Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

tooltips: Now you see 'em, now you don't...

Jan 5, 2011 9:27 PM

Can't figure out why sometimes the tooltips display and other times not at all.

Anybody else?

Rob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2011 8:52 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

One thing to check is that the window has focus -- in general on Windows, tooltips only display when a window has focus, and that seems to be true of the SDK as well.  On Windows Vista and 7, the default "aero" user interface doesn't make it that easy to tell whether a window has focus.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 5:39 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I haven't provided tooltips on my plugins, so I don't have any long-term experience.  I modified one to have tooltips on an "edit_field" and a "static_text", and the tooltip consistently appeared across about 6 invocations and lots of clicking around, changing window focus, etc.  Not exactly strong evidence either way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 9:46 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

I had an issue creating dynamic tooltips via LrView.bind, statically assigned tooltips seem to work fine.

Has anyone been able to create tooltips using bound properties?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 3:03 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob, it never worked. Tooltips only appear if the value is assigned statically when the view is initialized. Any attempt to bind a property resulted in tooltips never coming up. In a desperate attempt to research into this, I even assigned a transform function, which recorded its invocations in the log file. According to the log file, the transform function works fine, however the returned text string remained invisible - the tooltip never activates. Crazy stuff!

But wait, are you saying you can't make even static tooltips to show up?

PS: Anyway, I am going to report this to Adobe since I am running the latest version (3.3).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2011 2:07 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I've done some further research on this. Dynamic tooltips definitely work on buttons. However, on viewFactory:picture controls they stop working once the bound property has been modified. The bug has been reported to Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to Vladimir Vinogradsky

As a data point for anyone else stumbling on this thread, I was having problems today with my dynamic tooltip on a push_button until

1. I made sure the button was "visible" at view creation, and
    2. the button remained "visible" (but perhaps disabled) for the life of the view.

If I didn't follow those "rules", the tooltip would either fail to show, or stop showing.  But, like Rob noted, the tootip behavior on push_buttons appears flaky -- I don't know if I stumbled on a recipe for success, or just got lucky. 

BTW, I'm running on a Windows box with LR 3.6.

-Don

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points