Dec 8, 2010 1:10 AM

Latest reply: marc6196, May 31, 2011 7:28 PM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2010 5:27 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thank you.  That makes perfect sense given the symptoms reported.

It does leave people who can't get updates to existing driver software kind of out in the cold, though.

You *could* tie the behavior to whether Photoshop is being run in a compatibility mode...  Just a thought.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2010 7:53 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Are these security problems associated with piracy or something that Adobe feels strongly about, because otherwise, it seems that Adobe is disabling people's older scanner usage for reasons that aren't clear other than it makes someone feel happy that they are doing things "correctly" now as far as loading DLLs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 8:48 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Further to my earlier post re. " "This application has failed to start because PMDDTW5.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.":

After I reinstalled the scanner drivers, I also then had to copy the missing .dll from the C:\Windows\'Twain....' folder into the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop folder. As soon as I did that everything returned to normal. Obviously the updater had removed that .dll  during the Adobe update. If you haven't physically moved your missing .dll into the correct Adobe folder, chances are you won't have solved the problem even by reinstalling the scanner software. Just a reinstall of the scanner drivers is not enough. Hope that helps someone.....................................frank

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 10:17 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Are these security problems associated with piracy or something that Adobe feels strongly about,

Yeah, we have to keep the security changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 10:17 AM   in reply to playz123

Obviously the updater had removed that .dll  during the Adobe update.

No, the updater did nothing to your scanner driver.  Please read the previous replies in this topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 10:25 AM   in reply to ABinSeattle

Very nice to see who is and who is not to blaim, but what must I do to get my scanner(s) back in CS5?

Is reinstalling CS5 (and, of course, turning off the updates) the only option?

Otherwise, how long will it take Adobe to fix this problem?  Are we talking days, weeks, months?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 10, 2010 10:28 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

In layman's terms, Photoshop accesses the driver, and the driver loads its DLLs.

Some drivers don't load their DLLs using an explicit path, which is now required because Adobe has changed the run-time policy in Photoshop to require it, per modern Windows standards.

Ergo, some scanner drivers that used to load DLLs successfully now no longer do so, because of the policy change in Photoshop.

JUST GUESSING HERE:  Apparently there have been security breaches because of the older, more liberal policy, and Adobe may have suffered some liability.

The good news is there may be a workaround (based on playz123's post above):  Find and copy the scanner driver DLL that is failing to load into the Photoshop program folder.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 10:39 AM   in reply to MatthewLucker

MatthewLucker wrote:

Otherwise, how long will it take Adobe to fix this problem?  Are we talking days, weeks, months?

Hi Matthew,

As I'm sure you can appreciate, even when we have specific information we generally cannot talk about future updates or releases. At this point, we're still trying to understand the problem, devise a solution, implement it, and do internal testing. So it's premature to talk about when we will have something available, or what form that may take. As I said earlier, as soon as we have some info to share, we will. We appreciate your patience and cooperation to resolve this, we understand how frustrating it is for everyone.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 11:53 AM   in reply to PDFerguson

Hello from France (and sorry for my bad english...). I was looking for a solution to the problem of the (now) famous dll "dragnkl.dll" because I have a Nikon CoolScan V ED and, of course, since the last update of PS CS5, the scanner didn't want to work from PS anymore. I noticed the answer from Noel Carboni : try to copy and paste the missing dll in the PS folder. In fact, I copied all the dll from Nikon to PS and now, it's done : I can use the Nikon Scan directly from PS again. So, thank you for all !

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 10, 2010 12:46 PM   in reply to Le Lion 07

Thanks for confirming that works, Le Lion 07.

Everyone, please keep in mind that this workaround comes with a few strings attached:

If you ever update your scanner software in the future - or if Adobe comes out with a fix that doesn't involve this copy operation - you'll need to remember what files you copied, and you'll either copy them (or new ones) again or remove them from the Photoshop folder.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 2:00 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

It does not work for me.

I copied all dll files from Windows>Twain_32>Nikon>NikonScan to the CS5 plugin>import-export folder, but I get the error message again.

Am I doing something wrong?

Matthew.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 10, 2010 3:04 PM   in reply to MatthewLucker

Yes.

Copy just the DLLs said to be missing to the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 folder.

You may have to copy the first one it complains about, then it will complain about another one, so copy that.  Repeat until it works.

A copy of all the files just sets you up for more work when you have to undo this workaround.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 3:10 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel - that doesn't seem to work for everyone, or copying the DLLs to the system folder.

Some of the drivers are doing horrid (and unsafe!) things with DLL search paths.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 10, 2010 3:12 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I can imagine.  I'm just trying to help.

Notably, no one in the thread above has reported failure after putting the files in the right place, so it must work for some.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2010 1:47 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I got it! And it works! Thank you very much! 

Of course I understand this is only a workaround untill there is a final solution.

Thanks again!

Matthew.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2010 3:11 AM   in reply to ABinSeattle

There are two ways to fix it

First:

You have to copy:
    DRAGNKL1.dll
    NSSLang4.dll
    StdFilters2.dll
    Strato3.dll
    C:\Windows\twain_32\Nikon\Nikon Scan 4.0
    to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5

Second:
    in system advanced settings in control panel you have to edit value in environment variables for "Patch" variable.
    Add: ";C:\Windows\twain_32\Nikon\Nikon Scan 4.0" at the end of the line.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2010 8:45 AM   in reply to darcom-pl

As Paul and Chris stated, we're looking into ways to address this and maintain the security measures that were implemented in the 12.0.2 update. We hope to have additional details in the very near future. Sorry. Thanks for everyone's patience.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2010 10:31 AM   in reply to ABinSeattle

I have noticed that the same error crops up when handing over a file from Lightroom 3.3 to photoshop CS5  (when the TWAIN interface is in place _oops Adobe)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2010 11:09 AM   in reply to becketman

As I said in my original post, which Noel then referenced, I did NOT have to put all the scanner files in the Photoshop folder, only the one that was reported missing when I was booting Photoshop. I suspect if someone puts all the scanner files in that folder, someone may still have problems. Just replace what Photoshop reports is missing, and see if that solves it. As I also reported, that's what worked for me (but I can't guarantee it will work for everyone).................frank

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2010 9:07 PM   in reply to darcom-pl

@darcom-pl

Do you mean either copy the DLL files OR change the enviromental variable, but not both?

You write change the "Patch" variable. I do not have a "Patch" variable, but I do have a "Path" variable. Did you mean the "Path" variable?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2010 2:15 AM   in reply to bgelfand

Hello, as darkon-pl said, the second way works fine for me, I edited the path variable from W7 system, and I deleted all the dll previously added in PS folder. All is right, the Nikon scan works with PS.

So, it's useless to copy the files AND to edit the path variable, just edit path.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2010 6:44 PM   in reply to Le Lion 07

Hi - First Post-

Using CS5 on XP-Pro with Nikon Coolscan IV and Nikon Scan 3.0.  Updated CS5 and scanner no longer appears in 'Import' list.  Tool tips have disappeared also.    Edited path as per suggestion of earlier post and Scanner now appears and works fine.  Tool Tips are still missing.  Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2010 10:03 PM   in reply to darcom-pl

Hi darcom-pl

Your second solution - edit the environmental variable PATH, works perfectly.

Thank you for an effective and elegant solution.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 13, 2010 8:49 AM   in reply to bgelfand

Good find, and a MUCH better workaround than copying files to the Photoshop folder.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2010 8:54 AM   in reply to bgelfand

Just to clarify.......  After editing environmental variable path scanner now works fine from within CS5 but tool  tips are still missing; i.e., tool tips dialogue boxes come up blank.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 13, 2010 8:57 AM   in reply to Tailfish

That's another problem, which Adobe is aware of and feverishly working to fix.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2010 3:01 PM   in reply to darcom-pl

Your post helped me. It worked also for my Epson scanner. I extended the path variable with the location of the twain drivers "%windir%\twain_32\{driver_specific_directory}"

Thanks

Thomas

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2010 4:29 PM   in reply to bgelfand

I mean copy the DLL files OR change the enviromental variable, not both.

I made a mistake. It should be "Path" and not "Patch" : )

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 4:59 AM   in reply to ABinSeattle

ok, I found third solution.
    I made a launcher for photoshop.
    You can download it from here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/437066686/ps.exe
    This is basicly batch file compiled to exe, which contains:
      path=%windir%\twain_32\Nikon\Nikon Scan 4.0;
      start Photoshop.exe

With this solution you don't need to change any system settings or copy dlls

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 7:20 PM   in reply to ABinSeattle

I'm having the same problem:  can't find DRAGNKL1.dll.  I do appreciate Adobe's efforts in finding a solution to this problem.  I know Microsoft has their guidelines, but Microsoft also has demonstrated on countless occasions that it's not always the smartest software company around.  Their guidelines shouldn't make my scanner software suddenly obsolete.  A Photoshop user ought to be able to turn off this new "security system" in the same way that users of Vista and Windows 7 are able to turn off Microsoft's ridiculous User Account Control.

Thanks again for not disregarding this problem and working to find a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 11:14 PM   in reply to ABinSeattle

I just checked for updates and found 12.0.3 update is now available. The narrative claims it fixes the Tool Tip problem under XP and...

When I click the "Information" link, it takes me to the 12.0.2, not 12.0.3, update information - nothing new there.

Does the 12.0.3 update fix the TWAIN problem under Windows? Does it break the work around of editing the PATH environmental variable that works now?

After being "bitten" by the 12.0.2 update, I am reluctant to install Photoshop updates until I have heard from other, more "adventurous" souls <grin>

Anyone using NikonScan tried this update yet?

Has Adobe tested using NikonScan this time around?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 11:34 PM   in reply to bgelfand

12.0.3 should fix the TWAIN problem - see the release notes for details.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2010 1:44 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I confirm that the problem has been fixed by the last update.

NikonScan now works without problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2010 8:22 PM   in reply to darcom-pl

Yes. Thanks for hanging in there. We got this update as fast as humanly possible. Details here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/12/photoshop-12-0-3-update-for-cs5-w indows-now-available.html

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 8:50 AM   in reply to ABinSeattle

Wow - terrific!  That was fast.  Thank you Adobe!  Works great!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 12:39 PM   in reply to bgelfand

Thank you, Adobe.

Happy Holidays.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2010 9:36 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hey Mr. Cox, is anything ever Photoshop's fault and what exactly do you do around here, besides tell people what they're doing wrong and how Photoshop is perfect in every way. Sorry to be off topic, but it seems to me you have a small (sarcasm) chip on your shoulder. You're in customer service, you should be polite to the people that need help and who have bought YOUR companies product. You don't look cool, acting like a jerk to people on an Internet forum, what are you 15 years old. Again sorry for the off-topic post and the possible flaming, but I can't stand people who are overly-proud. This post will most likely be removed, but I had to say something, sorry.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Dec 23, 2010 10:28 AM   in reply to 3000Photos

3000 photos, in fact, Chris Cox is not in customer service. He is one of the main engineers working on Photoshop, and he does visit the forum on his own time, trying to help, troubleshoot, catch bugs...

Yes, he can jump straight to the point, be very direct, but I do prefer that to politician's talk, don't you?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Dec 23, 2010 12:24 PM   in reply to 3000Photos

double post

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This