Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects CS5 Mac says "Quicktime is not installed on this system, some components...

May 2, 2010 11:34 AM

the error message is "QuickTime is not installed on this system, some components will not work correctly."

AfterEffectsQuicktimeWarning.jpg

And when I open After Effects CS5 on MacPro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 16GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 running 10.6.3, it is basically not functionaly, because it will not open any quicktime movies without an error message.

Quicktime is installed on this mac.

I have run permissions and run diskwarrior, and it has not solved this problem.

Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2010 1:28 PM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

When you say "QuickTime is  installed", what do you mean? QuickTime X, QuickTime 7.4? QuickTime 7.6?  Details lilke this are helpful for troubleshooting.

I recommend  installing QuickTime 7, which is an optional installation for Snow  Leopard (Mac OSX v10.6.x). QuickTime X doesn't provide a lot of features  that video professionals need and rely on; QuickTime 7 does.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 6:24 PM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

I don't recommend deleting the entire preferences folder. Just one file at a time if you think that it's causing problems.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 6:58 AM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

Thanks for your persistence Jonah, your solution worked for me as well. Whatever the cause Adobe better get this sorted now that CS5 is out in the wild.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 6:42 AM   in reply to mograph_bc

I'm getting the same error on a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.3.  I tried deleting all of my Adobe preferences, but no luck.  I then tried creating a new user account....still no luck.  I have both QuickTime X and QuickTime 7 installed on my machine.  This is really frustrating and disappointing; I hope Adobe is able to remedy this bug soon.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 7:26 AM   in reply to marspyramid

You should use the uninstaller in the After Effects folder and check the box to remove preferences. Then reinstall.

I agree, too many of us are seeing this installer bug, its frustrating and annoying. It should have been discovered and eliminated before the product shipped.

There's another thread on this subject with another solution here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629350?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 2:46 AM   in reply to mograph_bc

this worked for me

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 6:44 AM   in reply to mackeyberlin1

There are a few things that cause After Effects to report that QuickTime is not installed.

One  is the obvious one: If  QuickTime 7.x is not installed, After Effects will report that QuickTime  is not installed.

The next most common reason is  quite different: The TCP communication with the QuickTime server is  blocked, so After Effects thinks that QuickTime isn't there at all. The  fix for this to remove the blockage in communication. Sometimes the  blockage is because of an aggressive firewall program, which sees the  TCP communication and stops it. If this is the case, then you can either  turn the firewall software off or specifically allow the QT32 Server  component to communicate; instructions for letting a specific process  communicate are different for each firewall program, so you'll have to  look in the documentation for your security software for information  about doing that. Here's a document with some more information about  this general issue, though it refers to a more serious failure when the  blockage happens at a different step in the After Effects startup  process: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html

Another  reason is that QuickTime can fail to initialize fully because it gets  stuck loading a badly written importer component. If you have any AVI  importers/codecs on your Mac, this could be the issue. Here's a message  that goes into some detail about that: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2808379#2808379

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 7:16 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I have the rule for AE in LittleSnitch modified and now start AE correctly.

action: allow
    process: After Effects
    destination: local-net-IPv4
    port: any
    protocol: any
    help: itself _ activate.wip4.adobe would

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 5:24 AM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

This morning I decided to try pulling out the entire Adobe Preferences folder, User:Preferences:Adobe

EXECLLENT, work for me on MacBook, OSX 10.6.6, CS5 Mater Collections all Apps latest versions :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 10:19 PM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

I solve this problem. In my case the problem was OPEN FIRE SERVER connected to that I use MSN in ICHAT.  Simply disable OPEN FIRE SERVER and try again open AE.

Bye

ae_error.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 9:20 AM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

thank you to jonah_lee! i had exactly the same problem and your solution worked for me as well. i'm on a quadcore macpro running 10.6.8 and after effects cs5 (10.0.2). i love adobe products but the bloatware aspect is out of control!

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

I've been bashing my head against this issue for a while as well: OSX 10.6.8 - Xeon Quad - 10Gb RAM - Kernal booting 32-bit. I had tried all solutions I could find on all Adobe forum threads includuing, delete prefs, disable firewall, new user account, permission, re-install CS5, re-install OSX (which worked for a short period - before I set everything up again).

I've tracked the issue down on my box to a conflict with a 3rd party application "Advanced Web Ranking" - Verison 8.9 at time of writing. This has 3 processes running for scheduled tasks - awrserver, awsscheduler and awswork I killed all 3 before loading After Effects CS5 and it worked instantly both Adobe QT32 Server and dynamiclinkmanager started without issue. 

EDIT: Further investigation shows its only awrserver that causes the isssue, the other two can run without a problem.

EDIT2: There is a server config for AWR which lets you change port it uses, default is 7777 - once my scheduled tasks are back to normal tomorrow I will try experimenting see if changing to 7778 fixes the conflict.

My symtoms where QuickTime not installed and You have at least one output module template that refeers to a missing output plug-in error. Neither Adobe QT32 Server nor dynamiclinkmanager processes were running which will be the reson for the errors.

I've also contacted the people who make the software to let them know of the conflict (I'm going to be running on a different box for now).

Message was edited by: patrick@m4

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to patrick@m4

Thanks, Patrick. I saw a similar problem with FileMaker's web services blocking the TCP port.

Note that this has gotten better with later versions of our software, in that the assignment of ports is more dynamic and therefore it's less likely that the needed communication channel will get blocked by other software.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to patrick@m4

patrick@m4 is a BOSS!

I've been dealing with this problem for over a year now. Here's one of my posts from February 2011 (zack_morris)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4322801

This "quicktime is not installed" has been driving me crazy, my only recourse this year was to run AE exclusively on a dedicated machine, because I just couldn't figure out what was causing it. Apparently I was looking in all the wrong places (Video software, video codecs, preferences, etc.). It was the damn process from Advanced Web Ranking crashing my dynamiclinkmanager on AE bootup and resulting in the "Quicktime is not installed" error.

I've replicated this a bunch of times today. List all processes via terminal, if the awrserver process is there, AE will throw up a "quicktime is not installed" error. Once I kill the process, AE can boot up normally.

Probably also why this particular situation isn't common, I'm guessing most people aren't running AWR *and* AE on their machines. Really hoping this is the last I'll have to deal with that frustrating error :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

For others out there:

I just fixed this problem by installing an earlier version of QuickTime.  I downloaded 7.7.3 from Apple's website, and that threw the error.  Then I tried 7.7.1 from a backup HDD and no more errors!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 6:56 AM   in reply to Stone_Swan

Thanks a bunch Stone_Swan, this worked for me as well!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points