Skip navigation

Photoshop CS5 Clipboard Issue (Win 7)

Jan 3, 2012 12:13 PM

Latest reply: nothgirl, Aug 27, 2013 9:27 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2010 11:25 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

Hi!

There is a problem with all curently versions.

I have an answer from NIK:

"We know about that issue and are currently working on a solution together with Adobe, which might take some time"

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 9:13 AM   in reply to adobeunknownuser

I just wanted to add my name to the list of people with this exact same problem.  I have a few Nik plugins installed with PS CS5 64bit and the clipboard has been rendered unuseable by them.  Disabling SelectivePalette.8li with a tilde worked for me - let's hope they fix this soon.

-NB

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2010 4:35 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

Had this problem for months and eventually had to switch to 32-bit Photoshop CS5.  After reading this thread, I uninstalled Nik HDR Efex Pro and copy/paste functionality has been fully restored in 64-bit Photoshop CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2010 7:29 AM   in reply to Tora999

I also suffered from the PS CS5 clipboard issue and it drove me crazy, after reading about the NIK software plugins I uninstalled a demo of VIVEZA 2 I had and now clipboard working perfectly. Prob not everyone solution but worked for me... Maybe other 3rd party 64bit plugins could be causing the same issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 5:00 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

Hi there from Nik Software! We have identified and resolved the issue. It requires a replacement of a config file so the easiest thing would be if you could contact our support team and then they can walk you through the process. This is only necessary if you're on CS5 (the issue shouldn't occur on CS4 or earlier). You can reach our support team from the following page:

http://www.niksoftware.com/support/usa/entry.php?view=onlinesupport/us a_form.tpl&language=us

We're working with Adobe to prevent this type of thing from happening in the future.

Cheers!

-Josh

Sr. Product Manager

Nik Software, Inc.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 12:24 PM   in reply to Nik Software, Inc.

There is an FAQ on the Nik site that asks if you have a problem with HDR Effecx and

indicates a configuration file in zip format. However, the FAQ doesn't specify which

problem the configuration file is supposed to remedy.

Is this the configuration file that solves the clipboard issue?

-wick

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 12:26 PM   in reply to xxyynmop

No, that solves a different issue entirely. As I mentioned, the best way if you're having this problem is to contact our support team directly with the link I originally posted.

Thanks!

-Josh

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 4:24 PM   in reply to Nik Software, Inc.

I'll do that, but you should know that your support site indicates that no one from your team will be available to help in the next two days, due to high volume etc. etc. The link you provided just leads to a general support ticket entry form. Is this what you intended?

Isn't there some written instruction you could give to all of us who have this problem?

-wick

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 4:53 PM   in reply to xxyynmop

Well, posting something to our web page will most likely take longer than 2 days which is why I recommended to go through our support staff. Seems like it's pretty urgent though, so let's see if I can't take a crack at this:

Download the following file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/794472/SelToolInst.cfg

And place it in the c:\programs\adobe\adobe photoshop cs5\plug-ins\nik software\selective tool\ folder

Restart Photoshop

Give it a whirl.

-Josh

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 11:55 PM   in reply to Nik Software, Inc.

Yes, that fixed the problem here. Thanks for speeding things up.

I copied it to the 64-bit and the x86 counterpart folder too (not sure if the latter was necessary, but it didn't seem to do any harm).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 7:54 AM   in reply to Nik Software, Inc.

Thanks for the config file. I will give it a try.

Sorry to imply it was urgent. I could have waited the several days. It's just
    that the link you supplied does in fact seem to be the Web interface for
    support, and the reply I received from following that link and filling out the
    form resulted in an email telling me that "due to the overwhelming popularity of
    HDR Efex Pro, our response time is now 2-3 business days." It's not a problem.
    It just seemed as though you were pointing us to a solution or a direct
    connection to the support team rather than a support ticket application.

Again. thanks for the pointer to a solution. I will let you know how it works
    out.

-wick

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 7:56 AM   in reply to Nik Software, Inc.

Tried it and it didn't work for me.

I placed the file in the following directory, which is close as I could get to

the one you specified. My programs are stored on my F: drive:

F:\Program Files\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Nik Software\Selective

Tool

Is this wrong? It didn't seem to work. Clipboard still not working in CS5

64-bit.

-wick

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 8:00 AM   in reply to Nik Software, Inc.

Worked for me.

Can access clipboard and Silver Efex seems to work fine.

Care to tell us what the issue is/was?

Lew

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 8:00 AM   in reply to Nik Software, Inc.

Worked for me.

Can access clipboard and Silver Efex seems to work fine.

Care to tell us what the issue is/was?

Lew

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 9:07 AM   in reply to Nik Software, Inc.

Sorry, but that solution did not work for me.  I'm still having the Clipboard issue.  I wish it worked!

Nick

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 9:18 AM   in reply to nickpudar

Strange, it seems to work for some and not others. Once we were able to reproduce this on our test machines, this fix seemed to work. I'll have to get back to the dev & qa teams to see if they have any further thoughts. I might need to get a hold of you directly, could you send me a private message with your contact info in case we need to dig deeper?

Thanks,

-Josh

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 9:36 AM   in reply to Nik Software, Inc.

This problem with the Clipboard was driving me crazy.  I uninstalled Nik HDR EffectS Pro and it went away.  Yoo-hah.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 9:58 AM   in reply to laserfaire

Hi Josh,

The file you posted fixed the issue for me.

Does NIK plans to correct this in future updates.  I am wondering if I am going to need i to manually install this file every time I upgrade or reinstall a NIK product.

-NB

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 10:04 AM   in reply to Nik Software, Inc.

Josh, just tried to send you a private message, but this system apparently doesn'tmake that possible. I went to your profile page and clicked on "send private message" but it didn't recognize you as a valid email recipient.

Checked on my own profile page here and there is an email address there, so you can contact me.

-wick

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2010 10:05 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

Hi Josh,

The file you posted fixed the issue for me.

However I did have to install it both the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" directory path you posted. I'm Woking on a Win 7 64x sytem and have both PS CS5 32x and 64x version installed.

Belay my last. I rebooted and the clipboard in PS CS5 64X no longer works. No problem with CS5 32x or CS4 64x.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 9:51 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

I had the exact same problem on my one year old Acer Aspire 5738-6745 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended 64-bit.

The weird thing is, it only happened to me after I reinstalled windows. It never occurred before.

Anyways, I found a solution. You just have to open Notepad and type in the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\12.0]
    “AlwaysImportClipboard”=dword:00000001

Then save it as AlwaysImportClipbd_ON.reg, close Photoshop if it is opened, and install the registry file.

Doing this worked for me!

Hope it helps!

-Jordan

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2011 2:51 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

You should try to uninstall the plugin then.

All I know is that the plugin is not the initial problem, because I have never had it installed.

But seriously, using the registry thingy solved the problem for me.

Sorry I can't help more

-Jordan

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 8:13 AM   in reply to jordancameron

I've been following this thread with interest. It seems every time I upgrade Photoshop I have to go find this registry hack again. CS2, CS3, CS4 and now CS5. But this time it doesn't do the trick for me either. I'm on Win 7 64 bit, no add ins. I hope Adobe keeps looking because there is a problem that is not related to plug - ins, even though it seems plug - ins seem to help push the problem into the forefront.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 1:47 PM   in reply to Mr.benttop

Then I should count myself as lucky! Sorry I can't help further.

I hope this gets solved for all you folks who are still struggling!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 11:06 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

Hi,

The config file suplied by Josh H. at Nik should only impact Nik plug-ins, afaik. We have a bug report open and are still investigating the general plug-in SDK documentation. From Nik's findings, one case that can cause problems is triggered by calls made by 3rd party plug-ins, following a sample plug-in from Adobe.

I'm not aware where Alien Skin is at invetigating a fix on their side, but will update here when I hear something.

It also still isn't clear from the follow-up messages if we might have 2 or more bugs with the same end result of a broken clipboard. From what I've read here, there are 1) users with 3rd party plug-ins that have a problem, which goes away when the plug-ins are disabled, and 2) users without 3rd party plug-ins that have had to result to reg key changes. Is that how others see it? Can those reporting the reg key change as a fix confirm that they aren't running any 3rd party or non-default plug-ins?

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 6:55 AM   in reply to SG...
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

SG... wrote:

Can those reporting the reg key change as a fix confirm that they aren't running any 3rd party or non-default plug-ins?

I can report that I'm not running any plug-ins, have tried the registry fix, and still have the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 8:48 AM   in reply to Mr.benttop

Well I should know better than this, but what I just posted is incorrect. It seems that after running the registry fix, you MUST reboot! I apparently had forgotten to do this, and once I rebooted this morning my Photoshop CS5 clipboard is working correctly! My apologies to those who may have scurried off to look at things that did not need looking at.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 10:56 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

For what it's worth, when I did the registry hack, I first used notepad to create a .reg file. When it was apparent that it did not work, I used regedit to go look, and Windows 7's security configuration here had apparently prevented the .reg file from causing the entry to be recorded. So I created the entry manually in regedit. You might have a peek - maybe your security settings are like mine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2011 8:30 AM   in reply to SG...

I am running Photoshop CS5 with no plugins. I have the problem intermittently. The clipboard works several times, then does not, retaining the previous clipboard entry. Purging does not help. Restarting Photoshop works. I have not tried the registry hack.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 4:49 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

I was definitely having this problem on my machine, and the above registry hack fixed it.

Windows XP 32-bit

Core 2 Duo

Photoshop CS5 12.0 x32

I have also had the same problem on my Win 7 / i7 / 64 machine. I haven't had a chance to see if the hack works on that environment, but I suspect it isn't environment-specific.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2011 8:43 AM   in reply to Andrew Ochtinsky, Art.com

As far as I can tell, using Windows 7 x64 and Photoshop CS5, there is no limit to the size of the clipboard it will import, whether or not the AlwaysImportClipboard registry value is set or not.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 8:56 AM   in reply to xxyynmop

Everybody is just discussing here but anyone found any solution or not yet?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2011 9:07 AM   in reply to umarmughal

Read through the thread:

For newer versions of Photoshop (e.g., CS5) some plug-ins by a particular company were identified as interfering with the clipboard.

For older versions of Photoshop there's a built-in limit to the size of the clipboard it will import, unless a particular registry value is added.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 12:22 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I am using Z800 Workstation, 8 Core machine, with 12GB Ram and everything on top with windows 7 64 bit, i dont feel any built-in limit here, about plugin i am not sure, is there anyway i can fix the issue as you said by adding registyr value, btw i am using CS5 and specilly i cant copy paste from illustrator which i could a week back, this is really weird.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 2:31 AM   in reply to jordancameron

Anyways, I found a solution. You just have to open Notepad and type in the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\12.0]
    “AlwaysImportClipboard”=dword:00000001

Then save it as AlwaysImportClipbd_ON.reg, close Photoshop if it is opened, and install the registry file.

Doing this worked for me!

Hope it helps!

-Jordan

I'm running CS5 64 on a clean Win 7 64 system. Had problems with the clipboard just as described in this thread. No funky plugins or processes running. Adding the registry entry solved it - however I had to add the registry entry as a QWORD insted of a DWORD, or PS would hang when I attempted pasting.

Cheers. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 10:05 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

I had the clipboard paste problem with CS5 64-Bit while using Color Efex Pro. Removing the filter restored normal clipboard function. Same filter with PSE 9 did not cause the problem as it's 32-bit.

Download of the config file fix posted by NIK Software wasn't successful at first, though I was successful after getting a tip from Dropbox support to add the ?dl=1 parameter to the url as follows:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/794472/SelToolInst.cfg?dl=1
    Copying the cfg file to the Selective Tool folder as described in the NIK Software post 88 solved the problem.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points