Skip navigation
masiddee
Currently Being Moderated

Free Transform multiple objects...

Dec 21, 2010 7:01 AM

It would be very nice to have the ability to select multiple layers/objects and free transform them about their respective orientation points rather than one, shared point.

For example, I am creating a large grid of items that are all in 1" X 1" squares and get them all spaced correctly on the gird, only to find out that each one needs to be increased slightly in size, BUT keep them centered in their respective squares. But the way I currently do it, I have to go item by item adjusting the sizes individually. A better option would be to be able to select all the objects, check a box that says "Transform by individual Orienation Point" and then go about resizing the one free transform box and having each object transform about their own orientation point, thereby saving me a tremendous amount of time and work.

The odd thing is, this feature has already been implemented (in a roundabout way) in InDesign already (here), you would think it would have found its way into Photoshop by now.

Feel free to let me know if I am missing something that is already implemented? Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2010 11:25 PM   in reply to masiddee
    Feel free to let me know if I am missing something that is already implemented?

Well, it may not be a readily available functionality, but I suppose it should be Scriptable without too much difficulty.

Admittedly without some Scripting experience (preferably JavaScript) it may be a daunting task.

I have to go item by item adjusting the sizes individually

Are you using Actions to streamline the process at current?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2010 8:05 AM   in reply to masiddee

I have looked into a Script for the task based on the selected layers and so far the best I could come up would still play havoc with the history; though it might be possible to avoid that.

I suppose an easier approach would be to handle all layers within a Group – would this be useful to you?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2010 9:36 AM   in reply to masiddee

So all your squares need to be upscaled by precisely the same amount? You can can record an Action that will perform the scale on the first. Then just re-run the Action with a shortcut on all the other layers, you can even automate the "move to next layer" step, so just hitting a single key will transform as many layers as you want one by one very quickly. Transform again (command shift T) will misregister them unfortunately.

Another option is for you to have set the squares up as instanced Smart Objects (if they are all the same). Then scaling one object in Image Size will scale them all instantly.

What you asked for is an interesting request, but its hard to see how it would be useful generally. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points