• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator can't find new font

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use a new font I just downloaded online. When I try to use the font it doesn't show up in the selection. I looked and the font is located in my user > me > library > fonts folder but still won't find it. I even tried to put it in Macintosh HD > Library > Fonts with also no luck. I tried this with multiple fonts to see if I have the same issue...sure enough, I did.

These are .ttf files.

It's funny because all the Adobe programs refuse it but programs like TextEdit, and Font Book seem to find it fine.

Any help?

System: Mac OS X Version 10.6.2

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you do not have any other font management program remove the font fro where you placed them.

The open Font Book. Select All Fonts.

The drag the folder or individual fonts into the middle window of Font Book where the fonts are listed and let go.

The fonts will be added and Ilustrator will be able to read them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dragged the font into the All Fonts tab...still Illustrator can't find it. Grrr.

It's weird because this problem seems to be all the sudden, my other online fonts work just fine, are located in the same folder that this new one is, yet Illustrator can't find it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2010 Feb 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Breath,

It's funny because all the Adobe programs refuse it but programs like TextEdit, and Font Book seem to find it fine.

This seems to imply that your new font is not really viable, corrupt even: Illy is maybe more sensitive than anyone else, because Live Type is both text and changeable shape, so the font has to meet certain requirements above and beyond being an assembly of letters.

In this case, the font seems to be bad enough to annoy her sisters as well.

I believe what they are trying to tell you, in their gentle way, is: That is not a font, (This is a font, being added when you pick a good one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does sound like good reasoning, but I tried to uninstall and then re-install a font that I already had working fine on Illustrator, when I tried to re-install the font...Illustrator couldn't find it. Even though it had no problem before.

I tried to download this font >> http://fontfabric.com/?p=763

Which should be from a reliable source...same problem. With every font I try to install, Illustrator isn't uploading it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Breath,

Obviously, that points in another direction. You may try to Move the folder , which is a reversible resetting of your preferences. If that does not help, maybe one of the  Other options (link from the same page) may be relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2010 Feb 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, I am trying to view the AIPrefs file but I'm not sure how to find hidden files on a Mac...Any help?

Finder isn't finding anything, including 'Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings' folder.

Also, now for some reason it looks like Illustrator is only recognizing system fonts, it can't even find Myriad Pro anymore...Gah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2010 Feb 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Breath,

The name of the preference file itself should be Adobe Illustrator Prefs on a Mac. But that is all I know, apart from the partly eaten apple shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2010 Feb 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using spotlight to search for it...no luck 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2010 Feb 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS3 it's [User]>Library>Preferences>Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings>Adobe Illustrator Prefs

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2010 Feb 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I found the place I was looking for, but am unsure what to do with it.

I moved the entire folder Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings to my desktop, I noticed after I opened Illustrator after that it made a new folder with default preferences...but still no change, still cannot find a font as common as Myriad Pro.

Also it said I was supposed to delete a hidden files so I made hidden files show but couldn't find the AIprefs one...

Screen shot of where I'm looking:

Screen shot 2010-02-19 at 10.33.49 PM.png

PS: Problem is also in all other programs such as InDesign, Photoshop etc

Uninstalled and reinstalled CS4 but problem still continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2010 Feb 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Breath,

I moved the entire folder Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings to my desktop, I noticed after I opened Illustrator after that it made a new folder with default preferences...but still no change, still cannot find a font as common as Myriad Pro.
Then it is something else.

PS: Problem is also in all other programs such as InDesign, Photoshop etc

Uninstalled and reinstalled CS4 but problem still continues.

Did you use the Clean Script in between? http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2010 Feb 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed the Adobe Illustrator CS4 settings again, deleted them, then ran the script you told me.

But not it seems that none of the programs work now, they all have this on them:

Screen shot 2010-02-20 at 9.38.01 AM.png

Do I uninstall Adobe now and then reinstall?

Adobe Installed > Run Cleanscript > Uninstall Adobe > Reinstall Adobe?

-- I have tried this before by uninstalling Adobe CS4 FIRST, then running the script, but when when this screen came up:

Screen shot 2010-02-20 at 9.51.59 AM.png

It couldn't find anything to clean up.

So when I did it just now, BEFORE uninstalling it (which I think was a mistake) it actually gave me CS4 suite to click on.

Grrr! Obviously it was a mistake because none of the programs can be uninstalled because they cannot be found...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2011 Jan 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob should probably not be giving advice to someone on the Mac system because no matter how many times this is posted he always tells it his way.

But when trashing the preferences on a Mac what you really need to do is trash the entire Settings folder, as is probably true of the Windows platform…because the folder itself can become corrupt. Also as has recently been posted so can the permissions for that folder and its content.

This is how you find the Adobe Illustrator settings folder

1. Quit Illustrator.
2.Go to User/username/Library/Preferences/ Adobe illustrator CS4 Settings and trash the settings folder, the whole folder not just the contents of the folder..
3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

4. Also you may on occasion have to trash the com.adobe.illustrator.plist file also in the same User/username/Library/Preferences/ directory but a little further down.

Then check the permissions you do that by using the disk utility and then manually checking it by right or control clicking on the Illustrator icon and going to get info to the bottom you will see where you can change the sharing and permissions you may have to change the permissions for all the users listed though on my Mac it works fine this way.

Screen shot 2011-01-15 at 8.12.39 AM.png

However if it is a question of the fonts not showing up it may not be the settings for Illustrator depending on what font manager you are using it maybe the font manager or something wrong with the fonts or the system itself.

i have had this happen to me as well after updating software but for sure I do not recall what software it was that causes this.

But I use Font Agent Pro and by quitting and restarting Font Agent Pro seemed to always fix it.

I suggest getting a font manger other than Font Book though some users are happy with Font Book.

If you add your fonts with font book they will show up in your applications.

Trying to load them yourself is probably not so helpful as you might think best to use something like FAP or Linotypes free type manager I think it is called font Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 15, 2011 Jan 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a font is invisible in an Adobe application (not that uncommon) there usually is something wrong with the font cache. To delete the font cache, use Onyx (can be found here http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx ). It has choices under Fonts for deleting font caches for system and users, Adobe, Microsoft and Quark. When done, restart machine and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, i sometimes take Different Language fonts, is there any solution for the same problem in Windows ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rex_tony schrieb:

Guys, i sometimes take Different Language fonts, is there any solution for the same problem in Windows ??

Please create your own thread. Describe the problem exactly. Post your version and system.

This thread is 5 years old. In fact it's so old that it's beginning to smell bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use the .otf file instead of .ttf. This is what works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines