• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CS5 Mac says "Quicktime is not installed on this system, some components...

Engaged ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the error message is "QuickTime is not installed on this system, some components will not work correctly."

AfterEffectsQuicktimeWarning.jpg

And when I open After Effects CS5 on MacPro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 16GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 running 10.6.3, it is basically not functionaly, because it will not open any quicktime movies without an error message.

Quicktime is installed on this mac.

I have run permissions and run diskwarrior, and it has not solved this problem.

Any ideas?

- Jonah Lee Walker
Video Editor, Colorist, Motion Graphics Artist

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "QuickTime is  installed", what do you mean? QuickTime X, QuickTime 7.4? QuickTime 7.6?  Details lilke this are helpful for troubleshooting.

I recommend  installing QuickTime 7, which is an optional installation for Snow  Leopard (Mac OSX v10.6.x). QuickTime X doesn't provide a lot of features  that video professionals need and rely on; QuickTime 7 does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean both Quicktime X and Quicktime Player 7.6.6 are installed.

And when I created a new user account and start up in that it works fine, but that is not an acceptable solution. And this user account is on a new machine and was started fresh not 6 months ago.

- Jonah Lee Walker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been looking at this thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/2779527#2779527 of the same issue.

And am getting the same as This from that thread:

After Effects took 4 minutes to launch showing "Initializing Media  Core", then reported that QT was not installed, then reporting that  Output Modules are missing

I don't get the cannot write the XML after deleted the whole folder for 10 in preferences.

I tried uninstalling some stuff to see if it helped. This was Perian, Application Enhancer and Growl, but that dit not do anything.

- Jonah Lee Walker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recommend deleting the entire preferences folder. Just one file at a time if you think that it's causing problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was strange, I got the message about a file in the preferences, but there were no files there, even when I used the terminal to look, the files did not exist, so I am wondering if their was some strange preference issue going on.

I also went through, and tried cleaning out my user library a bit, and tried unistalling all the user preference panes, which did not help at all, so I assume that is not the problem, nor was it perian or even Application Enhancer, which are all installed for all users, so then the new user would not work without them.

- Jonah Lee Walker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a conflict with some Adobe Preference files.

This morning I decided to try pulling out the entire Adobe Preferences folder, User:Preferences:Adobe and just put back Adobe:After Effects, and After Effects CS5 booted perfectly. It boots quickly and I don't even get the dynamiclinkmanager crash that I have been getting.

And I it seems to have created a new folder in my new Adobe folder, the Adobe QT32server:1.0:TraceDatabase.txt and the dynamiclinkmananger:2.0:memorybalancers5.xml was created this time as well. I then quit after effects, and put back all the other preference files into that folder, though not replacing any of the new versions that were created, and once again After Effect boots and works.

So that was the issue.

- Jonah Lee Walker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your persistence Jonah, your solution worked for me as well. Whatever the cause Adobe better get this sorted now that CS5 is out in the wild.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same error on a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.3.  I tried deleting all of my Adobe preferences, but no luck.  I then tried creating a new user account....still no luck.  I have both QuickTime X and QuickTime 7 installed on my machine.  This is really frustrating and disappointing; I hope Adobe is able to remedy this bug soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should use the uninstaller in the After Effects folder and check the box to remove preferences. Then reinstall.

I agree, too many of us are seeing this installer bug, its frustrating and annoying. It should have been discovered and eliminated before the product shipped.

There's another thread on this subject with another solution here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629350?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few things that cause After Effects to report that QuickTime is not installed.

One  is the obvious one: If  QuickTime 7.x is not installed, After Effects will report that QuickTime  is not installed.

The next most common reason is  quite different: The TCP communication with the QuickTime server is  blocked, so After Effects thinks that QuickTime isn't there at all. The  fix for this to remove the blockage in communication. Sometimes the  blockage is because of an aggressive firewall program, which sees the  TCP communication and stops it. If this is the case, then you can either  turn the firewall software off or specifically allow the QT32 Server  component to communicate; instructions for letting a specific process  communicate are different for each firewall program, so you'll have to  look in the documentation for your security software for information  about doing that. Here's a document with some more information about  this general issue, though it refers to a more serious failure when the  blockage happens at a different step in the After Effects startup  process: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html

Another  reason is that QuickTime can fail to initialize fully because it gets  stuck loading a badly written importer component. If you have any AVI  importers/codecs on your Mac, this could be the issue. Here's a message  that goes into some detail about that: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2808379#2808379

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the rule for AE in LittleSnitch modified and now start AE correctly.

action: allow
process: After Effects
destination: local-net-IPv4
port: any
protocol: any
help: itself _ activate.wip4.adobe would

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning I decided to try pulling out the entire Adobe Preferences folder, User:Preferences:Adobe

EXECLLENT, work for me on MacBook, OSX 10.6.6, CS5 Mater Collections all Apps latest versions 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you to jonah_lee! i had exactly the same problem and your solution worked for me as well. i'm on a quadcore macpro running 10.6.8 and after effects cs5 (10.0.2). i love adobe products but the bloatware aspect is out of control!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well played mate you save me there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solve this problem. In my case the problem was OPEN FIRE SERVER connected to that I use MSN in ICHAT.  Simply disable OPEN FIRE SERVER and try again open AE.

Bye

ae_error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been bashing my head against this issue for a while as well: OSX 10.6.8 - Xeon Quad - 10Gb RAM - Kernal booting 32-bit. I had tried all solutions I could find on all Adobe forum threads includuing, delete prefs, disable firewall, new user account, permission, re-install CS5, re-install OSX (which worked for a short period - before I set everything up again).

I've tracked the issue down on my box to a conflict with a 3rd party application "Advanced Web Ranking" - Verison 8.9 at time of writing. This has 3 processes running for scheduled tasks - awrserver, awsscheduler and awswork I killed all 3 before loading After Effects CS5 and it worked instantly both Adobe QT32 Server and dynamiclinkmanager started without issue. 

EDIT: Further investigation shows its only awrserver that causes the isssue, the other two can run without a problem.

EDIT2: There is a server config for AWR which lets you change port it uses, default is 7777 - once my scheduled tasks are back to normal tomorrow I will try experimenting see if changing to 7778 fixes the conflict.

My symtoms where QuickTime not installed and You have at least one output module template that refeers to a missing output plug-in error. Neither Adobe QT32 Server nor dynamiclinkmanager processes were running which will be the reson for the errors.

I've also contacted the people who make the software to let them know of the conflict (I'm going to be running on a different box for now).

Message was edited by: patrick@m4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Patrick. I saw a similar problem with FileMaker's web services blocking the TCP port.

Note that this has gotten better with later versions of our software, in that the assignment of ports is more dynamic and therefore it's less likely that the needed communication channel will get blocked by other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

patrick@m4 is a BOSS!

I've been dealing with this problem for over a year now. Here's one of my posts from February 2011 (zack_morris)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4322801

This "quicktime is not installed" has been driving me crazy, my only recourse this year was to run AE exclusively on a dedicated machine, because I just couldn't figure out what was causing it. Apparently I was looking in all the wrong places (Video software, video codecs, preferences, etc.). It was the damn process from Advanced Web Ranking crashing my dynamiclinkmanager on AE bootup and resulting in the "Quicktime is not installed" error.

I've replicated this a bunch of times today. List all processes via terminal, if the awrserver process is there, AE will throw up a "quicktime is not installed" error. Once I kill the process, AE can boot up normally.

Probably also why this particular situation isn't common, I'm guessing most people aren't running AWR *and* AE on their machines. Really hoping this is the last I'll have to deal with that frustrating error 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For others out there:

I just fixed this problem by installing an earlier version of QuickTime.  I downloaded 7.7.3 from Apple's website, and that threw the error.  Then I tried 7.7.1 from a backup HDD and no more errors!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2013 Dec 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bunch Stone_Swan, this worked for me as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me, unfortunately. I've tried every single thing in the Troubleshooting Quicktime Errors blogpost to no avail. Still pops up with the "Quicktime is not installed" even though I can open up the Quicktime Player, look at the DLLs, etc... I've got the Windows Firewall completely disabled, no other software on this machine but AE. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave@Vehicle wrote:

Didn't work for me, unfortunately. I've tried every single thing in the Troubleshooting Quicktime Errors blogpost to no avail. Still pops up with the "Quicktime is not installed" even though I can open up the Quicktime Player, look at the DLLs, etc... I've got the Windows Firewall completely disabled, no other software on this machine but AE. So frustrating.

What version of QuickTime do you have installed?

What version number of the Windows OS are you using?

What is the exact version number of AE (down to the last decimal)?

When did this problem first occur?

Has AE worked on this computer before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines