• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Enterprise Manager - 500 error

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2010 Dec 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed CF9 Enterprise (32bit install) on a Windows 2008 Server SP2, 32 bit server (two of them, in fact), with Web Server / IIS role installed. Installed Role Services of  Application Development (ASP.NET, ASP, CGI, ISAPI extensions/filters, SSI's) role installed . Then installed the 9.01 patch, ran the CF "Web Server Configuration Tool" for all sites (there is only the Default Web site installed). Did not install the IIS6 management extensions (since the Web Server Configuration Tool doesn't like that to be installed.

I was able to get to the Cold Fusion administrator (at http://localhost/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm ) page, and login successfully. The System Information page shows ColdFusion Enterprise version  9,0,1,274733  , with the OS of Windows Server 2008 R2 (OS Version 6.1), Adobe Driver version 4.0 (Build 0005).

This CD Administrator page does not show the Enterprise Manager menu choice on the left side. If I use an address of http://localhost/CFIDE/administrator/entman/index.cfm (after verifying those files are in the 'entman' folder), I get an HTTP Error 500.0 page. Sometimes that page will be inside the CF Adminstrator page frame, but still the 500.0 errorr. The files are in the 'physical path' as F:\inetpub\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\entman\index.cfm .

Have done massive searches on the Adobe forums here, and via other search engines, and have not found the solution. Have tried seting the Application Pool Defaults to "enable 32-bit applications' to 'true' or 'false', either setting still gets the 500.0 error on the 'entman' page.

All settings on the server are set to default values. I have done a full uninstall, reinstall of CF; a full rebuild of the server, but still the 500 error.

The "Adobe ColdFusion Server Manager" application works OK; I have installed the latest version of Adobe Air.

Am extremely puzzled as to why the Enterprise Managr cannot be run. (And a bit frustrated also.)

Ideas?

Thanks...Rick..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you installed CF, did you choose the full JRun install option or the standalone option? You need the former to use Enterprise Manager.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

http://www.figleaf.com/

http://training.figleaf.com/

Read this before you post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607238

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The intent is to have two physical servers sharing (via load balancing) a

series of pages, with session variables maintained during a session if one

server dies. So no matter which server responds to a page request,

the users' session variables are not lost if the page source comes from a

different server. So if the user gets a page from Server A, which sets some

session variables; if another page happens to come from Server B, the

session variables are not lost.

I installed the Enterprise Multiserver configuration (2nd choice in the

install dialogs) from the 64-bit install (sorry, the server OS is Server

2008 64 bit, not 32-bit as specified in the original post), using default

choices for all install dialogs, except for the location of the ColdFusion

install (set to E:\ColdFusion9) and the location of the web site pages (in

F:\inetpub\wwwroot ) (IIS is installed also on F:\inetpub). Jrun4 is

installed on E:\Jrun4 folder.

...Rick...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may also be important to note, in multiserver configuration, only the 'base' cfusion server has the enterprise feature.  Any children created with it, will not have it.

But your original post did not seem like you had gotten that far yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit confused. If you choose the multiserver install, I don't think you get asked where CF gets installed. It gets installed in the JRun subdirectory. I could be wrong, since it's been a while since I've installed CF. It might be useful for you to verify that you don't have multiple copies of CF 9 installed - do you have a "cfusion" directory in \JRun4\servers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Watts wrote:

I'm a bit confused. If you choose the multiserver install, I don't think you get asked where CF gets installed.

You 'can' choose where to install JRun4, IIRC.  So, I read the other post as they chose to set the JRun4 folder as E:\ColdFusion9, but that may have been a very poor assumption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, but the OP mentioned an install folder for both JRun and CF, which doesn't sound right to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah so he did.

Maybe this is a port problem then. And he just needs to add the right port (8300, 8500 I can never keep the two straight) to access the JRun, multi-server administrator...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responses (thanks for them)

1) when initially browsing to

http://localhost/CFIDE/administrator/entman/index.cfm, I get the CF Admin

login screen, enter password, then the 500 error for Enterprise manager

appears inside the CF Admin frame.

2) (@iIssac) http://localhost:8300/CFIDE/administrator/entman/index.cfm gives

a 404 error. http://localhost:8500/CFIDE/administrator/entman/index.cfm gives

a 'cannot display web page" eror .

3) During the install, I set the JRUN4 folder to be E:\JRun4 . There is no

JRun4 folder in the E:\ColdFusion9 folder.

4) In IIS7.5 screen, there is only the "Default Web Site". Within there, the

CFIDE folder is present (as is CFIDE\administrator\entman , etc)

5) (@Dave Watts) - there is an E:\JRun4\servers\cfusion folder. Does this

indicate multiple CF installs?

I am tempted to completely uninstall CF9 (again, including deleting all CF9

folders), and then

- start with the Enterprise MultiServer install again. (I am assuming that

one does not do the 'base' CF8 install (the 'server configuration' choice on

the Installer Configuration" dialog), then the Enterprise Multi-Server

install.)

- run the Web Server Configuration tool against all sites

- install the 9.01 patches

Is this the correct procedure?

...Rick..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, before you reinstall, you can probably correct things. It just seems you've gotten yourself into a bit of a bind. I hope the following can help you recover if you want to, or at least help you (or other readers) understand things better.

To your first point, what happens if you just go to the main page (not the entman subdirectory)? What do you see in the top left of the left navbar? It should say "Server: cfusion" if you are indeed seeing the cfusion instance (where the Enterprise Manager is found). If you see another server name there, you're viewing the CF Admin for THAT instance, not the cfusion one. And if you see no mention of a "Server:" (above the "expand all" phrase), then you are NOT viewing the CFAdmin of a multiserver instance but rather of either an Enterprise Server, or Standard, or Development deployment of CF.

It's easy for that to happen, depending on how you configure the web server (whether manually, or during installation of CF, or using the web server configuration tool). Since you're using no port in your first example, that's using port 80 which is typically responded to by an external web server (like IIS or Apache). Since you say you're using IIS, you can look at properties for the site (whatever is responding to localhost, in your case) to see how its configured to hand CFM files to CF. (Since you're on IIS 7.5, select "handler mappings" in the "content view" while selecting the site, then look for the mapping for path "*.cfm". Double click the mapping to see the value for its "executable". That indicates the directory where CF lives that it's passing requests to.)

As for your second examples, those are using the ports typically associated with the internal web server (as opposed to the external ones like IIS or Apache), which can be enabled optionally either during CF installation or afterward by changing a config file (or automatically for newly created multiserver instances). To be clear, 8300 is the typical port for the built-in web server for the cfusion instance, and 8500 is the typical port for Server/Standard deployments. The actual numbers for any given CF deployment can change, if the port is already in use at installation, or if someone picks a different one when configuring things manually.

To your point 3, I don't think anyone was saying that you had a "JRun4 folder in the E:\ColdFusion9 folder". Rather, the point being made was that there are two primary places where CF is installed, depending on the deployment option chosen. For CF Standard or Enterprise/Developer Server deployments, it's put into the \ColdFusion9 directory (for cf9). For Enterprise/Developer Multiserver deployments, it's put into \JRun4.

The fact that you have both (it seems, from your earlier note) indicates that you have implemented both kinds of deployments (to your point 5, also). That's perfectly acceptable to do. But it can cause the kind of confusion you're seeing. It may be that IIS has been configured to pass requests (for localhost) to the CF Standard/Server deployment, not your Multiserver cfusion instance. Running the web server config tool (from the multiserver deployment) and configuring it to pass the site to that cfusion instance would solve that.

Then again, you may instead want to pass the site to some new instance. You could configure it to do that instead, but then you do need a way to get to that cfusion instance. That is why Isaac suggested that the 8300 port might work. That would be the typical way to access the cfusion instance. You can look at the instance's jrun configuration file (C:\JRun4\servers\cfusion\SERVER-INF\jrun.xml) to see both whether the built-in web server is enabled and what its port is. Look for the entry:

Whatever value that is, try using that. If you change either, you need to restart the instance for them to take effect (and beware that if you make any error, the instance may not start. See the /jrun/logs directory for more information.)

As for your 4th point, it is interesting that you see the entman directory. But I just looked at a CF9 Standard deployment I have, and the directory is indeed there. We might assume it's only put there for Enterprise Multiserver deployments, but maybe not. Someone else can confirm if they see it, too. Anyway, when I try to visit it (with my Standard deployment of CF), I don't get a 500 error, but I do get a blank page. Regardless, perhaps your problem is that your localhost site is configured to pass cfm page requests to something other than a cfusion instance. That would likely be the only one where CF would respond to a request for the Enterprise Manager.

Hope some of that helps. But yes, if you removed everything and started over, I'd expect all would work as well. If you have any reason to keep what seems to be more than one deployment of CF (as some do), then I hope the info above explains both how to do it and how it can get a little crossed up.

/charlie arehart

charlie@carehart.org

Providing CF and CFBuilder troubleshooting services

at http://www.carehart.org/consulting

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THanks for the detailed reply....Here's the current status:

1) There were probably a CF Enterprise and CF Multiserver installation. So I

uninstalled all CF stuff.

- note that the Adobe Uninstall instructions are not correct. Using Control

Panel, uninstall process does not remove all CF services, nor the JRun

services, nor the CF / JRun folders. I had to use the uninstall program

located in the uninstall folder of the CF and JRun folders, then manually

delete the CF and JRun folders.

2) I then did a install of the Multiserver version only. At the end, I did

not do the 'config' choice. I then installed the 9.01 patch.

3) When the install and patch were done, I then ran the Web Server

Configuration Tool. I selected Add, then specified the Jrun Server of

'admin", checked the 'configurate web server for ColdFusion 9 applications'

box, (IIS Web site = All) then OK.

4) I repeated step 3 with the 'cfusion' JRun server.

5) The result of #3/#4 is that the Web Server Configuration shows the

localhost:admin and localhost:cfusion IIS server = All.

6) I made suer that IIS was configuration for ColdFusion (using the

instructions in the Adobe "Installing ColdFusion 9", Configurating Web

Servers in Windows, Configuring IIS in Windows (which is steps 3/4/5), then

did the "Verify your IIS Configuration"

- the application mappings (called Handler Mappings in IIS7.5) were OK for

the cfm/cfml/cfc/cfswf/cfr/jsp/jws extensions

- the Default Web Site did not have the JrunScripts virtual directory

specified, so I added that Virtural directory, pointing to

e:\jrun4\lib\wsconfig\1 folder, as per instructions (Jrun is installed in

E:\JRun4)

7) I then went to http://localhost/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm, and got an

error message "Server Error: Either the Macromedia application server(s) are

unreachable or none of them has a mapping to process this request."

8) I have double-checked that all three CF services, and the two Macromedia

services (plus the IIS Web Service) are running. I used the JRun Launcher to

verify that the 'admin' and 'cfusion' servers are both running. That tells

me that the cfusion server is running on port 8300, so

http://localhost:8300/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm , which results in a

'web page cannot be found'. The 'cfusion' log says:

12/29 16:37:23 error Requested resource 'File not found:

/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm'

(File%20not%20found%3a%20%2fCFIDE%2fadministrator%2findex.cfm) not found

....and then I quit for the day.

Hope this information helps....now I can't even get to the CF Administrator

page.

Thanks...Rick...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 30, 2010 Dec 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rickhellewell wrote:

3) ... I selected Add, then specified the Jrun Server of 'admin", checked the 'configurate web server for ColdFusion 9 applications' box, (IIS Web site = All) then OK.

4) I repeated step 3 with the 'cfusion' JRun server.

You should not have done the 'admin' server.  That is NOT a ColdFusion server.  That is the JSP - Java Server to administor the JRun server.  You can use that if you ever want to run a Java Server Pages (JSP) applicaiton with your JRun.  But very few ColdFusion developers do this, and the Admin server can safely be disabled if you don't plan to use it.

You SHOULD have only made a connection to the 'cfusion' server.  ALSO only ONE server should ever be connected to any given IIS web site.  So your current probelm is you have both the 'admin' and the 'cfusion' server trying to respond to requests and they are stomping all over each other.

IF you ever plan to have other ColdFusion servers and connecting those to specific IIS web sites, you do not want to connect the 'cfusion' server to ALL web sites otherwise you could end up in this place again where you have more then one server trying to respond to a given web site request and tripping each other up.  You should just specifiy the 'default' IIS website to connect to the 'cfusion' service if you want it to respond the localhost requests (and any other web requests that IIS can not direct to another web site by IP:Port and|or host header).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it (for lurkers, setting up only the 'cfusion' instance in the Web

Server Configuration Tool, only for the 'default web site'. I was then able

to get to the CFAdmin page (where it finished the installation), and the

Enterprise Manager menu choice is right where it should be.

Next step is to set up the clusters for failover/balancing so that sticky

sessions will work.

THanks for your help (and patience).

...Rick...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a technical clarification to ilssac's observation about the "Admin" instance.

First, it's great to see that he solved things for you, Rick. Glad to see that all resolved.

But as for that Admin instance, it's not so much that it's there for "if you ever want to run a Java Server Pages (JSP) applicaiton with your JRun." Really, any CF server since CF6 can run JSPs (and servlets).

Instead, the Admin instance is there (for Multiserver deployments) as a vestige from the days before CF 7, when there was no Instance Manager within the cfusion instance. The Admin instance is what supports the JRun Admin console (the first point ilssac was making).

To be clear, we don't NEED to use that JRun Admin console if we're happy with the features of the Instance Manager within the cfusion instance. If you don't need it, then (again, as ilssac says) you can in fact stop it (as a service) so that it doesn't take up any resources (memory, etc.) But that won't stop you being able to run JSPs/servlets. That's all I meant to clarify here. Hope that's helpful.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have two CF installs. Presumably, only one is running. If you haven't done any actual configuration of CF yet, you could simply uninstall CF and remove both directories manually. To use Enterprise Manager, reinstall CF using the multiserver option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two installs: that was my assumption also, based on previous replies. So,

as detailed in my last message (about 430pm tody MST), I

uninstalled/deleted, then installed multi-server + 9.01 patch. Did the IIS

configure, but now no access to CF Admin page. (Details are in that last

message from me in this thread).

Had to quit at that point, as snowstorm here was really affecting the

commute home. (Normal 45 minutes, today 110 minutes. Not as bad as back

East, though).

So, interested in your thoughts based on my previous message.

...Rick...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation