Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe PDF Printer Missing Fix - Adobe Acrobat 8.1 - Vista

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2007 Jul 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe PDF Printer Missing Fix - Adobe Acrobat 8.1 - Vista

1. Type "C:\Windows\inf" into the search box on the start menu.
2. Locate the INFCACHE.1 file and right-click it and select Properties.
3. On the INFCACHE.1 Properties window tab to the "Security" tab and click the "Edit" button to change permissions on this file.
4. On the Permissions for INFCACHE.1 window click the "Add" button.
5. On the Select Users or Groups window click the "Advanced" button.
6. A new Select Users or Groups window will open and then click the "Find Now" button.
7. The search results are sorted alphabetically; locate the username you logon to Windows with and then double-click.
8. Under the "Enter the objects names to select..." you should see something like this YOURCOMPUTERNAME\Yourusername
9. Now click the OK button.
10. You will now return to the Permissions for INFCACHE.1 window.
11. Under the Permissions for Yourusername you need to tick "Full Control" under the Allow column. Click the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button.
12. You will be prompted with a "Windows Security" window, just click the "Yes" button and continue.
13. Delete the INFCACHE.1 file.
14. Restart your computer.
15. Open Adobe Acrobat 8.1
16. Locate the Help menu item and click Repair Acrobat Installation
17. Restart if requested to do so.

This fix worked on Windows Vista Business Edition (32-Bit).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2007 Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume this post was to answer to this very frustrating situation: "PDFMaker cannot locate the Adobe PDF Printers printer driver." I have reinstalled Adobe Acrobat 8.1 Professional numerous times. I have Vista (64 bit).

So I tried this procedure. However, I couldn't get past step 13 "Delete the INFCACHE.1 file." Vista won't let me delete the file. I supposedly don't have permission but I am the only user and am the administrator. That step seemed weird anyway. Why would we reconfigure that file and then delete it?

Since I couldn't delete INFCACHE.1, I just went ahead with restarting the computer, then reinstalling Adobe Acrobat. It's a long process and it didn't make any difference. So the principal reason to have Adobe Acrobat Professional is voided. Can anyone offer more help? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You reconfigure the permissions on the INFCACHE.1 file so you are allowed to delete it. Did you make sure you "allow" your account "full control" on the INFCACHE.1 file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. Your instructions were excellent. It was my mistake: missing the reason for modifying the permissions for INFCACHE.1 was simply to be able to delete it. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2007 Aug 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an inf file you could add the printer with inside C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF - why not use that instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2007 Aug 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried that but my INFCACHE.1 file was corrupt so I would be prompted with "Printer driver was not installed. Unable to find a core driver package that is required by the printer driver package." It may work for other computers though. The only thing that worked for me was to follow the steps given in the first post in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2007 Aug 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good man, thank you for this fix - works fine. Have a good day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2007 Aug 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I get a similar message, and am using Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0 on Windows Vista Home Edition. The exact error message is:

PDFMaker cannot locate the Adobe PDF Printer's printer drivers. Please re-install Adobe Acrobat 6.0.

My PC already comes pre-installed with Adobe Reader 8.0.

I assume this is not causing a conflict.

Will the same instructions you have given above solve this problem too?

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat 8.1 is currently the only supported version for Windows Vista but the above fix is worth a try for 6.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this procedure but still no pdf printer. In fact now I don't have a infcache.1 file to delete
here the story
I installed CS3 with Acrobat 8 pro but not printer I ran reinstall/repair but it does not touch Ac Pro 8 as it says its already installed. I uninstalled CS3 (tictoctictoc) eventually uninstalled everything except Ac Pro 8 but it is unusable, as it requires CS3 Apps (normal - so the setup knows its part of CS3 but won't uninstall it) I reinstall CS3 but it says Ac pro 8 is already installed. I can't try the above procedure again as now I don't have a infcache.1 file to delete.
Ac Pro 8 is obviously corrupt but there appears to be no way of uninstalling via control panel setup from dvd.
How can I uninstall Ac Pro 8 and restart it all again.
Frustating...it is all working fine on my XP notebook.

aaaargh VISTA more like BLISTER or some other infection

TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2007 Sep 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. Be sure to save the download to your desktop and run as Administrator to install it, which can be done by right clicking on "msicuu2.exe" and going to "Run as administrator." Then type "C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\msicuu.exe" into the search box on the start menu; the utility will run. Locate Adobe Acrobat 8 then click the "Remove" button. Now restart and try to reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2007 Sep 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply
I tried it and thought I was getting somewhere, it cleaned it up all ok and when I went to reinstall CS3 the install said it was going to install Ac 8 Pro and I thought yep its going to be ok.........after the hour or so reinstalling, everything else installed ok but with an error for ac8 pro "install failed"
still no pdf printer.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits, and getting this error on Acrobat Prof 8.1:
"Unable to start print job. Is printer available?
I tried Gnavicks's fix with the INFCACHE.1, but still I am not able to print with Acrobat. I have Foxit Reader 2.0 which prints the .pdf files with not problem, except for complicated form filler pdf files.
Obviously there must be something corrupted with Acrobat, I have re-installed a couple of time, but to no aval.
Is there anything else around I could try to make it work?
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2008 Jan 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Adobe Acrobat 6 Professional on Windows Vista Home Premium system and it does not work...i have done research and apparently this version of adobe is not compatible with vista. Now I am encountering problems with opening Excel, get an error message saying Auto Exec New & Dist Mon...i moved the file from XLSTARTUP to my docs but still encounter problem. I have also deleted the adobe 6 version from the adobe folder since it does not load and it doesn't show under uninstalling programs. Any suggestions how to either make adobe 6 work on vista operating system or getting rid of the error message when opening excel? Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2008 Jan 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am speechless... I have been corersponding with the Adobe support group for 2 1/2 months and they have been unable to help me - and this worked!!!! THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, I'm glad I could be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gnavicks,

I am having the same problem on my Vista Ultimate 64bits, I tried your fix above but it did not work for me. Do you have any other suggestion for me to try?

I know this is an Adobe Acrobat problem because I have been able to use the Foxit Reader to print PDF files with not problems.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2008 Feb 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed, this solution is for issues creating PDF files not printing PDF files.

You may have a different issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2008 Feb 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi de Siem,

Yes you are right, my problem is not been able to print from Acrobat 8.1 under Vista 64 bits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2008 Mar 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot man it worked out for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2008 Apr 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I have a simular problem, the printer is locatet but vista tells me all the time that acrobat distiller has stopped working.
If i try to make a pdf file from a program ex. excel it stop making it after a short while, adn nothing happend except for the message acrobat distiller has stopped working.
I have Vista with service pack 1, and adobe acrobat 8 proff.
I have tried your sollution if the pdf printer doesnt appear
Hope you can help me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2008 Apr 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>acrobat 8

You need to update (in order) to 8.1.2

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2008 Apr 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Thanks for the answer, i have a problem with the link on adobes site,the page is unavailable.
Do you know any other places where the updates are? When you write in order, do you then mean 8.1 first then 8.1.1 and so on?
BG Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2008 Apr 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again
I found the updates and have updated to 8.1.2, same thing happens, i tried to change the inf file as described, but i still have the same problem. I do not have the vista business, but the home premium.
Do you have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines