Skip navigation

enable CUDA ?

May 2, 2010 1:50 AM

Latest reply: Nicholas Cole, Jan 9, 2014 2:43 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 24, 2010 9:24 AM   in reply to edelf63

I have been reading for quite a while now about system requirements, the supported NVIDIA graphics cards and the hack for those that aren't.

I am far from the most technical guy and could use some help in trying to buy a laptop for a non-profit that will work well with Premiere Pro CS5. We shoot mostly in AVCHD, but will receive a good deal of video on other formats.

A call to Adobe support and allegedly getting someone who says they know (after some very direct questioning from me and having my doubts) indicates that they support the GeForce GTX 285M fo Premeire Pro CS5 (I asked specifically is the 285M along with the 285 supported and she insisted yes). Reading here, I believe I see that isn't the case. Is that right?

I also see there are a very limited number of laptops (if any) with the supported cards. I too had checked our the MSI.

If someone knows of laptops with supported cards, can you please send along that info.

Also, has anyone confirmed any NVIDIA graphics cards used in laptops that will work with the hack to enable the MPE. 

For what we are doing with our video, as much as I would like Premeire Pro CS5, it may be smarter and less complicated to try out Edius 6 first. I have to buy the hardware now, so I would least like the option with the hack of having the a video card that can fully use the MPE. That way I can switch to CS5 at some point, if needed.

I am clear on most, if not all, the other system requirements from reading all of the informative previous posts on various threads.

Please inform me if you think my thought process is a bit screwy. At the moment we are not doing a lot of high end editing, but that may change. For now, a laptop is a requirement due to the nature of the work.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2010 9:42 AM   in reply to lds55

> A call to Adobe support and allegedly getting someone who says they know (after some very direct questioning from me and having my doubts) indicates that they support the GeForce GTX 285M fo Premeire Pro CS5 (I asked specifically is the 285M along with the 285 supported and she insisted yes). Reading here, I believe I see that isn't the case. Is that right?

Please email me at kopriva -at- adobe -dot- com and give me the case number for the technical support contact during which you were given this false information. I need to ensure that the person who gave you that information doesn't tell other people the wrong thing, too.

The GTX 285M is not one of the cards with which Premiere Pro CS5 officially provides the CUDA processing features.

Here is the system requirements page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

The only 'M' card is the Quadro 5000M. Enabling that card requires the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update, recently released.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2010 10:47 AM   in reply to lds55

lds55 wrote:

I have been reading for quite a while now about system requirements, the supported NVIDIA graphics cards and the hack for those that aren't.

I am far from the most technical guy and could use some help in trying to buy a laptop for a non-profit that will work well with Premiere Pro CS5. We shoot mostly in AVCHD, but will receive a good deal of video on other formats.

A call to Adobe support and allegedly getting someone who says they know (after some very direct questioning from me and having my doubts) indicates that they support the GeForce GTX 285M fo Premeire Pro CS5 (I asked specifically is the 285M along with the 285 supported and she insisted yes). Reading here, I believe I see that isn't the case. Is that right?

I also see there are a very limited number of laptops (if any) with the supported cards. I too had checked our the MSI.

If someone knows of laptops with supported cards, can you please send along that info.

Also, has anyone confirmed any NVIDIA graphics cards used in laptops that will work with the hack to enable the MPE. 

For what we are doing with our video, as much as I would like Premeire Pro CS5, it may be smarter and less complicated to try out Edius 6 first. I have to buy the hardware now, so I would least like the option with the hack of having the a video card that can fully use the MPE. That way I can switch to CS5 at some point, if needed.

I am clear on most, if not all, the other system requirements from reading all of the informative previous posts on various threads.

Please inform me if you think my thought process is a bit screwy. At the moment we are not doing a lot of high end editing, but that may change. For now, a laptop is a requirement due to the nature of the work.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays.

No it is not on the (seemingly ridiculous) official Adobe Supported Cards List, but so what? That card supports CUDA (and it is NOT an ancient card with super-limited CUDA support AFAIK) and has more than the required memory so I would be beyond shocked if it didn't work fine. CUDA isn't used for h.264 decoding anyway so in your case I might be more worried about general system CPU power if you are going to do AVCHD and then CUDA secondarily.

I have yet to hear anyone report that a card that offers any even half-way recent CUDA support and has at least 896MB of memory didn't work with the Mercurcy Engine (although i've pretty much heard from desktop users). And I mean why in the world should they not? The whole point of CUDA was to be a general purpose interface to GPGPU computing not some direct to the metal card by card specific thing. If you look at the official list it doesn't remotely make any sense at all since there are plenty of truly identical cards in every possible way that could matter that aren't even listed.

To really be 100% sure I guess you can search a bit more until you find someone who has it working just in case nvidia didn't bug their mobile processors in this way too and fail to mention that or something, but I doubt that since the nvidia website doesn't appear to mention any crippling to the CUDA on that chipset. And the hack is hardly even a hack. Literally all you do is open a text file and type in the name of your card, save the file back and then it works. Done.

The whole thing seems bizarre to me. OTOH on the nvidia site they go on and on about how all their cards support CUDA and how it works beautifully and so on and then somehow with CS5+NVidia they almost try to make it sound like most of their implementations are bugged or messed up either in the hardware or drivers or both. That seems like a weird impression to want to give off....  (or for adobe to rather you get edius 6 and not their product just over this) It's not exactly like every CPU+motherboard+OS combo get tested so why go so crazy about the video card? Seems like a sales tactic to push quadro and a few cards that had been the very top end consumer level and a silent deal with Adobe where they each do a little for each other on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2010 11:45 AM   in reply to chupacabracobra

Thank you for the reply chupacabracobra.

The one laptop, with the one supported graphics card (Quadro 5000M) that I could find is the HP Elitebook 8740w. The $3500-4000 for this configuration may be too much money for the foundation that I am buying this for (at the very least I don''t think that would be spending their money wisely).

When you say the other cards work, that means with the hack (or not an even hack, as you write) to exploit the full use of the MPE?

I would like to know a few models of cards for laptops that works on so I at least get something that gives me that option for the future, depending on the direction we go.

Much appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2010 9:55 AM   in reply to lds55

My producer has a Laptop with the 330M built in.  Works fine with hardware MPE.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2010 12:20 PM   in reply to edelf63

I have confirmed that the 768mb version of the gtx460 works

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2010 1:45 PM   in reply to lds55

lds55 wrote:

Thank you for the reply chupacabracobra.

The one laptop, with the one supported graphics card (Quadro 5000M) that I could find is the HP Elitebook 8740w. The $3500-4000 for this configuration may be too much money for the foundation that I am buying this for (at the very least I don''t think that would be spending their money wisely).

When you say the other cards work, that means with the hack (or not an even hack, as you write) to exploit the full use of the MPE?

I would like to know a few models of cards for laptops that works on so I at least get something that gives me that option for the future, depending on the direction we go.

Much appreciated.

I wouldn't be so worried about the so-called hack. I mean all you do is type the name of your graphics card and it works. And all you would do to make an approved card not work is delete the name of it from a text file! It's no hack at all!

The program runs a GPUsniffer and if it doesn't see the name of your card in the file it aborts and flags Mercury as not available. If it sees the card on the list then it tests that the drivers are up to date enough and that it has enough memory, if so it enables the Mercury toogle.

YOu re not hacking code, not doing anything weird, the program already supports tons of non-official cards every bit as well as the official cards.

The officials cards thing is likely just a deal where in exchange for help from nvidia they sort of push some of their high-end, high-margin cards to those afraid of things and yet they make the 'hack' so easy so they don't lose people not having an official card and they also don't have to bother dealing with support for nearly as many people or, on the odd chance, some card does ahve some bug, not have to deal with trying to support that and having to deal with taht mess.

So you seriously don't need to shell out $4000 you don't have to just get an official card. Anything with enough memory and even slightly recent CUDA support should be fine. Someone from Adobe posted that they have no plans to remove the easy text file 'hack'. It is good for them and good for us.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2010 5:19 PM   in reply to chupacabracobra

Thank you all. You have been of great assistance. Have a happy new year.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 8:00 AM   in reply to edelf63

hello, i found your post and discussion here about cuda being enabled for PP CS5, but i also found this page about cuda being helpful in CS4 http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/389996-cuda-significan tly-accelerates-photoshop-cs4-premiere.html .

i have CS4, and i recently got a new laptop with I7 740QM, Nvidia G Force 425M, 4GB RAM. i installed the newset driver for the Nvidia, and when i checked the Nvidia Control panel it shows CUDA enabled as default (for all programs i guess, but PP4 was def included in the list).

unfortunately in PP4 there is no option of Mercury Hardware Acceleration (or maybe i just can't see it at the moment?).

can i use the txt file 'hack' to chage that and to get this option? or maybe the 'hack' will help my PP CS4 w/o having the Mercury option shown/avaiable?

from what i've seen here and on other posts online - before you hack it, the option for the GPU acceleration is grey (un-touchable) and after you hack it it becomes changeable. in (my?) PP4 it's not even shown in the project/generel settings menu...

maybe there is just some minor change/s i need to make in the Nvidia control panel? like this one posted here: " Step 6. In the field "multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" switch from "multiple display performance mode" to "compatibilty performance mode"

...?

any thoughts or info about how i can be using the CUDA to work with, or to improve anything in PP4 will help.

thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 9:07 AM   in reply to OriKuper

OriKuper,

The Mercury Playback Engine features and the use of CUDA to process many things is a Premiere Pro CS5 advance. You will not find these features in Premiere Pro CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 10:13 AM   in reply to OriKuper

I believe not ... sorry about that !

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 8:14 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

i guess i'll need to get CS5 then...

thanks for clearing this up.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 7:23 AM   in reply to edelf63

Just used it for my Machine with both a GeForce GTX 560 Ti and a GeForce  GTX 580 and worked great. Reduced rendering time for a large large project from 2 1/2 hours to 50 minutes

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2011 2:27 PM   in reply to edelf63

I'm trying to do this with a Quadro FX 5600 with 1.5 Gig of memory, and I get the following results from GPUSnifffer:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5>gpusniffer
    Device: 0000000000643BB8 has video RAM(MB): 1536
    Vendor string:    NVIDIA Corporation
    Renderer string:  Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
    Version string:   3.0.0

OpenGL version as determined by Extensionator...
    OpenGL Version 3.0
    Supports shaders!
    Supports BGRA -> BGRA Shader
    Supports VUYA Shader -> BGRA
    Supports UYVY/YUYV ->BGRA Shader
    Supports YUV 4:2:0 -> BGRA Shader
    Testing for CUDA support...
       Found 1 devices supporting CUDA.
       CUDA Device # 0 properties -
       CUDA device details:
          Name: Quadro FX 5600
          Compute capability: 1.0
          Total Video Memory: 1467MB
       CUDA driver version: 4000
    CUDA Device # 0 not choosen because CUDA version 1.0 is not supported.
    Completed shader test!
    Internal return value: 7

It says the device has not been selected because CUDA version 1.0 is not supported, but the line above that shows CUDA driver version : 4000.

My NVIDIA driver version is 276.28.  I'm wondering if the lack of a decimal point in what is showing for CUDA 4.0 is causing the problem.

Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2011 3:03 PM   in reply to sonicsavant

I found the answer to my own question in another forum.  Apparently this will not work with the FX5600.  The CUDA version the error message is refering to is the CUDA Compute Capability, not the CUDA Driver version.

Anyway, thanks for supporting the forum!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 9:30 PM   in reply to edelf63

Thank you for this. Add one more poor soul to your list of grateful admirers.

You see, I didn't build my PC, ADK did. And they thoughtfully installed every Adobe app that I will be using from the Creative Cloud. Well, I allowed an update without thinking about it. And then I changed from a single 19" monitor to two 24" 1920X1080 monitors. I thought that I was in big trouble because the GTX670 was not allowing Premiere Pro to see the hardware acceleration because of the monitors. Think about it. My wife decided I should have two new monitors and I couldn't make them work! How was I going to explain that?

Of course I messed around for a good 30 minutes before I gave up and checked here for an answer. You would think I would know better than that!

Thanks again. And thanks to everyone who point people to this thread.

-- Steven Gotz

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 9:45 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Welcome back to the madhouse Steven..

Where ya bin for so long?

Craig

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 10:12 PM   in reply to shooternz

Craig!  Wow. Another guy who beat be to the forums that month and is still around!  (Harm being the other.)

I sort of gave up editing for a few years. Just did a little family stuff. I spent a couple of years doing everything I could to save my day job, then a few years dealing with the fact that I lost the job and had to take one all the way across the country. I saw the Creative Cloud advertisements recently and decided it was time to get back into the game.

Mostly I will be working on things for my day job (in telecommunications) just to get the attention of upper management. Then I will see if I can get back into the tutorial business, or book editing. It is quite profitable for a hobby. It would be nice to pay for my new PC with money earned with Premiere Pro. Although, I have to say that the free tutorials on the Creative Cow are pretty darn good. And it is impossible to compete with free.

I am fixing up my web site, and this info will certainly find a prominent place on the Premiere Pro page. A hack should not be necessary for much longer, I would hope.

-- Steven

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to edelf63

I have added in my GPU and done all you have said...how do i know Premier Pro is using CUDA?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to powerpigtails

I am not really sure and on the road not near that machine. Maybe someone else can tell, it has been a while and I need to see it to recall where the indicator is. I think you could also tell by the encoding speed if you had a file to compare

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to drdocb

No problem. I am on my editing PC.

The Project Settings dialog should look like this:

using cuda.png

If you don't have the CUDA choice, then you either don't have the right kind of card or you didn't hack the file properly.

By the way, I have the GTX670 which requires the hack, even though Adobe tested the GTX680.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 3:34 AM   in reply to drdocb

indeed, encoding speed of a large project is a good indicator. Also a good hardware monitor (http://openhardwaremonitor.org/) will tell you. Without cuda working GPU temp and % usage is low. With cuda it goes up!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to powerpigtails

.how do i know Premier Pro is using CUDA?

Generally you just check the setting.  If it set to that, it's on.  If it isn't, it's off.

But you can also test it by adding three or four accelerate effects to a clip.  Export it twice, once with acceleration off, and again with it on.  You'll see a marked improvement in export times with acceleration on.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 12:16 AM   in reply to edelf63

I added the Geforce to the list, would I also want to put the Intel? This is for Premiere Pro CC. Also is this something that I would want to do if I wanted to increase the performance of SpeedGrade?

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to SummumBonum000

Since the time that this thread was created last year, we have learned that it is easier to just delete the file rather than modify it. If the file is not there, the effects are not restricted to the cards listed in the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to edelf63

I used this Hack but it did not work. What happened with executing GPUSniffer is it found my GTX 660 Ti and placed the entry into the cuda_supported-cards txt file but didn't leave a space between 660 and the Ti characters. I finally changed permissions and inserted a space at that point "GeForce GTX 660 Ti" saved it. When I reselected the Project Settings in PR it showed the GPU acceleration setting.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 6:39 AM   in reply to butch032639

Like I said. It is easier to just delete the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 12:03 PM   in reply to Wil Renczes

I have a GTX 550 Ti with 729Mo found by GPUSniffer, and it's accepted for CUDA support by PPro CS5.5. It certainly accelerates playing back SD sequences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 3:27 PM   in reply to Nicholas Cole

I know a Nicholas Cole in Alpharetta, GA.  Are you him?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 2:43 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

No, I'm English, but I live in France.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)