• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I have to install Flash Player every time I start my computer?

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2011 Jan 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 7 and  IE8 32-bit.  Every time I start my computer and try to display some web video, it will ask me to up grade my flash player.  After I re-install Flash Player from Adobe site, video will show with no problems.  If I restart my computer again, the same thing will happen.  Have to install Flash Player again to watch on line video.  I checked control panel and the Flash Player is there and the following files are in the Flash folder under:

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

Flash64_10_2_161.ocx

Flashinstall.log

FlashUtil64_10_2_161_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil64_10_2_161_ActiveX.exe

Any help rendered will be very much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2011 Jan 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you restart your computer, can you see the Flash animation at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ ?

Also, is the Shockwave Flash object enabled in IE8 add-ons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the web-site is asking for my permission to install Adobe Flash Player.

Can you tell me where to look for the Shockwave Flash object in IE8, I did not

see it under 'Manage add-ons'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it appears you have the Flash Player beta Installed. I don't know of any websites that support it. I know Hulu doesn't.

Go to Tools, Manage addons and under "Show"(very light text) look in All addons or Run without Permission. That is where the Shockwave Flash Object is listed and must be enabled and the same version as the FP you have Installed.

Hope that helps,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks eidnolb for your info. 

The Flash Player is not a beta.  It is the stable version posted on Adobe's

download page.  It will work if I open IE8 and install it, but it won't work if

I restart my computer without reinstalling it.

The Shockwave Flash Object under 'Manage addons' is enabled  after I reinstalled

Flash Player, but its not there after I restarted my computer.

Still waiting for a solution, please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. Are you sure about that? I just checked yesterday!! LOL

Here is the link to Install FP and it is still the latest released version 10.1.102.64:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Here is the other site that does have the 10.2, but if you read down it says it is a "pre-release", with the latest version of 10.2.152.  This was issued Jan 11, 2011

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Both of these "lab" links state that this is a "pre-release" I don't know when the 2nd "lab" link was issued. I wish they would date them.

I really think this is the issue you are having.

Adobe has the "Square" version out for the 64bit and are also working on this 10.2 version which when comes out will be an update to the 10.2.102.64 and it is confusing.

Let me know what you think after reading that info.

I stay busy here, so it wouldn't be the first time I'm a day or two behind:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!  The version I installed is 10.1.102.64.  No mistake about it!!  I

will not install a pre-release version software in my computer as I had bad

experience before.  I had to reinstall all my programs!!!!!  Ha Ha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, This is what confused me from your previous post:

Flash64_10_2_161.ocx

Flashinstall.log

FlashUtil64_10_2_161_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil64_10_2_161_ActiveX.exe

I wonder why the version listed there is not 10.1.102.64, which is the latest released version of FP?

What is that then that is Installed in your Flash files? Please clarify as I have never seen that.

Let me ask you, do you have a 64bit system? What you listed in System32/Flash is not making sense to me.

Betas are not for me either, I have enough problems. I worked with someone that had the FP beta AND the IE9 beta!! Talk about a glutton for punishment, LOL Especially considering FP works thru the browser, Ha-Ha No way.........

Let me know,

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,  Sorry I forgot that I have a 64-bit Windows 7 and I installed a

64-bit Flash Player to work with IE8(64 bit).  Those file names were from

c:\windows\sysWOW64.

I just uninstalled both the 64-bit Flash Player, and the 32-bit Flash Player,

restarted my computer, disabled my Kaspersky anti virus software and ran the

Flash Player installation program as an administrator.  After installation,

Flash Player worked fine, but after I restarted my computer, it doesn't work

anymore.  The following Flash Player files are still in the

C:\windows\sysWOW64\Macromed\Flash folder:

Flash10l.ocx

Flashinstall.log

FlashUtil10l_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil10l_ActiveX.exe

Control Panel still shows the Adobe Flash Player 10 Active X Version 10.1.102.64

installed.

Any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for clearing up the mystery. Sadly it has gotten worse  However hopefully it can be corrected. What has happened is that your Flash files for the 32bit browser have been Installed into the folder for the 64bit. You now have 32bit files AND the 64bit files in the same folder. Not good.

I don't know any other way than an Uninstall of Flash Player to correct this. However, this time be sure to check the 64bit folder and make sure ALL files are removed before Installing, the 64bit and the 32bit.

Now and this is important. Make sure that when you Install the FP vs 10.1.102.64 you use the 32bit browser!!

I would Install the latest vs of FP with the 32bit browser first and when that is done. Check your 32system Flash folder to make sure they are Installed there and check the IE addon for the Shockwave Flash Object and make sure it is there and enabled.

THEN, I would Install the 64bit FP using the 64bit browser and then do the same checking.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I already did what you suggested.  Before I reinstall the Flash Player, I

make sure everything was uninstalled and that there were no Flash Player files

in either the 32-bit or the 64-bit folder.  I was using the 32-bit browser for

installation but the Flash Player files were still installed into the 64-bit

folder.  I couldn't find any Flash Player files in the 32-bit folder.  Also I

did not install the 64-bit Flash Player just in case they are fighting with each

other. 

Thanks for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ok. So right now we just have the 32bit FP files Installed but they are in the 64bit FP folder, correct?

No 64bit FP files are Installed at the moment.

Now in your IE8 browser, what version of Shockwave Flash Object is Installed? I'm assuming it is the 10.1.102.64 when you use the 32bit browser.

Is Flash Player working  when you use the 32bit browser?

What I am wondering is if a user has the 64bit FP and the 32bit FP Installed, does it make a difference if they are all in the 64bit FP folder? Actually, the choice of the browser should work either way.

I know before Adobe came out with the 64bit FP that when a user had to use the 32bit browser to Install FP on a 64bit system, those 32bit FP files would be in the sysWOW64 folder.

Perhaps this is the way it is supposed to be? I haven't had this situation except one other time and can't remember how it was solved. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Perhaps the bottom line is if all Flash files(32bit & 64bit) are correct and each Shockwave Flash Object is Installed and Enabled.

Thanks,

eidnolb

I wish Adobe would have explained that. I may look at the 64bit FP Troubleshooting Guide and see if it has that info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, yeah.  Everything seems to be in the right order but it just won't work

out.  I don't have any other way other than installing the FP everytime I boot

up my computer.  If you can find something, please let me know.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, We know the Flash files for the 64bit and 32bit are correct. The Shockwave Flash Object versions are important since these are the Controls for Flash Player. What version is the the Manage addons and if enabled?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2011 Jan 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, The Shockwave Flash Object version is 10.1.102.64 and is enabled when the

Flash Player is working.  It vanishes after I restarted the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. This would be when you are using the 32bit browser, correct? What version is listed when using the 64bit browser?

Also, in Tools, Internet Options, do you have the Security set to Medium for the Internet Zone? If not, do so. I don't know if this is an issue or not, but that is needed to view Flash Content.

I'm late getting on the forum today, so haven't had time to search for that other thread that had this issue with the locations of the FP 32bit/64bit. Will try to do that as soon as I catch up on my email notifications:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, It appears the Search Forums Feature is not working properly. I did search many email notifications but couldn't find that thread.

I did find this site which you may want to review, especially near the end about how the IE shortcut is listed in the Start Menu.

Whether this has anything to do with it or not I don't know.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83715.html

Will post some other info later.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2011 Jan 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this be another "kill-bit" problem?  See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/776078

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I scanned my laptop with Malwarebytes but it found nothing.

Gr. Kleppie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kleppie58, glad you scanned with MBAM. However, it is better if you started your own thread/discussion so we can see what your problem is. When you do, state your computer info along with browser(s) & versions. Also describe the problem you are having. Then we'll need certain info from you.

This thread is unusual, since it involves 2 different versions of Flash Player. It will get difficult trying to help you while trying to work on this thread.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the exact same problem over here. I am trying to solve it for two weeks now, it's driving me crazy!

Also windows 7

Allready removed firewall/ antivirus (Gdata)

uninstalled and installed for more then 100 times.

Tried the 10.2 version and the 10.1 version.

nothing seems to help, hope you find an answer..

Kleppie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kleppie58,

I am glad that I am not the only one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eleungus1, I reviewed the FP Square info yesterday along with the FP 10.2 beta. The files you listed as Installed in the SysWOW64 folder: vs 10.2.161.23 is the FP Square for the 64bit browser and yes it is in beta. This is a RC (pre-release)  This version is 10.2.161.23 . Adobe just released Preview 3 on Nov 30, 2010.

Now Adobe also have a beta, which is FP vs 10.2.152. Each one of these betas when they are ready will be released. Then they are referred to as "Shipped versions" or "Released versions" http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Most betas will have a special Uninstaller.

Now when you look at this article page down to the section of "Uninstallation". I would use the Uninstall instruction for the 64bit that you have Installed.  http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_square.html Now you will also notice that there is an Uninstaller for the 32bit browser here. I don't know why that is listed, since Square is for the 64bit. However, since you have 32bit Flash files in the SysWOW64 folder, perhaps this is needed. Anyway I would use both of those Uninstallers and then use your 32bit browser to Install FP 10.1.102.64. Let me know on this, if we can get those files out of the SysWOW64 folder by doing this. Then we'll see about the 64bit browser.

Adobe have Square vs 10.2.161.23 which is in beta for the 64bit browsers.

Adobe have vs 10.2.152 which is in beta for 32bit browsers. Date 1/11/11

The Shipped or Released version of Flash Player is vs 10.1.102.64, the most current FP that is Installed now.

I think the confusion arises due to the terminology used.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions or comments.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2011 Jan 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,  thanks for all the info.  I have decided to quit using my 64-bit

browser so I am not going to worry about the 64-bit FP.  I have used the MBAM

program to scan my registry for the kill-bit, but its not there.  I have also

manually went into the registry to look for the kill bit entry, but is not

there.  Is there any other places I can look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2011 Jan 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, You are most likely on information overload:-) I sort of stay that way!! Giving a user the reasoning behind Flash Player seems to help them if they understand what they have Installed and various issues. Every new release of software or browsers are in beta until they are released as a shipped version. IE9 has been in beta for quite a few months and users that want to volunteer and developers test and retest, bugs worked out, etc until Microsoft is ready to launch the stable/shipped/final released version. Same with Flash Player.

On the Kill-bit, this involves just the key for the Flash Player Shockwave Flash Object. If you don't see a Sub-key for it, then you don't need to worry. This kill-bit would block the Install of that ActiveX Control. MBAM would most likely have found it, since their scan goes into the Registry.

Now, where are we on the status of the Flash files for FP vs 10.1.102.64? Are those files still in the SysWOW64 folder? If so, when using the 32bit browser for IE, is it working? Are you having the restarting issue?

Have you tested IE at the Adobe test site?

Let me know. Perhaps once we get the IE/32 FP files working, you can see about the 64bit, if you want. Keeping in mind that until it comes out of beta, there will be bugs and it will be unstable.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines