Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe REFUSES to upgrade CS5 Acrobat Professional 9 users to Acrobat X

Nov 23, 2010 5:29 AM

Adobe REFUSES to upgrade CS5 Acrobat Professional 9 users to Acrobat X

That's Right! Adobes recent upgrade to Acrobat X is a real "X" for Adobe CS5 customers.  There is no upgrade path according to the support line.  Support line conversation included below.

Yovan Thank you for choosing Adobe. A representative will be with you shortly. Your estimated wait time is 0 minute(s) and 3 second(s) or longer as there are 1 customer(s) in line ahead of you.

You are now chatting with Yovan.

Yovan: Hello. Welcome to Adobe Customer Service.

Jason : Hi Yovan.

Yovan: Hi Jason.

Yovan: As I understand you want to purchase upgrade, Am I correct?

Jason : I just purchased 2 CS5 upgrades. 1 for mac and 1 for PC for my printing/graphics department and now Acrobat X comes out. I am wondering if there is a free upgrade for those that just purchased the suites.

Yovan: Thank you for confirming.

Yovan: Just to keep you informed, Acrobat X upgrade is possible from single Acrobat 9 product.

Yovan: Since you have CS5 suite product you will not be able to upgrade to Acrobat X.

Yovan: To know more information on purchase, I will provide you with the link to contact sales team.

Yovan: Please click here.

Jason : That doesn't sound very fair Yovan. We just bought CS5 less than 30 days ago which is inclusive of a version of Adobe Acrobat Pro 9. Adobe upgrades within this time and we (customers) are just supposed to accept that with a smile?

Yovan: I truly understand your concern.

Yovan: Since you have CS5 suite product It is not applicable to upgrade to Acrobat X.

Jason : Can you give me more information on that Yovan. The anwser is a bit lacking. CS5's Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 CANNOT be upgraded through any means? Is that what you are saying?

Yovan: I'll be right with you.

Yovan: 1. Upgrade for Acrobat X is possible, if customer has point product Acrobat.

Yovan: 2. If customer have Acrobat along with the suite product, then it is not possible to upgrade.

Yovan: 3. Point to point product is available, suite to point is not available.

Jason : So If I bought Adobe Acrobat Pro X upgrade it would not upgrade the the Acrobat Pro 9? Simple yes or no will suffice and let my company decide which way to go. We have 7 computers with Adobe Suites.

Yovan: Sorry to inform you that you will not be able to upgrade from,Acrobat Pro 9 CS5 to Adobe Acrobat Pro X.

Jason : Thanks. I will post this to the forums so others can learn. You have been very helpful

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2010 6:41 AM   in reply to hard copy

This is a User to User forum and rarely if ever do any Adobe employees visit these forums.

I'd recommend three actions.

1. See if you can find someone up the ladder from whom you spoke.
    2. Post an exact carbon copy of your post to the Adobe  Feedback Forum.While it's still User to User it will let others what to look out for.
    3. another disgruntled customer has created a Facebook page to air Adobe's dirty secrets (complaints) in a public venue. I've heard customers are getting results as Adobe doesn't like millions of Readers in Facebook treating customers shabby.

Personally I think all Adobe employees in Tech support regardless if they are from headquarters in the USA or from India (where most support people are from) should be forced to read the forums with mandatory dismissal and be required give necessary answers to customers.  It won't happen, but that's what I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 7:47 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

The relationship between Acrobat and Creative Suite updates has been explained in detail, both on the product FAQ and by ACPs on the forums. It's no different to how it has always been.

All Adobe product lines have independant release schedules, Creative Suite and Acrobat included. Sometimes CS updates first, sometimes Acrobat. Where a bundled product is upgraded outside of CS, it is *not* automatically included in pushed AIM updates to all customers, nor added to the SKU for new customers.

Instead, the updated product will be incorporated into the NEXT dot release of Creative Suite, which is due out soon. Customers who have an upgrade subscription plan for Creative Suite will be notified of the download automatically, and all other customers can purchase the update in the usual way. There will of course be discounts available based on your purchase history, but we cannot give any details of prices until the dot release is announced.

Customers who purchase Acrobat as a standalone item (the "point product" mentioned in your support transcript) are eligible for upgrades at reduced or zero cost depending on their purchase history.

The Acrobat 9 product bundled with Creative Suite 5 can be uninstalled and a purchased copy of Acrobat X Pro installed in its place - CS will not notice the difference - the only thing that you cannot do is apply an in-place upgrade based on a free AIM patch.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2010 8:41 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

> Instead, the updated product will be incorporated into the NEXT dot release of Creative Suite, which is due out soon.

Soon?

Anything more specific?

To me, "soon" means "less than 4-6 weeks" ...

AM

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2010 6:21 AM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion

"Soon" means "soon". Not your "soon", but Adobe "soon". Many many many many ducks to line up, not just Acrobat X.

Some details were outlined in October under NDA, but you know better than to ask for a date   We'd both be hunted down, shot, interrogated, shot again, forced to watch NomNom for an hour, threatened with soft cushions, and then probably shot.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2010 7:25 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

:-) Of course, Dave.

It's just that I think calling the release of the next CS5.X dot release "soon" is too soon. There is no announcement. It's not imminent. I would not hold my breath.

Compare this for when Acro 9 came out in June 2008. CS3.3 (which included Acro 9 upgrade and I think Fireworks) was available almost immediately, as I recall. But Acro 9 had many great new features and improved features for CS users.

Other than easier and more flexible portfolio skinning, I can't see any compelling must-have feature in Acro X for CS5 users. (Compared to, say, someone who spends most of their time in MS Office for Windows... tons of new/improved there.)

Acro 9 is able to open *any* PDF created by Acro X, I believe ... yes?  So no worries.

AM

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 12:07 PM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion

I think it's completely awesome that Ms Concepcion is responding here. I love you on lynda.com and think you're a gift to the community! Seriously.

However, I just have to post that I am so disappointed in Adobe. The fact that I can buy an upgrade to APX and it will work perfectly and without flaw with my CS5 Master Collection tells me there are no technical hurdles, no bugs with CS5 from which Adobe is protecting us. Unless I'm missing something, this means Adobe is preventing CS5 users from upgrading purely through fiat.

Now, I suspect that other apps are not yet able to save to the APX file format, and that's fine, since people who buy the stand-alone apps have the same issue.

I just think we should be able to upgrade now, and if there's a higher cost to upgrading the suites, then let us buy APX now and pay for the additional cost to upgrade when the suites are upgraded. It doesn't seem fair to put suite owners at a disadvantage, at least on the Windows side (don't get me started <grin>). I think that's what they did with the 3.3 version, Ms Concepcion, because I recall it fairly vividly. In fact, that's why I'm so surprised they're not doing it again. (If it blew up in their face for some reason, if it turned out poorly, they should share that so we understand.)

Now, it helps to read your report that there are no real compelling reasons to upgrade (that's kind of sad), but I still feel it's the principle of the thing.

Cheers to Ms C, but boos to Adobe. :-)

Respectfully,

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 11:49 AM   in reply to hard copy

Think it is an installer error.

This happened to me last night on a paid upgrade to Acrobat Pro X from Acrobat Pro 9.  I eventually was able to upgrade from Acrobat 9 Pro CS5 to Acrobat X. However, an Adobe Support agent had to give me a special unlock code.

Unless you are talking about a free upgrade, I  don't think it  is  accurate to state that Acrobat 9/CS5 Professional is not eligible for the upgrade to Acrobat X. The option just does not appear (it should) in the pulldown menu for qualifying previous products when activitating Acrobat X after the installation. Acrobat Standard versions 7, 8, and 9 all qualify, and they were much less expensive than Acrobat Professional 9.  But then we jump to Acrobat Pro Extended 9. (No option in the pulldown menu for Acrobat Professional 9).

I think it is just a slip in their engineering. Or I would not have eventually been allowed to upgrade. Why would Adobe let you upgrade from a cheaper model of Acrobat but not the ful freight one? They would not be so fatuous as to sell a product that didn't work.

A support agent named "Sunder" had me hold down a special set of modifier keys when we got to the part about entering the serial number from the previous version, -- I think it was "CTRL Shift" and a window appeared with a "Challenge Code" of five digits. I reported the challenge code in the Chat window to Sunder, and he gave me a different five-digit Challenge Code. Once I entered it, Acrobat X successfully registered.  Guess what? I get to do it again on my desktop tonight. Oh, joy! And that's just for Windows.

I also have a license on the Mac to update, but think I will wait to see if Adobe fixes the updater.

The updater to Acrobat X warns you not about leaving previous versions on. Click Ignore. And be ready to go to the chat window. If the Support Agent tries to tell you it doesn't qualify, ask about the Challenge Code. And be sure you have your serial numbers handy for both Acrobat 9 and Acrobat X.

This is not the first issue with a qualifying upgrade product from Adobe. I had to go through the same rigamarole back in I think 2003 or 2004 when I upgraded from PageMaker to InDesign CS2.

Message was edited by: Electroscribe1109

Message was edited by: Electroscribe1109

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 12:25 PM   in reply to Electroscribe1109

Trying to keep the confusion over product nicknames to the minimum, there is no such thing as "Acrobat 9 CS5". The Acrobat software bundled with CS5 is exactly the same as the standalone product in form and function, it's only the top-level installer that's different.

The Creative Suite applications which interface with Acrobat will not care if it's installed from the CS5 DVD, or from a retail copy bought separately. All PDF export from programs such as InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop etc. use their own self-contained PDF engines; not Acrobat or Distiller - which is why some of Acrobat's inbuilt features such as PDF/A are not available from the export menus of InDesign and co.

As to the ongoing upgrade question...

If you have a standalone copy of Adobe Acrobat 9, purchased as a discrete product with or without a discount applied due to previous purchases, then you can purchase an upgrade to Acrobat X Standard or Pro at reduced cost compared to the full retail price (free if your Acrobat 9 purchase was very recent).

If you have a copy of one of the Creative Suite 5 bundles that included Acrobat Professional 9, you do *not* qualify for a discount on the standalone product, and Adobe gives the following two options at this time:

1) Wait until the CS5.5 dot release and purchase that as an in-place upgrade, which will include Acrobat X Pro in replacement to Acrobat 9 Pro.

2) Purchase a retail copy of Acrobat X (Pro or Std) at full price and install it as a new product. Your existing CS5 applications will recognize it.

In every case you MUST uninstall the previous copy of Acrobat (wherever it came from), though you can choose to leave the activation keys on the system if you don't need them elsewhere. Two versions of Acrobat cannot safely co-exist - if you force the installer to ignore the removal of previous versions, one or both of them will fail to work properly and may not be repairable without a complete re-install.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 6:53 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

I apprececiate that, and a chat with the sales staff explained why you can't just "break apart" suites. I also did fully

uninstall Acrobat 9.

It is unfortunate that potential customers don't see this on the Sales site for Acrobat X at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat.html

It only lists qualifying versions and does not stipulate that Acrobat 9 purchased as part of the Creative Suite does not qualify for the upgrade price. Addobe needs to add this language to its sales web site to keep more people from getting frustrated. I mean once I have purchased software and open the shrink wrap, it can't be sent back.

Otherwise, I would have waited until this Creative Suite 5.5 incremental upgrade becomes available. I will certainly do this for my license on the Macintosh side of my operation.  The price for the incremental upgrade --at least in my  experience purchasing them in the past -- has been about the same as the upgrade price of Acrobat (as compared to the standalone price).

So on that pull-down menu over on the sales side listing qualifying products, it should not be that hard to add a line indicating that the upgrade price applies to stand-alone licenses for Acrobat only. We could start a long debate over whether people should have to buy Acrobat as a separate product from the Creative Suite, but that would only generate controversy and spoil the good will that you have provided with your thorough explanation.

Acrobat X is a very cool upgrade and is worth waiting for. I especially like being able to create my own set of tools for quick use.

Thank you and good evening.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 8:01 PM   in reply to Electroscribe1109

<SNIP>The Creative Suite applications which interface with Acrobat will not  care if it's installed from the CS5 DVD, or from a retail copy bought  separately. All PDF export from programs such as InDesign, Illustrator,  Photoshop etc. use their own self-contained PDF engines; not Acrobat or  Distiller - which is why some of Acrobat's inbuilt features such as  PDF/A are not available from the export menus of InDesign and co.</SNIP>

In my own work, I generate PDFs from InDesign CS5 using its Export PDF tool.  I then edit the PDFs in Acrobat Professional and apply features to  make both high quality grayscale print versions -- and separate --  web-optimized PDFs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 8:10 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

The Creative Suite applications which interface with Acrobat will not care if it's installed from the CS5 DVD, or from a retail copy bought separately.

Just to be clear, Adobe Acrobat Pro has always been a separate product. Adobe bundles Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 with Adobe CS5 Master Collection. If you have a volume license and a maintenance agreement (TLP/CLP?), you will eventually get new discs. My guess is Adobe CS5.1 Master Collection will be bundled with Adobe Acrobat Pro X. Maintenance agreement holders will get new discs for both.

Don Montalvo

Dallas, Texas

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 8:36 AM   in reply to Don Montalvo

The issue is the lag time between the release of the stand-alone version and the availability to upgrade at the upgrade price for those with suites (or inability to qualify for the stand-alone upgrade if you own a suite).

Adobe allowed a partial upgrade in the past when the Production Suite (Premiere and After Effects) were delayed. Users could could upgrade to one of the other suites and then upgrade to the Master Collection paying only the difference between the MC and the suite to which they upgraded while waiting.

It's just my opinion, but I think that's what Adobe should allow here as well. Upgrade to the stand-alone app (at least download), and pay any additional fee (if any—$10 for shipping discs, for example) for upgrading the MC to CS5.5 (or whatever) when it's available.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2010 8:49 AM   in reply to keithdvo

I vaguely remember (I purchased it, so should more clearly remember) an intermediate upgrade in Adobe Creative Suite which included Acrobat 8.

I think it was between Creative Suite 2 and Creative Suite 3.

I own CS5 Adobe Design Premium for the Macintosh and CS5 Standard for Windows (I run Windows 7 and "Snow Leopard"OS 10.6 on my Macs), and have updated CS versions for the past six years.

I had not heard  that Adobe restructuring itsCreative Suite so that only the Master Collections include Acrobat. Once again, the details need to be included in the Sales web pages that promote the products.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 9:35 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Noticed that Adobe offered me a special price on Creative Suite 5 until January, 2011 (this was at work, which uses CS4). Don't know if that is an indication of a possible incremental upgrade after that or not and know better than to ask, but will hold off on attempting to upgrade my Mac licenses for Acro 9 until then.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 12:30 PM   in reply to hard copy

I asked specifically this question when I called to upgrade from CS3 to CS5 Design Premium.  I was told by customer support that CS5 Suite customers would get a free upgrade if they purchased their suite after Acrobat X was introduced.  I am installing my CS5 DP right now.  Its funny that Acrobat 9 is not included in the suite.  It comes on a separate disk, so how can it be a part of any CS5 Suites?  It comes with its own serial number.

JB

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 12:55 PM   in reply to jbfaulconer

It's a bundle. :)

If you bought CS5 after Acrobat Pro X was released, you should be able to get the upgrade to X for free.

Don

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 2:03 PM   in reply to Don Montalvo

Well guess what!  Just installed the CS DP suite and called customer service like i was told to about upgrading to Acrobat X.  Now they are refusing.  What a bunch of liars.  I didn't want to believe all I have been reading about unfair practices, but now I do.  Absolutely unbelievable. They lied about the upgrade to Acrobat just to get me to buy the suite when I called.  It cost me $799 but it cost them a client that has spent thousands of dollars with them over a $169.00 upgrade.  I have had it with Adobe, its seems to be all about money and that is usually the downfall for most companies.  Just think of the money they would be making if they let others upgrade to individual programs.  Ok thats my rant……..wow this is some good software…

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 1:16 AM   in reply to jbfaulconer

I presume they are refusing to upgrade you now - which is perfectly correct. Qualifying CS5 customers get a free or discounted CS5 DOT RELEASE upgrade (depending on their circumstances), not an upgrade of the point product (Acrobat). As the CS5 dot release is still being prepared, you have to wait like everyone else. This policy is made very clear on the Acrobat Pro FAQ page and hopefully explained in the post I made at the top of this thread : Acrobat bought as a single product is NOT treated the same as Acrobat bought within a Creative Suite bundle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 6:03 AM   in reply to Don Montalvo

According to Adobe people that buy Design Premium now.  'will not be able to

upgrade to Acrobat X.  Such unfair trade policies......plus they flat out

lied to me.  Me and Mr. Adobe will be looking for other options

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 6:11 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Yes Dave,  that is exactely what they are doing.  But they are doing it in a

sneaky way.  I call Customer Service and ask them if we will get a free

upgrade now that Acrobat X is out.  I was told right to my face that all

suite ownersthat buy after Acrobat X

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2011 12:29 PM   in reply to jbfaulconer

Acrobat X is out now and you still don't get it with any edition of CS5 including the Master Collection. That's still true even if you already own Acrobat 9. It's really a very dysfunctional upgrade policy / strategy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2011 7:18 PM   in reply to Andrew 3.14

There is nothing dysfunctional about Adobe's upgrade policy. It appears pretty calculated.

The question is whether the calculations are correct. I myself could offer a weather prediction about what will freeze over before I go out and pay $400 for Acrobat X after paying full freight for CS5 for Windows and sinking thousands of dollars into Adobe's Mac applications over the years.

Microsoft Office has a save as PDF feature, InDesign makes PDFs  (even if, as Adobe claims, they are not full fallutin PDFs) and except for not being able  to customize toolbars and its clunky forms tools, Acrobat 9 Pro is not  too shabby, either. Plus using 9, you don't have to learn a new  interface. Finally, found I can save changes to PDFs using Apple Preview.

So take your time, Adobe. We have other things to do with our hard-earned money.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2011 9:15 PM   in reply to Electroscribe1109

Sadly, if you have Acrobat for Windows, you can also create a PDF from MS Word for Windows with the links intact, but it appears one cannot do this from Word itself, or at all on the Mac.

I'm working with a customer I worked for years ago—back when Is till uses Windows—and this time, after updating the documentation, I had to create all the Chapter > page # links manually. That took a while! As I understand it, MS blames Adobe and Adobe blames MS. I just wish I could preserve the links using Word 2011.

Now, I have to decide whether or not I want to upgrade an old Windows Acrobat license (I have about four) to Acrobat X Suite for Windows, which at least allows me to convert the links and get LiveCycle and Captivate, or continue to insert links by hand (forever) and continue waiting this ridiculous length of time to upgrade. Though…from what Ms Concepcion says, there's little reason to upgrade the Mac version short of portfolio skins, which if true, makes me wonder if I should even bother upgrading at all. Adobe sure seems in no hurry or need for my upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2011 7:53 AM   in reply to keithdvo

keithdvo wrote:

Sadly, if you have Acrobat for Windows, you can also create a PDF from MS Word for Windows with the links intact, but it appears one cannot do this from Word itself, or at all on the Mac.

I'm working with a customer I worked for years ago—back when Is till uses Windows—and this time, after updating the documentation, I had to create all the Chapter > page # links manually. That took a while! As I understand it, MS blames Adobe and Adobe blames MS. I just wish I could preserve the links using Word 2011.

Now, I have to decide whether or not I want to upgrade an old Windows Acrobat license (I have about four) to Acrobat X Suite for Windows, which at least allows me to convert the links and get LiveCycle and Captivate, or continue to insert links by hand (forever) and continue waiting this ridiculous length of time to upgrade. Though…from what Ms Concepcion says, there's little reason to upgrade the Mac version short of portfolio skins, which if true, makes me wonder if I should even bother upgrading at all. Adobe sure seems in no hurry or need for my upgrade.

This is a known problem. And is solely the responsibility of Adobe and they refuse to fix the problem, rather theu falsely lay blame on MS and Office for Mac. You can take the same File created on a Mac, take to a PC open (just opening file in PC Office does not magically add anything) then create a PDF in PC Acrobat will have the links intact.

They have been laying this trip on Apple and MS for 15 years. Now with Office2011 for Mac (a direct port of Office2007/2010 for PC) there is now no excuse. It’s the same code.

It’s a shame some of the programmers for Acrobat (adobe) don't read these forums. Adobe needs to sit down with folks from MS and fix this problem. Its an issue of Adobe, not MS, not Apple.  I think what it it is just plain lazziness and ignorance.

And as for Acrobat 9 being CS5 you might be better off.  I can get buttons to show and work in Acrobat 9,  &^%# if can in Acrobat 10.  If Acrobat 9 comes with the DreamWeaver CS5 package I just ordered I am going back to it. So things show up they way I want them. I can't get buttons to show up in any gecko based browsers. and they don't work as they should in webkit browsers. instead of opening directly up, a console comes up and you have to push play.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 6:18 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

If  Microsoft's main revenue stream comes from its Windows side products, why  would they want their Office for Mac to be truly compatible. The post  itself suggests buying a license for the Windows version of an Adobe  product. Microsoft wins. Don't let them.

There is an alternative. And it is free. Neooffice, a truly open source application, exports pdfs with hyperlinks. And the links work when opening the PDF in Reader (opening in full Acrobat is not a good test, since most end users only have Reader).

www.neoffice.org

Neooffice can be easily configured to save all documents as Word .doc files

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 7:20 AM   in reply to Electroscribe1109

Also  another free version is OpenOffice for Mac.

I also have though paid for because they are reasonably Priced:

Nisus Writer Pro
    Mellel
    (By the way all of these handle any language that uses Right to Left format)

I also have which is no longer being developed but works in OSX.6.6
    AbiWord

In 2011 Office they have ported the code of PC 2007 and 2010  except for items that simply don't work on a Mac such as Active-X.

The problem with page and section breaks breaking up into separate PDF  is Acrobat 's Problem.

You can take word document with links created in MS Office Mac to a PC  and open (just opening a Document adds nothing), the create a PDF with acrobat and the links are there. The responsibility lies solely with Adobe. If anyone from Adobe were to talk straight faced to any of the engineer of MS or even the MacBU (Mac business unit) they would all roll around on the floor laughing. If they were to say the Mac version doesn't have the "proper hooks." It’s a Red Herring.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points