Branched to a new discussion.
Replies 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2010 12:30 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Hi, Urgent help requested

We are running a development project in East Timor,

Currently we are trying to put together a computer to run Premiere Pro CS5

one configuration we have been advised is

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R MB, Intel P55, DDR3 2000, PCI-Ex16, SATA3, USB 3.0

CPU: i7-870 Core i7 QUAD CORE CPU , 2.93 GHz, Socket LGA1156

Graphics Card: ATI HD 5750 PCI-E 2.0 1GB 128 bit GDDR5

Sound Card: Intergrated 7.1 HD Audio

Hard Disk Drive: 2 x 1.5TB Seagate SATA2 HDD in RAID 0 (SPEED)

RAM: 8 Gigabytes 1333 Mhz DDR3 (64Bit OS only)

Found at

http://www.gr-tek.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=Corei5ExtremeGaming

or from

http://www.pcmarket.com.au/system-details.php?computersystem_id=2203&t odo=switchview&newtopage=true

or could you suggest changes from options available

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2010 1:26 AM   in reply to ruma bambusa

if you're not gonna build it yourself, http://www.adkvideoediting.com/ is our trusted builders.

and for laptops, go Sager.

4 things i had trouble with

you need one more disk for your OS a 200-300gb vraptor(10k-15krpm) would do.

Processor - i7950 would be better

Ram - 12gb(3x2gb sticks) DDR3 @ 1600

Gfx Card - Nvidia gtx470

Also, you forgot to mention your budget.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2010 6:09 PM   in reply to JaysonM-Y

Thanks for the feedback,

Yes we are not in a position here where we can afford to build ourselves (East Timor)

I will also need to use an Australian based company as this is where we need to get our supplies from

We are an NGO development program and fund are always tight and tightly monitored but a system that will work is essential

We are not making top end productions only information and education materials to use locally

I will check your suggestions with the suppliers that I can locate

Any further feedback greatly appreciated

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2010 7:27 PM   in reply to ruma bambusa

LOL we used to post a pic of one of my friends from australia upside down on our profiles.

That nostalgia being revived, if it's your choice going with a budget of USD 2,000(I'm not sure the pricing thar in the outback) would be good.... Then the others(guys on teh forum) could help you specify the best hardware.... btw, you might wanna start a new thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2010 8:40 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I would appreciate it if you or somone here would comment on the component selection I am planning to use to build a new workstation.

CPU - Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz

CPU Fan -  Not yet decided

Motherboard - ASUS Rampage III Extreme

Tower - Cooler Master 922

Memory - DDR3 1600 MHz

System Drive - Raptor 10000 RPM VelociRaptor WD 3000 BLFS 300 GB

Caching and Program Drive - Seagate 7200 RPM 1.5 TB (extra one in my stock)

Power Supply - Antec TPQ-1000 TruPower Quattro 1000 watt

Four hard drives at 2TB eatch to be configured as RAID5 - Seagate 7200 RPM

RAID card- Adaptec RAID 3405 (moved from existing computer)

Video card - nVIDIA Quattro FX 3800 (moved from existing computer)

BluRay - LG BH10

DVD Burnger

Two SSD drives for caching- not yet decided

I'd be interested in comments about the ASUS Rampage III Extreme.  My reason for choosing it is the two extra SATA ports with 6.0 Gp/s as well the USB 3.0 ports.  In addition the ability to tweak the clocking.

Cheers,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2010 5:03 AM   in reply to mikeklar

My olny concern is that the case is large enough to provide a 1 inch gap between the video card and the drive bays.

In the PC is asembled this summer the video card was so long that there was no gap.

It was hard to push the video card in and all the power lines and some SATA lines had to run over the video card.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2010 7:22 AM   in reply to Francis Breen

Your point is one I did consider when selecting this case, having gone through this a couple of months ago with a nVIDIA's Quattro FX 4800 card which did not fit into my existing tower.  This case is 3.5 inches deeper than the one I have now and the hard drives are placed sideways so that the cabling does not extend into the case.  I selected it in part due to the location it will have to occupy and the manner in which it vents.  The biggest turnoff is the "red LED lit front fan", which, hopefully can be turned off, I mean the LED not the fan.

Your point is of importance as I expect to add another video card and this time one without compromize.

Thank you for your input.

Cheers,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 9:42 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm:

I'm in a position to build a new video editing coomputer for CS5. My budget is $2500. I have the CS5. Was thiiiiiiiiiiikng of getting two Hard Drives each two TB and mirroring them. Your thoughts please.

Thanks,

David

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 10:04 AM   in reply to Dave514

We purchased all new equipment this year.  We do not have the time or

expertise to build a computer.  So we buy them.  The 4 computers we

purchased were all Dell Alien Auroras.  We felt they were a low cost

option and their operation has been flawless.  Some have the 920 and

some the 980x processors.  They accommodate 4 hard drives.  You can

purchase them with the RAID 1 option.  We use RAID 0 without an issue.

But, we store nothing on the computers.  With the 920 processor and

12 gb ram they cost about $2,200.

If the reason you are using RAID 1 is because you are storing the data

on your computer we would not use the standard 2tb drives.  We prefer

enterprise hard drives. They cost considerably more (2 1/2 x ) , but

there should never be an issue.  For storage we prefer RAID 6 NAS.

That is another subject altogether.  Western Digital WDRE4 - GP

WD2002FYPS is a common choice.  Be certain they were made after May

2010 for some pretty important upgrades.

Good luck to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 10:14 AM   in reply to ruma bambusa

For editing, we believe a gaming computer is a clear choice.  They are extremely fast for their price.  We are using 4 Dell Alienware Auroras.  We feel good about letting Dell do the engineering.  They are easy to buy, dependable, competitively priced, and fast.   With Dell Alienware, there is a large user base to lean on if you have a problem.   We have had  "0" problems in this first year of operation.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 11:00 AM   in reply to bad Timing

Thanks for your input. Working with CS5 I

need very speifc Nvidia Graphics Cards that optimize the

workflow not offered by Dell.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 11:34 AM   in reply to Dave514

the answer is no

you need a minimum of 3 drives

1) OS

2) Work drive (can be raid 0,3,5,6)

3) final output/render (can be raid 0,3,5,6)

raid 1 (mirror) is pointless use an external to back up to...

also there are far far better choices for the $ than Alienware where you would actually get support for Adobe...

the cheap Aurora's (which aint cheap once built out for editing) use MATX boards.pretty sad for editing stations

scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 12:11 PM   in reply to Dave514

We order the Fermi cards already installed.  It is not any special order.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 9:29 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Have you seen this Motherboard from Supermicro, also has the dual CPU support as well  Supermicro H8SGL E-ATX, G34 Socket, One Eight/Twelve-Core support, AMD Opteron 6100 series CPU, 128GB DDR3 1333MHz, SATA AMD SP5100 Controller, Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet, Matrox G200.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 9:46 AM   in reply to Biker2

to be as blunt as possible!

nothing AMD has can beat Intel price or performance.

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 10:34 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Hi,

I, like most others in this thread am building a custom PC (for someone), the only problem is the budget is $1,850 CAD after taxes and shipping, so it's a bit more limited, I had some questions:

In the minimum requirements it lists RAID 0, is this to be a dedicated drive for rendering only? I was planning on doing a RAID 0 (500GB drives) and an OS Drive (500GB), as well as a storage drive (2TB), does this make sense, would all cache/rending point to the RAID 0?

I'm getting the GTX 470, with using this graphics card and CUDA, does this mean it no longer uses the CPU at all, or does it use the CPU and GPU now to do the processing of the video?

The components I'm looking at getting are as follows, right now it's a bit over budget, so I'm looking at possibly going with a less expensive motherboard and going down to 8GB ram.

Graphics Card - EVGA GTX 470

CPU - Core I7 @ 3.06Ghz

Motherboard - Asus P6X58D-E

Raid 0 - 2 x 500GB Seagate 7200rpm drives

OS Drive - 1 x 500GB Seagate 7200rpm drive

Media Storage - 1 x 2TB Western Digital Green drive

RAM - 12GB - G.Skill ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)

Case - Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP

Power Supply - CMPSU-750TX 750W (I've got to take a look at this, might not be enough)

Blu-Ray Burner - LG WH10LS30K

OS - Win7 Prof 64bit

Right now this is totalling around $1,950. First of all, does this setup look decent? It matches a lot of the others I've seen, I'm just not sure on the hard drive setup, Power Supply, and if the graphics card is doing all the work, maybe I could bump down the CPU a bit.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 3:15 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks for the reply! I'll look for a bigger tower, hopefully there is one in the same price range.

I'm curious on the green drive, you definitely know better then I, but I wanted to ask. If media is being stored on it, why the need for 7200rpm? I understand if your actively converting to a drive then you need speed, but once your project is done, do you typically store it on a usb drive or slower large drive, or is that demand for speed still there during playback (in the case of uncompressed video I guess?)

Thanks again for the input

Any input on the hardware I'm using, does it at look OK overall?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 3:46 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Ahhh, the one time I don't copy my message before hitting submit and it logs me out and I lose it

I did mean an export disk (assuming that means where you store your media when your done editing and it's been converted to it's final format).

To be honest I know nothing about adobe premier, I've done research to understand what the requirements are and different recommended setups, I guess the biggest thing I'm grasping at is the hard drives, and I think it's because I don't understand the workflow, I'm planning:

500GB 7200rpm - OS/Page File

RAID 0 / 2 x 500GB 7200rpm - I assume this is where you would keep all your projects as you were working on them for rendering/editing etc.. ? I know it's a requirement for Premier CS5, but it didn't really go into detail on what's to be stored on it.

2TB - I assumed the user of the machine would need somewhere to store his finished work, if this isn't needed, or a 7200rpm 1TB drive would be better, I can absolutely change it.

Thanks again for the reply, I really appreciate it, I just want to be sure I get the hardware and configuration right, so I don't buy all these parts and realize I should have orderex x instead of y

...I'm copying and pasting this one just in case

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 4:55 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Will do... for anyone who happens to follow the thread in the future, my new thread is at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/763808?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2011 7:20 AM   in reply to Neostim

I just had a very similar system built, same CPU, Graphics and Mother Board. I would suggest, 24Gb ram (it is cheap right now) and this Mother Board supports eSata 6.0, I would use a couple of  WD Black 6.0 1Tb drives in Raid 0 for Video storage. That is my setup and it works like a charm.

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2011 10:19 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Hi Harm,

I'm about to get a PC built for home video editing.  Are there any changes to your orginal post you'd make/suggest now given the time that has pasted since then.  It's a great post.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2011 6:17 AM   in reply to ItsGregHere

I would start here:

PPBM5

This chart will provide a picture of the top performing hardware suitable for Premiere Pro CS5.  Choose your desired performance level, take note of the hardware and price it out on a website like newegg.com.

Personally, I would go with an Intel 980x processor, 24GB of RAM and an Nvidia GTX 580 card to power MPE.

Scott with ADK likes Mushkin RAM.  One needs to consider recommendations from someone who builds video editing computers for a living.  Personally, I have been using RAM purchased online from Crucial over the years without issues.

If you don't want to build the system yourself, have Eric with ADK build one for you.  There is a big difference between going with a system builder specializing in gaming computers and one who majors in building video editing computers.

I favor the Gigabyte motherboards, but a lot of guys like Asus.

Harm has some great advice related to overclocking and hard drive configurations.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2011 1:09 PM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Hi Chuck - that CPU looks top of the range - I was more interested in the "economical" range (based on Harm's original post terminology) - we only do video editing say once every month or two after a holiday/trip, and then come back and try to reasonable job (not professional by any means) of pulling the best parts together.  We use Adobe Premiere & Photoshop.  The file types we seem to have currently are:

- *.dv - from our older (a few years old) digital video camera

- *.mts - from the video from our new digital video camera, that takes reasonable video

Currently based on reading to date (not too much yet) is something like:

* CPU / Motherboard

- Not sure (was thinking ASUS for motherboard, but model depends on CPU no doubt?)

- what sort of CPU/motherboard do you think these days fits into the Economical (not professional) category at the moment?  

- Re CPU the list from our local shop is:  http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&bid=2&id2=13

* Memory - get lots it seems     - I was thinking 12GB initially

* Video Card - not sure whether we need something flash given the video formats we are dealing with (see above)?  Someone suggested nVidia GTX470 or a Quadro card for Adobe Premiere work...

* Disk Drives

- dedicated system drive

- video drives - wanted to have data protection (and apparently Drobo's etc are not good for performance) so two (or three) SATA drives here in a RAID 5 configuration I was thinking?   Not sure if there are any tips & tricks here to be aware of re RAID 5 usage with video editing?

* O/S - Win7 64bit - Home Premium or Pro?  perhaps just go for Pro?

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2011 2:12 PM   in reply to ItsGregHere

Go with Win 7 64 Professional.  Make sure it's 64, which is something I'm sure you already know.  If you spend a little extra money, you will get something that is a pleasure to edit on.  If you want to reduce the price a little bit, you should go with high rated non-green 1TB hard drives for your media drives.  You could probably get by with a Corsair 750 watt power supply, but it's a good idea to check that out in one of the many online power supply calculators.

This would make for a decent system and it's somewhat mid-range:

newegg Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211&cm_re= i7-950-_-19-115-211-_-Product
    $309.99

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423&Tpk=GA -X58A-UD3R
    $209.

12GB kit (4GBx3)  US $149.99
    Part #: CT3KIT51264BA1339 • DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=GA-X58A-UD3R

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225&cm_re= haf_x_case-_-11-119-225-_-Product
    Now: $199.99

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011&cm_re= corsair_power_supply_850w-_-17-139-011-_-Product
    $169.99

GIGABYTE GV-N470OC-13I GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125331&cm_re= gtx_470-_-14-125-331-_-Product
    $259.99

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136296&cm_re= raptor_hard_drive-_-22-136-296-_-Product
    Now: $124.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136456&cm_re= western_digital_black_2tb-_-22-136-456-_-Product
    Now: $169.99 x2= 339.98

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2011 1:47 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

excellent - thanks for this Chuck

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2011 11:03 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I just bought a laptop not too long ago and instead of purchasing something new, is there any way I can improve the performance of what I have? I mostly use my laptop for editing photos, but I now want to work with the highest resolution of video that I can. I noticed AE and Pr are a bit sluggish with the HD video I've been playing with. Here's what I have for my laptop:

• Quad Core Intel Core i7 processor (1.73GHz) with Turbo Boost Technology (2.93GHz)
    • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • 8GB of DDR3 RAM & 500GM Serial ATA HDD
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 310M (512MB) Graphics
    • External Hardrive 1TB, eSATA, USB 2.0
    • CS4 Master Collection

I also have a few other questions:

1. In the AE Memory and Multiprocessing preferences, if I have 8GB of RAM, how much is suggested I leave for other applications? I'm probably only going to have the Firefox browser running, if anything.
    2. How much should I allocated to each CPU for rendering multiple frames simultaneously? Right now I have 0.5 GB per CPU.
    3. For Multiprocessing, how many, if any, CPUs should I leave for other applications? It's at 0 now.
    4. Should I use my local disk drive or my external hardrive to run AE and Pr? Would it make much of a difference?

I've tried playing with the settings, but I really don't know what I'm doing and I haven't found anything that really helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2011 4:00 PM   in reply to beetlemite

I would suggest you start a new discussion rather than get into such an old existing discussion.

And about your external disk which way are you using it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2011 4:39 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your response. I didn't know if it would be considered rude to start a new thread when one already exists. There's a lot of participation in this thread and I didn't think anyone would mind if I asked a few related questions.

The external disk is new and I haven't used it for anything yet. I was thinking of using it for storage/back-up. If you think it would be best used for something else, I'm very open to ideas.

Do you have any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2011 10:00 AM   in reply to beetlemite

Someone was able to help me in another forum. I'd thought I'd post his response here, in case someone else has similar specs and searching for answers on performance.

Copla_XT wrote:

For 8gb of ram, I'd leave at least 2gb for other applications. I don't know what plugins you use for Firefox, but that should work. If you have 4 cores, leave one for other programs. Minimum allocated for per CPU, 1gb should work well, maybe 2. Personally, I like longer ram preview over faster rendering. I like to see more than a couple seconds.

I tried it and it works so much better than the default settings. I hope this helps someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 5:01 AM   in reply to beetlemite

Harm,

Good morning, I am building a custom workstation for a friend that shoots  with a Sony EX1 camera and edits footage from that, P2 and AVCHD  together in the same timelines.

I have read that it is  recommended that you have dual hexa-core motherboards for this, but all  the motherboards that support dual-hex CPUs are for servers and lack a  number of the features this user needs such as USB 3, eSATA, on-board  high quality sound.  Plus, if Adobe is serious about the Mercury  Playback Engine, I would think maxing out the Quadro card would be money  better spent than on a second CPU, plus I thought video encoding wasn't  very threadable so having 12 / 24 threads on slower processors wouldn't  be effecient compared to 6/12 threads of a faster processor?

I would like to run the spec of the workstation I have planned to build my friend to see what you think.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Tower case

Antec HCP-1200 Powersupply

ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.46GHz 6 x 256KB L2  Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor  BX80613I7990X                       

24 GB 1600 DDR3 RAM   Corsair Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9

PNY VCQ5000-PB Quadro 5000 2.5GB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0  x16 HDCP Ready Workstation Video Card

ASUS DVD – LightSCRIBE                                

Pioneer Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 6X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Blu-ray Burner BDR-206MBK

256 GB SSD OS and Software Drive                                   

2 TB Backup & Update Install Drive, Tutorials, work, Docs.

2 2 TB Raid for Work Files

256 GB SSD for SWAP and ADOBE CACHE

Multi Card Reader

Thank you for your help,

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2011 10:45 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm,

Do you have a list of up to date components that you recommend for a new rig? Thanks for all the great info that you have put out.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2011 1:36 AM   in reply to iijohnnyii

Good day.

I'm trying to setup a computer that can run adobe master collection cs5.

Is this ok?

Intel Core i7 2600 Processor

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 Motherboard

Intel P67 chipset

4 x DD3 DIMM slot

Build-in Raid 0 and Raid 1

High Definition Audio (up to 7 Channel)

Build in LAN (support up to Gigabit LAN)

Support 2xSATA 6GB/S; and 4xSATA 3Gb/s connection; 2x eSATA; 6xUSB 2.0; 2xUSB 3.0 ports

16GB DDR3 PC-1333

1 x Intel 120Gb SSD (for OS win7 professional)

2 x Seagate 2TB XT Barracuda Series 7200rpm hard drive

GTX570 Sonic 1280Mb GDDR 5320-bit

Thanks.

Gavin Go

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 11:25 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 1:22 PM   in reply to jsm1963

The only problem is the 8 GB of memory because it is using all 4 slots with no expansion room.  You really need 4 GB RAM modules.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 5:32 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Very true, Bill.

That custom-built has a total of only 8GB, and has no available DIMM slots for expansion. It should have had two 4GB DIMMs instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2011 12:17 PM   in reply to ruma bambusa

I only build xeon rigs i can help you with that.

Xeon cpu work great but cost a lot of money

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

How about an update to this?

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...