• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion 9 and Performance Monitor - Running Requests and Queued Requests are always zero

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2010 Dec 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Coldfusion 9 standard under Windows 2008 R2 64bit.  I enabled Performance Monitoring in the Admin.  In Performance Monitor (running in 32 bit mode) I added all the ColdFusion counters, but the only counter that ever goes above zero is Avg Req Time.  All other stay at zero.

I'm really interested in seeing Running Requests and Queued Requests.

Any ideas?

I just upgraded from ColdFusion 5 and they counters always worked in CF5.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 19, 2010 Dec 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Perhaps enable CFSTAT, CFadminUI > Debugging & Logging > Debug Output Settings > Enable CFSTAT .Do you get values for the same counters when using cfstat (eg C:\ColdFusion9\bin>cfstat 5)?

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, it's enabled but not making a difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to be clear CFSTAT also showed all zero's (no counter values) for each counter except for Avg Req Time? I am expecting cfstat to show eg:

Pg/  DB/Sec  CP/Sec  Reqs  Reqs  Reqs  AvgQ   AvgReq AvgDB  Bytes  Bytes
Now   Now     Now    Q'ed  Run'g TO'ed Time   Time   Time   In/Sec Out/Sec

1      4     -1     0     0     0     0      -37694 13     1316   60
1      3     -1     0     0     0     0      -52    30     259    10
1      4     -1     0     0     0     0      215    13     1320   0

It is desirable not to have things waiting in a queue so I think 0 Requests Q'ed is a good value.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry I wasn't clear.  yes, CFSTAT is showing stats as I would expect.  avg request time, running requests, etc. are values that are normal and as expected.

here's a pic:

cfstat9.JPG

But it's the windows Performance Monitor that never goes above zero for these same stats.

Sure I could use CFSTAT but it's command line and not very user friendly.  In CF5 I leave the Perfmon up and running and at a glance I can see the stats and get a quick overview of site and server performance.

I'd like to do the same thing with CF9 but the stats just sit on zero, which I can't believe is accurate.

this is a pic of Performance Monitor with CF5, you can see the servers show stats, you can even see one server has some queued up requests so I know I need to take some corrective

action.  (yes zero queued is a good thing, but occasionally a server get's queued up and needs to be dealt with)

stats.JPG

now on my CF9 box, all stats are just sitting on zero.

stats9.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what to suggest perhaps some 32 64 bit thing going on?

It works for me Win08 32bit CF9 32bit:

Capture.JPG

and Win08 r2 64bit CF9 64bit:

Capture1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2010 Dec 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea I"m starting to suspect that myself....  thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 21, 2010 Dec 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On consol rather than running perfmon.msc just run a dos prompt with cfstat 1 - that will update every second and name the columns every so often. The counters are very similar between perfmon CF and cfstat.

Another idea would be to dump the cfstat contents to a file and read the file every so often. CF\bin\cfstat 1 > cfstat.txt . Take care not to fill the filesystem.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2010 Dec 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for that tip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does this solution do performance-wise? Is it a resource hog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

CFSTAT and Performance Monitor enabled are two ways of doing the same thing for getting some logging out of the CF system. Not got CF in front of me right now, as I recall you can use CFSTAT or PM (PM for windows only) on Server install not Enterprise (multi-server) or J2EE.

Enabling any kind of logging, there are others Metrics and JVM, has some kind of overhead, I have a personal preference to CFSTAT over PM since it is easy to dump it to a file and read the file latter. Is logging a hog, I think not however I would not leave it on once I have finished with logging.

CF Metrics style logging provides the same counters as CFSTAT and PM plus a few more.

JVM logging shows how the Java engine inside CF is running with its memory spaces and garbage collections.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I forgot,

Add to the logging methods - CF Server Monitor (Enterprise or Developer licence). Parts of Server Monitor are fair to say a resource hog. You put all those logging methods together CFSTAT / Performance Monitor, CF Metrics, JVM and Server Monitor (perhaps not all at once) and you got plenty of ways to see what is happening on your CF system.

Other than those logging methods there are some third-party options seefusion and fusion reactor and perhaps others.

How the saying go - horses for courses, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation