• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting high-res

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export high res jpegs from lightroom, but when I do and try and upload to make a bigger print (11x14) it says resolution is too low. What settings should I use? The files are raw from the start. Do I have to use tiff files to make them high enough quality for that big if a print?

Thanks for any help.

Sarah

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your resolution setting? You may need to uncheck image resizing under Export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing to do is to tell us what settings you have made in the export section.  If you are getting an error due to resolution being too small, changing from JPEG to TIFF will not affect that.  They would both have the same resolution.

John

John G. Blair

Occidental, California

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, here is what I have set:

format: Jpeg

Quality:100

Color Space: srgb

Resize to fit is not selected

pixels per inch:350

nothing else is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your pixels per inch (ppi) is unnecessary high.

For display on a computer monitor 72 ppi, max 100 ppi is right.

For printing on your printer usually 240 ppi, or 300  ppi is right, unless you have a high-quality printer with a native resolution that is higher then select that resolution.

But besides the ppi you have also to select the size in inches - it's just left of the ppi window.

So for your print of 11 x 14 inch select that size or select 11" for "Short Edge".

You have set your quality to 100. That is fine for a print, but unnecessary high for display on a monitor. For that choose a value between 60 and 80.

BTW this value determines the compression of the jpg, the smaller the quality-number the higher the compression and the smaller the file size.

Now, having said all that, the question remains why do you export your image in order to print it?

Is there a reason that you don't just use the print module?

WW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What printing service are you using? Some downgrade the resolution during the upload process. Costco for example downscales the files if you do not manually deselect that option. The settings you describe, as long as you don't excessively crop, should result in files more than large enough for a 11x14 print. At that size a typical 12MP camera still gives 250ppi which is enough for a good print.

P.S. the ppi setting in the export panel is completely immaterial (it's unused and only written as a metadata tag in the exported jpeg) if you don't scale to a new size in inches in the export panel. Ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2011 Jan 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making CD's for customers. Maybe I am cropping too much? I didn't realize that that made a difference. Anyway I used those setting and I myself have tried to upload an 11X14 at a lab and it said the same thing as my customers lab (not sure which one she is using), that the resolution isn't big enough. so furstrating.

Is it that I cropped the image then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2011 Jan 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's probably it. When you crop, you are throwing away pixels, resulting

in a lower number of pixels in the cropped image. Dividing those pixels over

your intended print size will result in a lower print resolution then when

you never cropped. If you aggressively crop that might result in an image

that is too low resolution at the intended print size indeed. You can try

scaling up the cropped image upon export. That will result in the warning

going away but will not make the print magically sharper. Your customer

might not see it though as most people who are not photographers are quite

insensitive to print sharpness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines