• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player won't load

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Vista 32 bit and IE 8.  Until yesterday, I have had no issues with Flash Player.  Yesterday, however, games I play on Shockwave were telling me to download the flash player.  I have, MANY times, to no avail.  I have used the Uninstaller, rebooting my computer each time.  I downloaded the flash player from the distribution site (a suggestion in another thread) and rebooted my computer, to no avail.  I don't see evidence of the program on my computer or as an add-on, if I am supposed to see it there.  Can someone please help me?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sounds like you did the right things. However, after downloading the Installer from the distribution site, did you Install it?

Did you download it to your Desktop? There is a procedure to follow, when Uninstalling and Installing Flash Player, so maybe you just missed a step or two.

You must use the Administrator Account also and I assume you did, but just wanted to remind you.

I'll find the links for you and post back and you can try again and follow the procedure.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Following are the instructions for you. Be sure to follow them. Print them out if you like.

Hi, thanks. Try this: Download and SAVE the Uninstaller to your Desktop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Then go to this site and Download and SAVE the Installer to your Desktop:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html  You will use the Windows-Internet Explorer- Download EXE Installer

Once you have those on your Desktop, Close all browsers, you only want to be looking at your Desktop.

Disable messenger services in the system tray, whether you use them or not. They are still active & use Flash.

RUN the Uninstaller and when it is finished, Reboot(restart) your computer.

RUN the Installer and when it is finished, Reboot your computer.

Go here to test and let me know if you see the Flash logo animate(spin) and what version of Flash Player is displayed.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Then go to Tools, Manage addons and look under "Show", all addons or Run without Permission & find Shockwave Flash Object.

Make sure it is Enabled and the version is the same version of Flash Player that was displayed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb   adding link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb,

Thank you for your very helpful reply.  I had actually found these instructions for someone using Windows 7 and followed them exactly, downloading from the same places your links took me to.  I did reboot in between the uninstall and the install and after, as well.  I closed down everything in my tray, including my AVG protection.  When I go to check my Flash version, there is no logo.  Only a box with the red X in the left corner.  When I go to my Internet addons, the only Shockwave I have listed is Shockwave ActiveX Control.  I am at my wits' end!  My computer has been rebooted more this weekend than in the 2 yrs I've had it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Will be back in a few minutes.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile, can you list the files you have in folder C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so when you followed the instructions for the Win7, were they the same as what I gave you?

When looking for the Shockwave Flash Object, did you go to "Show" and check in "All addons" and or "Run without Permission"? That is where it is listed for IE8.

If you don't have that then that means there is some reason that it wasn't Installed. Did you receive any error messages when Installing?

Did you use the Administrator Account when Uninstalling/Installing? Only an Administrator has permission to Install that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2011 Jan 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they were the same.  I downloaded the uninstall and install program from the same places your links sent me.  I uninstalled and rebooted.  Installed and rebooted.  I am the administrator on my computer, so I am able to install and uninstall.  There were no error messages received.  I checked all addons and run without permission - Shockwave Flash Object is not listed.

Here is what is listed under C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash:

Flash101.ocx                         Activex Control

Flashinstall                            Text Document

Flashutil101_ActiveX.dll          Application Extension

Flashutil101_ActiveX               Application

Since it seems that Flash IS installed, just not being accessed by IE - I wonder - would it be worth it to try and reinstall IE?  Possibly something has happened that the two programs are not working together for some reason?

Thank you again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, You have the correct files in your Flash folder, but for some reason the Shockwave Flash Object did not Install. Since you are the Administrator and used that Account, we can rule that out as a reason.

On reinstalling IE, I wouldn't advise that. As you recall until Jan 8, you weren't having any issues. Then a website advised you to Install Flash Player. I'm assuming you had Flash Player Installed prior to that and it was working. Due to that I don't think IE is the problem.

When you were advised from that website to Install Flash Player, did you already have the latest FP (10.1.102.64) Installed?

When you disabled AVG, did you disable the LinkScanner? With AVG, the components need to be disabled separately. LinkScanner monitors the browser and can conflict with an Install. The main Anti-Virus part (Resident Shield) normally doesn't interfere. The 3 addons of AVG in the browser, I usually advise disabling when Uninstalling and Installing Flash Player.

In Programs & Features do you have a DLM(download manager) and or a getplus entry? Also do you have any getplus, get_atlcom Class or a DLM Control in any of the Manage addon categories?

You have Shockwave Player also, as you have the Shockwave Player ActiveX Control in your addons. I want to check a couple of things regarding Shockwave Player and will get back to you on that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly don't know if I had the latest version of FP or not.  I doubt it, but if I received an "update" message from Adobe, I would have updated.

I did not disable LInkScanner separately.  I will try that now and will also disable the AVG add-ons.

I do not have DLM; however, does the Adobe DLM get installed on my computer permanently?  That is how I first tried to install FP.  I don't have any getplus, get_atlcom Class or a DLM Control in my addons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. If you try again, follow my instructions but when you get ready to Uninstall and Install, right click and choose "Run as Administrator" It seems this is peculiar to Vista OS.

Here is the info on AVG in case you need it:

Resident Shield

Open AVG User Interface. (Right Click to Open)
Double-click on the Resident Shield.
Un-tick the option Resident Shield active.

Save the changes.

LinkScanner

Open AVG User Interface.(Right Click to Open)
Double-click on the LinkScanner.
Un-tick the option Enable AVG Search-Shield and Enable Active Surf-Shield.

Save the changes.

Add Ons  Disable:

AVG SafeSearch 
AVG Security Toolbar

AVG Security Toolbar BHO

On the DLM, if you don't have any of the addons and it is not listed in Programs & Features then you are ok. DLM causes problems, that is why I mentioned it.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb   Adding an additional AVG addon to be disabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no go.

I disabled AVG exactly as you indicated (differently than I had originally) and disabled the three AVG add-ons.  I uninstalled FP, rebooted computer, installed (right clicking so I could run as Administrator), and rebooted computer.  I still get the box with the X in the left corner when I check to see my FP version.

Should I disable my Shockwave ActiveX (I also have Unity Webplayer) and try again?  I also noticed that I have multiple copies of the same Microsoft add-on (same versions, same date and time).  Don't know that this has anything to do with my issue, but just thought it strange.    I will try disabling these and try again now as I have to get to sleep shortly for my overnight shift tonight.

Well, just tried it again with Shockwave ActiveX and Unity Webplayer disabled.  Still didn't work.  Just for the heck of it, I went to the download area where Adobe downloads using Adobe DLM.  It still didn't work; but, now I have a folder called NOS that has the getplus files you were asking about.  I didn't see those earlier, but won't say they weren't there as I had originally tried to install FP using Adobe DLM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry that didn't work. I wouldn't try again at this time. Go ahead and get some rest for your work schedule and I'll post after checking out a couple of things. I have errands to run today and then get back to you.

There has been some discussion on Shockwave Player and Flash Player conflicting, but in the way each is Installed. I want to further check that out. This happened just recently with another user. I had heard this before, but didn't follow up on it.

I don't think you have multiple addons of Microsoft, it is the way IE8 lists the same addon in different categories. For example, if you had Shockwave Flash Object Installed, it would be listed under Show in "All addons" and also "Run without Permission" category. It is still only ONE addon.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for continuing the "investigation".  My multiple Microsoft add-ons only show up when I show "Run without permission".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, That red X would indicate that the Shockwave Flash Object is not Installed, which has been the problem. It is the FP Control and must be Installed. Something is preventing that and so we are trying to find out what.

The DLM is a downloader, but has nothing to do with Installing the above Control if something is preventing it. That and those add ons & the NOS can complicate matters, but right now I'm more interested in what is preventing the Control.

Post back your Flash files and let's make sure what the status is now.

Since this problem happened when using Shockwave Player, check in Programs & Features and let me know what version it is.

It makes me think that perhaps the website that you received that message from updated their Shockwave Player and somehow something happened.

There is a program that can be used to correct Permissions & Registry issues, but you haven't received any messages about needing Permissions or that the ActiveX Control can't be Registered. So I don't think it would work for you since the FP Installer didn't detect that.

So post back the Flash files that are now Installed and let me know what version that Shockwave Player is. Do you have Shockwave Flash Object in All addons or Run without Permission of ANY version?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Just reply whenever you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2011 Jan 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe read my post "SOLUTION ..." in this forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jippy13, You can perform any action on your own computer. Advising users on the Flash forum to follow your thread is not wise. What you suggest is very risky and is not a solution at all. What you posted is NOT a safe procedure and I would even go so far as to say anyone following them would have more problems.

If that was a "solution", Adobe would have posted it!!

eidnolb

I will be advising each thread that you have posted on of this also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Eidnolb...Thought I'd answer your last post quickly before I have to run back to the job tonight.

My Flash files are the same as previously, but all have been updated as of 1/10/11 @ 4:37 - the last time I tried to install FP.

I cannot find Shockwave Player to find the version; but, I downloaded an update at the same time I tried to download FP.  At that time, I used the Adobe DLM.  My Shockwave ActiveX is version 11.5.9.615.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok thanks. Will check further.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saw the post from JoyDeep.....sounded like my exact issue; so, I went to the link www.windowsxp.mvps.org/noflash.htm.  Found that I, too, had a code blocking FP in my RegEdit.  Deleted the key and it works GREAT!

Thank you for all of your hard work!  It is greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I think JoyDeep Ray needs a Gold Star  I responded to that thread. Glad you saw it, as I am just trying to respond to all of the threads I'm working on!! So I hadn't gotten to you yet, glad you saw it. Isn't that something? I read all of the links and articles from that link.

My concern is how this is being done? Virus/Spyware would be my first guess. I think the time line would be informative, i.e. When did you Install Flash Player, which version? What websites were used prior to this issue?

Now you posted your thread on 1/9/11 and said:

I am using Vista 32 bit and IE 8.  Until yesterday, I have had no issues with Flash Player.  Yesterday, however, games I play on Shockwave were telling me to download the flash player.  I have, MANY times, to no avail.  I have used the Uninstaller, rebooting my computer .....

You have a great time line as a game told you to download Flash Player. And you were using Shockwave(not sure if you mean the Shockwave Player or Flash Player). This is suspicious in itself, since why would you receive that kind of a notice when you were using Flash Player and playing the game???

If you can remember which website you were on and which game told you that, it would be helpful. I think with some additional information, it should be reported to Adobe and let them investigate the games and websites.

Let me know if you have any info regarding that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JoyDeep Ray DEFINITELY deserves a gold star!  Days and days of frustration, solved in minutes.  Have to admit I was petrified to get into the RegEdit, though.  But between the post and link I was able to find the exact line to delete.  Yippee!

I play a couple of card games (Solitaire and Spider Solitaire) on shockwave.com.  Have played for years without any issue at all.  On the 8th, instead of loading the games, I received the message that I needed to download FP.  I, too, wonder about a virus/spyware issue. However, I have not been notified by AVG that anything is going on there and I scan each morning (I use the free version of AVG).  Something happened between the morning of the 7th and the evening of the 8th to block my FP.

Let me know if I can provide any other info that might be helpful; and, again, thank you so much for all of your hard work!  I don't have issues often; but, when I do, they are doozies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes I feel the same way about the Registry, LOL  I really think this was a virus or some type of malware. Someone could have been hacking the website too, since you have never had any problem with the site and games in all of that time. Is that website an interactive one? Sounds like it. If so then I would suspect another user.

Here is what I would do if I were you. I would go to www.malwarebytes.com and download the free version to your Desktop.

It won't conflict with AVG since you run it on demand from your Desktop. I have it on both of my computers. It has a clean user interface, everything is on the site when you open it. Scans, Updates, etc. If they find anything, they know how to get rid of it!!

Did I mention fast? LOL

Once you have it on your Desktop, I would close all browsers, disable all of AVG. If you need to know how to disable all of the components, let me know. It's not enough to just disable the Resident Shield. Then I would run a full scan with MBAM(malwarebytes) If they find anything, they will give you choices in what to do. A log is automatically made for you also.

After that is finished, I would re-enable all of AVG and run a full scan with it.

Thanks for your help with this. Oh, thanks for marking your thread as answered as well. I have bookmarked the "Kill-bit" thread and yours. Already referred another user to the one with the link.

If anything else comes up, I'll let you know.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran it.  I had two instances of rogue.fixtool and removed those.  However, my lovely husband finally felt it safe enough, now that the computer is fixed, to tell me that he accidentally downloaded the AV8 virus.  When the screen popped up telling him we were infected, he saw the AV and thought it was AVG.  When he realized what he had done, he got someone to help him clean it off of the computer. 

I would guess that AV8 probably did this damage; but, will keep Malwarebytes since AVG didn't pick up the rogue.fixtool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning, Glad you used MBAM since they found some other malware. I would contact the website/games and let them know about AV8 also. You don't have to detail how you recovered, just put them on notice you got this from their website. Also I would advise AVG also that they did not detect it.

Here is a link that Avast has that shows the Virus/Spyware and worse activity:

http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history

Hopefully you won't have any more trouble, but if so Avast has a free online scanner if you know the file:

http://onlinescan.avast.com/

Sometimes because I am online so much, if I have any suspicion of a site I've been on, I will stop and close down all windows and run MBAM. I have MSE(Microsoft Security Essentials) also which is a free Anti-Virus/Spyware program. It's light on resources and what I like about it is that it has no addons in my browser. It does not have a Firewall so I just use Windows FW.

You may like to have this on hand to use. This is Microsoft's free PC Safety Scan. I would not use the Registry Cleaner though, it is even cautioned against in their forum.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

I have a lot of AV/Spyware links and info bookmarked as you can tell, LOL

Thanks for the update!!

Stay safe out there in the "jungle"

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines