low on memory or have a low spec machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2010 6:56 AM   in reply to VKray

I've probably designed at least 100 sites by now using WordPress and Dreamweaver. I've never used anything other than "code-view" to edit the theme files. There might be over fifty files working to render a WordPress page as you're suggeting, but you'll never need to (or want to) edit any of the core WordPress files - only the ones in your theme. As for the ones in your theme, you really only need to worry about:

• style.css
    • page.php
    • header.php
    • footer.php
    • index.php
    • search.php
    • 404.php

Half of those are just variants of page.php, and there's others like author.php, tag.php etc that can probably be ignored too.

My work flow is just to upload my modifications to a development version of the site (http://dev.example.com) and refresh my browser to see the changes. I don't know why anyone wastes their time with "Live View" in the first place. It's a goofy gimmick invented by the Adobe marketing team I'm sure. Just look at the page in a browser for pete's sake.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2010 9:41 AM   in reply to VKray

VKray wrote:

After a period of time, DW gets confused and starts duplicating paths. For example, if I highlight a path to an include, I get an error that returns:

C:\inetpub\xampp\htdocs\blog\wp-admin\wp-admin\includes\dashboard.php contains an incorrect path.

It's duplicating the wp-admin folder and as a result, it can't dynamically resolve the location but of course, it can still display the page, as expected. How do I get it to stop creating non-existant folders?

That type of problem is caused by a relative path being incorrectly interpreted. It sounds as though your testing server definition in the site setup is incorrect.

Given the structure you have shown, the Local Site Folder and Server Folder should be C:\inetpub\xampp\htdocs\blog, and the Web URL should be http://localhost/blog/.

If those are the settings you're using, and it's incorrectly interpreting the relative path, you should try setting up your site in a virtual host. There are details of how to create virtual hosts in Apache on my website at http://foundationphp.com/tutorials/apache22_vhosts.php.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2010 11:09 AM   in reply to VKray

I have no idea why Dreamweaver is getting confused, although one thing did strike me as odd with your setup. You have located XAMPP inside C:\inetpub, which is normally the location for web files accessed by IIS. It might be worth running phpinfo() to check the value of DOCUMENT_ROOT. Another possibility is that you are using site-root-relative links somewhere in your site. You cannot use site-root-relative links if your site root is in a subfolder of the document root. If you want to use site-root-relative links, you must bit the bullet and create a virtual host. It's a five-minute job once you have done it the first once or twice.

I participate in a lot of beta testing, and the message that is constantly hammered home by engineers is that the only way to identify whether something is a bug or user error is to provide reproducible steps. Without knowing how you have set up your testing server, and what happens to trigger the duplicate entry in the path, it's impossible to diagnose the problem.

As I explained earlier, Dreamweaver uses your testing server to discover the dynamically related files. So, if the testing server is defined correctly, it should determine the path correctly. Assuming the server definition is correct, you must be doing something that triggers an error. Identify the trigger, and report it to Adobe through the bug reporting form at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2010 3:22 AM   in reply to VKray

Do you have an .htaccess file in the WordPress folder?

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /blog/
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /blog/index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

You also need to make sure mod_rewrite is enabled in XAMPP. I'm not sure whether it is enabled by default.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2010 2:19 AM   in reply to VKray

VKray wrote:

Vista security is so tight that you can't even edit the hosts file using Run As Admin or edit folder/file permissions while using Run As Admin with Windows Explorer. The only difference, between using Run As when attempting to edit file permissions or hosts, is you won't see an error upon clicking Apply or Save. It simply ignores the changes.

I switched to Windows 7 a long time ago, but I'm fairly sure it works the same as Vista in this regard. The way to edit the hosts file is to right-click Notepad in the Start menu, and select Run as Administrator. Then navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. To open the hosts file, select File > Open, and change the Text Documents (*.txt) option at the bottom right of the dialog box to All Files (*.*). Select hosts, and click Open. When you save the file, the changes should be saved.

If that doesn't work on Vista, you probably need to turn off User Access Control (UAC) in Control Panel > User Accounts.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 3:34 AM   in reply to VKray

VKray wrote:

I wish I had seen this earlier: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629061
    DW CS5 doesn't understrand WP Permalinks.

That's not correct. I have permalinks enabled in WordPress, and Dreamweaver CS5 follows the links without any difficulty.

David, There is a major flaw in your article which caused by subsequent issues with XAMPP. It is stated over and over in Apache Core that when you use the namevirtualhost directive, and there is an IP address match, you lose the main configuration. It does NOT inherit -- ever when there's an IP match.

Sorry, I don't follow what you're saying here. My article states: "When you enable virtual hosting, Apache disables the main server root,  so the first definition needs to reproduce the original server root." If that's not what you're referring to, please clarify. If there's a mistake in my article, I'll correct it.

Since Apache runs as a local service, it loses the ability to write to files in othe directories if you have UAC enabled. Obviously, I had UAC enabled. I am not willing to disable UAC entirely. In fact, I can't disable it because I'm on a network. Once UAC is enabled, Apache can no longer write log or temp files with XAMPP unless you give it elevated permissions.

Again, I don't follow your point. My suggestion about turning off UAC referred only to editing the hosts file. Maybe I should have made that clearer. Once you have edited the file, you can turn UAC back on again. The article was originally written when I used Vista on my local network. UAC was permanently turned on, except when I needed to make changes to protected files. Apache had no problem writing to its own log files. In those days, I installed PHP and MySQL manually, rather than using XAMPP, but that was the only difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 12:58 PM   in reply to VKray

I'm working on a site using DW CS5/Mamp/Wordpress and a custom theme and have run into the "dynamically-related files could not be resolved...." error when loading the root index.php file.    When I switch back from the "Day and Name" to the "Default" Permalink Setting the error disappears. Can't determine the cause.  My testing server appears to be correctly setup.  Decided to use TextMate for this site instead of DW.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2011 10:14 PM   in reply to TPub

I have the exact same problem, sites with default permalink setup work and show no error, any other setting liek day/name gives an error saying teh serveris not setup correctly.

Change to default permalinks and the site works fine.

Is this a Dreamweaver problem? Will it be fixed?

I have the latest versions of dreamweaver and wordpress running on MAMP OSX as of march 2nd 2011

Mark

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points