Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Mind Looking At My Build?

Jan 7, 2011 1:35 PM

First, some idea of my usage: I currently use C2D laptops to edit. I am a student that wants a good machine to allow me to do freelance work and work on my own projects, focusing on the content and not having to deal with....slow everything.

I deal with DV, standard definition, so I know my build will handle that with ease. I do intend to do some HD stuff, again, likely HDV, and my intention is to get maybe a 5D to do video work. I'm looking to do music videos, so I'll be working with AE. I've seen online what the Mercury engine does and I would really like to handle HD footage from DSLRs and be able to scrub through them as though they were SD clips, so I'm looking to do HD editing and have a smooth experience. I'll also be doing some gaming, but I guess that is really secondary. Any advice on this build would be great, and I still need a decent monitor ~$300 if anyone could suggest!

EVGA GeForce GTX470 1280 MB DDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card 012-P3-1470-AR

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 Desktop Processor

Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 Hyper 212 Plus 775/1156/1366/AMD/AM2/AM3 Universal Direct Contact Heat-Pipe 120mm Fan CPU Cooler

Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition DDR3 12 GB (3 x 4 GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz 8-9-8-24 for Intel Core i7 PV7312G1600LLK

Cooler Master RC-922M-KKN1-GP HAF 922M ATX Mid Tower Case (Black)

OCZ OCZ600MXSP ModXStream Pro 600 Watt Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive (WD1002FAEX)

Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Black SATA 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD2001FASS

Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Black SATA 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD2001FASS

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit System Builder 1pk

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

Asus LGA 1366 Intel X58 Extreme Reliability and Durability ATX Motherboard Sabertooth X58

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2011 1:55 PM   in reply to literally_figurative

Apart from the mid tower, which I would exchange for a big tower, like the HAF 932, everything looks dandy. You have done your homework.

One point of criticism: Your PSU at 600 W is rather weak. I would go for at least a 750 W or possibly a 850 W model.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 1:58 PM   in reply to literally_figurative

Monitor, I forgot to mention that in my previous post:

Have a look at the Samsung SyncMaster F2380 PVA screen. Much better than a TN screen, not quite up to IPS, but the price is right.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 2:02 PM   in reply to literally_figurative

I agree with Harm about the case. I got talked into a very nice, cool (thermally) mid-tower last time, and regretted that. Full-tower, like I wanted, next time.

On a system not that much different than yours (older CPU, but more HDD's and a Quadro FX 4500) I went with a 1000W PSU, and will probably be going with 1200W for the new build. Probably overkill, but then I came from an engineering background, where if an 8" WF beam would just do the job, a 10" WF beam would be better...

Looks good,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 2:34 PM   in reply to literally_figurative

HSOA:

Take your pick

Home Solutions of America, http://www.bnet.com/company/home+solutions+of+america+inc.

Hospital Salaried Officers Association, http://www.health.wa.gov.au/services/detail.cfm?Unit_ID=2284

or

Harm's Stamp of Approval 

To get an idea where your machine will come out in the PPBM5 Benchmark pay special attention to Crist and MadDog OC/PC, although his system is heavily overclocked. A score around 270 seconds certainly seems likely, around Q3/Med.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 3:50 PM   in reply to literally_figurative

If you want to work in HD, you might also swap out the DVD burner for a Blu-ray burner.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 1:14 AM   in reply to literally_figurative

A couple of points if I may to make the most of your spend....

Firstly please make sure your understand the scalability restrictions (primarily memory) from going with the Home Premium Windows - as a student, you should get discount so no real need to compromise here (as RAM is currently at a record low price you could but or at least provide for 24GB depending on which other memory-hungry CS5 packages you use!).

Second, the 950 (and 920/930) has an almost-guaranteed overclock to 4.0Ghz, matching up with your memory nicely at 1528 if you choose 21x 191 or so without taking risks with voltages or heat (12GB at full rated speed sometimes gets a little temperamental regarding QPI volts so a little under 1600 is no bad thing). I have found that going above 4.0Ghz, each 5% tends to "cost" a disproportionate increase in volts and heat.

Similarly, the GTX470 has a comfortable 20% free (except for heat) overclock potential (using MSI afterburner plus VERY careful testing for artifacts).

I would perform both of these (free) clocks given your desire for buttery HD performance in the CPU-intensive and MPE-assisted steps of your workflow.

Please also allow some thought and budget for effective & quiet case cooling to deal with the CPU and graphics card heat:

Install the PSU "outside" the case - i.e. at the bottom with its intake facing down and exhausing out the back so its not "in" the case airflow.

Add fans (good quality and with filters on the intake ones) taking air in at the front/bottom (past the disks) and exhausting at the top/back. Consider adding side fan(s) pointed at the graphics card and motherboard bridges/RAM. These side fans can cyt 10 degress C or more off the temp of these components adding to stability and component life.

My own overclocked 930-on-Asus and 470 setup uses fractal fans on the case (about £5 each/1Watt or so) and Gentle Typhoon fans on the CPU cooler - almost silent and keeps both the (overclocked) graphics and (overclocked) CPU at about 70 degress C when at 100% busy.

Finally budget for backup.....my case has Esata on the front panel so quick backup to external drives, used in rotation and placed in a firesafe is my ritual.....your freelance income will be based on reputation so don't lose it along with your work.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 1:39 AM   in reply to literally_figurative

Steve's remark made me aware that I overlooked one thing.

You have wisely decided to go for 3 x 4 GB memory, leaving room for expansion to 24 GB at a later date. However Win7 Home Premium does not support more than 16 GB max. You need Win7 Pro for 24 GB support. Better change this OS to the Pro version before you start installing it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 4:32 AM   in reply to literally_figurative

I just completed my build using the CM 932 HAF-X case and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it is with all the fans running. The case is very well built but the manual is worthless if your a NOOB at building, like me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 5:10 AM   in reply to literally_figurative

It is a full case. It stands 25" tall with the casters installed, which gives the PSU some breathing room out the bottom. Great airflow. Port placement is fine. This case is very well built, but I don't have experience with other cases like this. I do like the black interior and the fact I can organize and hide the cables. Finished assembly looks neat and tidy.

I have the same CPU cooler as you listed, but with an additional CM fan for a push / pull set up. Probably overkill for me. Also using the same GTX 470 from EVGA. Works fine. not noisy.

This is one of Harms favorite tools...

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Plug in your info and see what it recommends for a PSU.

I have a total of 7 HD's, 470 GTX, 5 fans, etc and I needed a 1000w PSU

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 2:10 PM   in reply to literally_figurative

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I notice that hard drives, particularly internal hard drives are a lot more expensive than they were 1-2 years ago; does anyone know why? http://luloot.com

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points