Skip navigation

Authorizing my nook

Apr 28, 2010 7:45 PM

Latest reply: grannyweatherwax, Mar 4, 2014 7:15 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2010 5:01 PM   in reply to Kathy Barnum

I hope everyone is enjoying their Nook as much as I am enjoying mine.  Are

you all taking advantage of the free book on Friday?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 7:16 PM   in reply to tomcam18

Thanks Tom!! I followed your steps to the letter and it worked.

Now the next question, why does it put borrowed books under My Documents instead of My Library?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2010 2:32 AM   in reply to lmjd50

I am glad you finally got your Nook working. To answer your question: My Library is your B&N library of books purchased from them.  So any other books, etc. would go to your My Documents.  Also, please remember that ADE is not a B&N  product.  It is  separate program  that some libraries and other entities use to format  books  so they can be read on e-readers such as the Nook.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 6:59 AM   in reply to tomcam18

Hi tom-

You seem to be the only person who know how to do this.  Hoping you can help me.  I went through the steps you indicated a few times but am still getting the too many activations message and a bad authorization key message.  Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 7:56 AM   in reply to nina6765

Did you disable or set your firewall to allow Adobe Digital?  Adobe also says to set Internet Explorer as your default browser.  I used IE and set my firewall to allow Adobe and I was able to authorize the Nook but it shows up as media, not nook.  Didn't seem to matter which I plugged in/turned on first.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 8:29 AM   in reply to too much trouble

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am using IE but did not disable my firewall to allow ADE.  I did that and when I tried authorizing nook again, it showed a box like it was loading it but then I got the too many activations message again.

-

too much trouble <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Did you disable or set your firewall to allow Adobe Digital?  Adobe also says to set Internet Explorer as your default browser.  I used IE and set my firewall to allow Adobe and I was able to authorize the Nook but it shows up as media, not nook.  Didn't seem to matter which I plugged in/turned on first.

>

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 8:34 AM   in reply to nina6765

Sorry I don't know.  That worked for me.  The sheet from B&N said your Adobe account and B&N account had to have the same email address and password.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 11:11 AM   in reply to too much trouble

I have the same email and passwords for both too.  I guess it's just not meant for me to have an ereader.

Thanks for the help!

-

too much trouble <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Sorry I don't know.  That worked for me.  The sheet from B&N said your Adobe account and B&N account had to have the same email address and password.

>

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 12:12 PM   in reply to nina6765

Don't give up.  Have you tried your local library for hints?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 5:45 PM   in reply to tomcam18

This has been fantastic help....I was at wit's end and spent way too much time trying to authorize my nook...install, uninstall, etc. ; not much help with web chat (hard to understand anyway), B&N had no clue, just said to unstall and reinstall (again)...this site has been the most valuable and FINALLY got it authorized and through one of the blogs, how to transfer to the nook...whew!!! thanks to all with their suggestions

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 6:22 PM   in reply to sparkle city mom

I am so happy that my instructions helped you with the Nook.  Not a day goes by without someone thanking me.  I was so frustrated with my Nook that I wanted to return it, no one could help me, not Barnes and Noble store or the technical help.  My suggestion is not to buy it , but wait until they perfected it, or else buy a Kindle, that seems to be working without any problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 6:31 PM   in reply to nina6765

I am sorry but I can not help you any further.  I suggest you return the Nook to B and N and buy a Kindle, that one seems to be a great deal easier to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 7:11 PM   in reply to ungvarhungary

Yes, but the Kindle does not do everything the Nook does.  For example, you

cannot download e-books from the public library on a Kindle.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 7:24 PM   in reply to ungvarhungary

with kindle you can onley buy books from amazon,not get books from the library

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 2:50 PM   in reply to tomcam18

I did not know that Kindle does not allow you to download books from the Library.  When I had my problems

I went to the library and they had no idea how to help me download on my computer.  They advised me to go

to Barnes and Noble, who also had no idea what to do.  They are useless.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2010 12:50 PM   in reply to auntieminahz

Set your Computer to work with our eBook provider

1. Download and install Adobe Digital Editions. This software requires Flash.
    2. Open up Adobe Digital Editions. It will ask you to activate your software with an Adobe ID.

3. If you create an Adobe ID:
    a. You may download the book to more than one computer as long as the computers all
    use the same Adobe ID. (Up to 6 computers can be activated using one Adobe ID.)
    b. You can transfer your eBooks only to Nooks that are using the same Adobe ID.
    4. If you decide to continue anonymously:
    a. You will not be able to transfer eBooks to your Nook!
    b. You may only download to one computer.
    c. You can activate an Adobe ID at any time. However, you may lose the rights to see any
    eBooks that were downloaded previously.
    5. We recommend that you create an Adobe ID. Follow the steps to do so.
    6. Activate your Nook by plugging it into your computer with Adobe Digital Editions open.
    7. Adobe Digital Editions will detect your Nook and ask to activate it using the same Adobe ID as
    your copy of Adobe Digital Editions. Follow the prompts. (It may take a few minutes for Digital
    Editions to see your Nook.)

Getting your eBook on to your Nook

1. Open up Adobe Digital Editions.
    2. Plug in your Nook. If you have not previously set it up, Adobe  Digital Editions will ask to register
    your Nook using the same Adobe ID as your Digital Editions.
    3. Your Nook will appear on the left under Bookshelves.
    4. To transfer your eBook to the Nook, click on your previously  downloaded eBooks and drag them
    to the Nook icon. The book will transfer.
    5. Unplug your Nook.
    6. To find your new eBook, go to My Library.
    7. On the touch screen, scroll up until you see My Documents.
    8. Your new book will be in My Documents.
    9. Enjoy!

For more help, please view the thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/698321

Hope the step helps!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2010 6:30 PM   in reply to fritz60462

Thank you!!!!  I had the order of operations wrong and it would not work. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2010 7:29 PM   in reply to tomcam18

Thanks Tom, with your posts I figured out how to work some issues with the Literati.  Appreciate the help.

Arlene

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2010 1:45 PM   in reply to tomcam18

Thank you so much!!! I purchased nook for myself and my daughter for Christmas mainly because of the compatibility with my local library.  After several frustrating hours last night I was really regretting it.  Yours was the only advice that helped. And written in plain English to boot! Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2010 8:16 PM   in reply to tomcam18

This may have already been brought up, but i see my nook on the side pane, and all the books already on my nook, but cannot figure out how to get borders E-books on to ADE. Please help!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2010 8:49 PM   in reply to hanram1226

First you have to establish an account at Barnes and Noble by putting in your email address and select a password.  Then go to My Account at Barnes and Noble and sign in.  Next you scan books available for purchase and click on the one you wish to buy, follow instructions for check out while Nook is connected    to computer, then download to Nook.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2010 9:58 AM   in reply to tomcam18

Thank YOU!!! I could not have figured this out on my own.

Happy New Year and Happy reading!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 4:06 PM   in reply to tomcam18

Tom,

Has anyone told you lately that they love you!!!!?? I have been fighting with my nook and a library download for two days and have come close to throwing both it and my laptop into a snowbank. Thank you for your insight.  After reading your post I fixed my problem in about 2 minutes. Now unfortunately, I have to clean house and do laundry, but you made my evening much happier.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 1:39 PM   in reply to sjeanrice

Tom,

I would love to love you too.  I can't (after 6 hours) get my Samsung Galaxy (running the Nook app) to accept any books.  The one I downloaded showed up in My Documents, but it wants a password to open it.  I've tried every one I have ever set for anything in my life and it still won't open.  I can't get my computer to authorize my tablet (even though I did finally get the book over there) and then I even downloaded Overdrive, but those won't show up either.  Any suggestions??

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 2:06 PM   in reply to teacherjoan

I wish I could help you, but have no idea what to do.  You may try to erase the Nook completely from your computer and try the process all over again.  I am having my problems with the stupid Nook tech help, I bought my second book from a gift card and they keep chargining my Visa for it.  They are totally helpless and hopeless, they keep telling me they are having problems with the gift cards, but that does not help.  Each time I have to call my Visa and ask then not to accept charges from B and N.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 5:03 PM   in reply to tomcam18

Thanks Tom!!  You rock!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 7:00 PM   in reply to ungvarhungary

Another big problem with B and N Nook.  One can not buy a book and pay for

it with B and N gift card.  This problem has been going on since Xmas and tech support

has been unable to work it out.  They have been promising me for weeks to charge my

purchase to my gift card and not my credit card and they are unable to come up

with the solution.  DO NOT BUY A GIFT CARD.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 7:16 PM   in reply to ungvarhungary

Apply the gc to your account online via computer then purchase on the computer. The auto download will start to the nook. Hassle free!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 7:29 PM   in reply to tomcam18

Can someone please help me.  I have my Nook & ADE synced together.  I have a book from the Library to download (it is acsm file) and I am not sure where I need to save the file to get it to show in the ADE.  I understand that once I can see the book and it is viewable in ADE I can drag it to my Nook where I can then read it from there.  I have been trying to figure this out for 3 days and I can't get it to work.  Any help is much apprecaited!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 7:28 PM   in reply to tomcam18
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

tomcam18 wrote:

I figured it out!!  I'll explain what I know in case someone else experiences this.

I first downloaded the ADE software before I had an Adobe ID. I set up the ID when installing the software and made it the same as my nook ID. I tried the authorization process described in my initial post but nothing happened to my knowledge.  I had read somewhre you need to have an Adobe ID before downloading the software so I deleted ADE from my computer and tried again - no luck.

In my search for help I read that when ADE authorizes a nook it sets up several folders on the device.  When I looked at the folders on my nook one of the folders was already there - I assumed it came with the nook but it apparently got established when I first tried to authorize the nook.  For whatever reason as mentioned above that initial attempt did not work.

Then I decided to delete the folder (adobe.digital.edtions-not sure of exact title) from my nook and then try the process of opening the ADE software and then pluging in my nook and it worked!!  The ADE software recognized my device and authorized it.  I have since successfully transferred several books I have borrowed from the online public library to my nook.

Again just posting this in case someone else happens to make the same mistaked I did.  Hope it helps.

Tom

Thanks for your fix!

I was able to see my nook, transfer the library book, then I

couldn't open it.

I did as you said and deleted the adobe digital file from the nook, disconnected nook, opened adobe digital editions first then plugged in the nook. It recognized it asked me to authorize and now I am reading my library books

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 7:30 PM   in reply to JodiBallas

Jodi Ballas, do you have Internet Explorer?  Let me know, if you do I can help you otherwise I can not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 7:34 PM   in reply to Karene59

when you downloaded the library book file, where did you save it to?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 7:32 PM   in reply to ungvarhungary

Yes, I am using Internet Explorer.  I am usually very proficient with computers and this has me stumped!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 8:53 AM   in reply to JodiBallas

You save the book from the library on the ADE page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 8:55 AM   in reply to ungvarhungary

Hip Hip Hirray, B and N finally fixed the gift card issue, it only took them since

Dec. 25th to be able to buy books on it rather than using the credit card.  This

is reall progress.  Next time buy a Kindle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 12:58 PM   in reply to JodiBallas

our iibrary system requires me to download the book to my computer than transfer toNook.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 1:22 PM   in reply to ungvarhungary

We had a little problem the first couple of days, but that was mainly because my grandson's Nook needed to be upgraded. Once that was done, there were no more problems.    We were at the store and a very helpful associate at the Nook counter  upgraded my grandson's  Nook and then walked him through the steps needed.  One thing  - You MUST have your gift card  put in on the site and confirmed before you try to buy anything.

It did take a little longer for the site to respond , but once everything was  confirmed and the download button activated, we had no more problems.  We expected some slight delays as there were a lot of people getting Nooks  as gifts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 8:20 PM   in reply to tomcam18

Attention Jodi Ballas,

delete one of the ADE from internet explorer then reinstall and the book you borrowed will show up on there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 8:25 PM   in reply to tomcam18

Goldilocks, the problem was at B and N technical dept. with the gift cards, mine was registered,

but they were unable to put the charge on it for 3 weeks and they kept telling me to have

patience they are working on it.  I talked to them at the store as well and they told me

the same thing, there is a problem with gift cards temporarily, but they are working on it.

Finally today they fixed it.  Why on earth are they selling gift cards if they do not have the ability

to allow one to charge on it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2011 5:12 PM   in reply to tomcam18

What folder do I need to save the library book that I am trying to download in?  I have my Nook & ADE synced together and I am not sure where I need to save the file to get it to show in the ADE. The file from the library is a .acsm file too.  I have my Nook & ADE synced together.  I understand that once I can see the book and it is viewable in ADE I can drag it to my Nook where I can then read it from there.  I have been trying to figure this out for days now and I can't get it to work.  I would really appreciate any help you can provide me.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points