• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

64-bit acrobat reader plug-in?

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2010 Dec 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a 64-bit version of the acrobat reader plugin that works with the 64-bit version of IE? I am developing a 64-bit native application and I would love to be able to support PDF documents. My normal process for vieweing PDF documents is to use the IE web browser control and to navigate to the PDF document and let the acrobat reader plugin display the document. However, on 64-bits I am restricted to using the 64-bit IE browser control, and the 64-bit browser control does not like the 32-bit acrobat reader active-x plugin.

Is there a 64-bit version of the acrobat reader plugin? Is there a preferred method for viewing Adobe PDF documents from native 32-bit and 64-bit applications?

Many thanks in advance!

Miles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't produce acrobat reader anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer, but I remain somewhat confused...

I just downloaded Adobe Reader X, from the Adobe site. This download appears to be Adobe Reader version 10. Are you telling me that Adobe does not make or distribute this software?

Back to my point, this new reader does not seem to address the issue of being able to view Adobe PDF documents from within a 64-bit browser.

My question is simple. Is there a 64-bit browser plug-in that will view a PDF document from within a 64-bit version of IE?

From reading through the forums I can see many cases where people are experiencing similar if not exactly the same issue as I am having; however I do not see any posted solutions.

What is the recommended way for a 64-bit native application to view an Adobe PDF document?

Again, I ask, is there a way for an Adobe PDF document to properly open up inside of a 64-bit web browser?

If there is not a web browser solution then is there an SDK solution?

When working through the Acrobat SDK sample code, specifically with the example, BasicIacVC, I can see C\C++ OLE calls being made to "AcroExch.PDDoc". Does this mean a user of the SDK must have Acrobat Exchange installed on their desktop in order to view a PDF document? Generally, customers would rather use the Acrobat Viewer to view PDF documents, rather than to be forced into purchasing Acrobat Exchange.

Any insight or suggestions into this matter is greatly appreciated!

Miles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd was simply being needlessly pedantic. The software is called Adobe Reader, not Acrobat Reader.

Similarly, there is no longer a product called Acrobat Exchange. It is Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Standard. You can control Acrobat via IAC, but not Reader. I believe there's a sample with the Acrobt SDK that demonstrates using the ActiveX component to view a PDF in an application. But no version of Acrobat is 64-bit, and as far as I know that includes the browser plug-ins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information.

I have looked at the SDK in some detail.

I seems the SDK only works with Acrobat Exchange. In general users of a web browser will not have Acrobat Exchange installed on their computer, and so it seems the SDK is not a solution to the problem of vieweing Acrobat PDF files within a 64-bit browser. Is this correct? Or have I gone wrong with my thinking here?

I find it quite odd that we can vew Acrobat PDF files on a mobile phone, and at the same time we are not allowed to view Acrobat PDF files in a 64-bit browser. I would think it obvious the market for high end deskop users is already much larger and lucrative than the market for gadget android phone users. As an engineer, i suppose I will never understand the logic behind these types of decisions.

Is there any solution to this problem in sight? Is Adobe planning to "walk away" from 64-bit windows?

Sincerely,

Miles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably likely that a 64-bit version of Acrobat is in the future, but probably one or two major versions away. The 32-bit version works (for the most part, sometimes with workarounds) for the overwhelming majority of users, whether the OS is 64 or 32 bit, so the motivation is probably not that strong at the moment to create something that will only benefit 64-bit OS users.  Just guessing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, 

++Ading to this old thread, see this other discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-do-i-change-from-32-bit-to-64-bit/m-p/10896844?page=1#M23...

Now you can download and install the new MS Edge Browser.

It is  basically a Chrome browser with the coolest ability to install 64bit extension from the Google Playstore and other stores as well.

That said, YES you can install the Adobe Acrobat extension in MS Edge and not even worry about which browser is the default web browser anymore; with this extension enabled it allows the user to perform a single click to open a PDF from  a URL that is currently viewed in MS Edge  in Acrobat or Reader.

And this is the closest that you can get  to a 64bit Acrobat+Windows+web browser workflow in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines