This discussion is archived

Any way to shortcut "Workflow Options"?

Dec 7, 2010 6:34 AM

Latest reply: Noel Carboni, Dec 18, 2010 1:35 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2010 5:37 AM   in reply to RASouthworth

RASouthworth wrote:

There is no way to manipulate the image within ACR to fit it into a printer profile color space, only into one of the four provided workspaces.  One is flying blind trying to edit the image in ACR for a final print rendering.  I edited the image at a point in the workfllow where I could more accurately judge print color gamut fit, and by using ProPhoto I didn't "throw away" any colors in advance.

If the end goal is for email/web, i.e. display only, then I agree manipulating within ACR in sRGB is ok, and that's exactly what I do for 95% of my pictures, saving directly out of ACR.

Thanks, Richard. That's been very helpful to me. I'm glad I brought it up.

Most of my profile conversions were from ProPhoto to Adobe, or ProPhoto to sRGB. Occasionally, I would print using an Epson 1400 A3+ inkjet, using a variety of supplied and home-made profiles, and have to prove the conversion in Photoshop.

I was under the misapprehension that profile conversions were supposed to do the whole job of making the image work in a different colour space, with the rendering intent chosen to give the best conversion. In effect, I've learned that this isn't the case, and that adjustments need to be made before the conversion.

I recently adopted the use of a AdobeRGB workspace in ACR because I supply stock photography in this colour space, and I find ACR's controls to be easy to use and intuitive. Plus, further conversions to sRGB for digital frame, projector, and web within Photoshop have produced perfectly acceptable results 99% of the time. By processing within the constraints of AdobeRGB, I am able to simplify and streamline 95% of my efforts.

By using ProPhoto, I would have to work with Photoshops adjustment tools, which I find less intuitive (and subsequently slower), and would result in the collection of many PSDs containing processed raw files with adjustment layers. To be honest, I prefer the simplicity and small size of the humble XMP sidecar file.

However, I now understand that this isn't the best way to work if a decent print is the goal. Photoshop is the only part of the workflow where the image can be properly shoe-horned into a printer profile, and this must be done with the application of adjustment layers! Clink (the sound of a penny dropping)!

[edited because the sound of a dropping penny is apparently offensive]

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2010 8:01 AM   in reply to RASouthworth

It would be good at least to have a Color Profile indicator in the Save dialog, so you would have one last chance to notice it.  And it wouldn't be all THAT hard to implement, I shouldn't think.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 18, 2010 8:29 AM   in reply to Yammer

By the way, something to keep watch over for you ProPhoto RGB and Adobe RGB users...  If  you use the Image - Adjust - HDR Toning option in Photoshop you'll notice it forces your image into the sRGB color space.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2010 11:20 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

HDR Toning converts to the working space as listed in your color settings. So if your source is Pro or Adobe, and working is sRGB then you result with sRGB. If your working is Pro then HDR Toning results in Pro.

-Norman

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 18, 2010 1:35 PM   in reply to NormanPCN

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  For some reason it hadn't crossed my mind that it might be tied to my preferred working space, but now it makes sense.

One wonders, if the tool is capable of producing output in whatever color space you have configured, why not keep the image's original color space?  Maybe when they tried that it was popping up messages for people who configured profile mismatch warnings.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points