• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Authorizing my nook

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2010 Apr 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed all the procedures for registering my nook with B&N and I also have downloaded ADE and established an Adobe ID the same as my nook's ID.  Everyplace I read I am suppose to be able to open ADE and then plug in my nook and ADE is suppose to recognize it and allow me to authorize it.  I have had no luck as ADE does not recognize my nook when I plug it into to the computer and I can't find any suggestions on how to correct this. Anybody have any ideas as to what I can do.

Thanks

tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 256 Replies 256
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out!!  I'll explain what I know in case someone else experiences this.

I first downloaded the ADE software before I had an Adobe ID. I set up the ID when installing the software and made it the same as my nook ID. I tried the authorization process described in my initial post but nothing happened to my knowledge.  I had read somewhre you need to have an Adobe ID before downloading the software so I deleted ADE from my computer and tried again - no luck.

In my search for help I read that when ADE authorizes a nook it sets up several folders on the device.  When I looked at the folders on my nook one of the folders was already there - I assumed it came with the nook but it apparently got established when I first tried to authorize the nook.  For whatever reason as mentioned above that initial attempt did not work.

Then I decided to delete the folder (adobe.digital.edtions-not sure of exact title) from my nook and then try the process of opening the ADE software and then pluging in my nook and it worked!!  The ADE software recognized my device and authorized it.  I have since successfully transferred several books I have borrowed from the online public library to my nook.

Again just posting this in case someone else happens to make the same mistaked I did.  Hope it helps.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!   It worked for me after I deleted the file as well!  I've been trying for about an hour to get it to work and finally found your post!   Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Thank you , Thank you...I have been trying for two days to get this info.  I just followed what you said and it authorized everything and I am now reading the book I borrowed form my public library.

Happy Reading...

Toni K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom you saved my hair as I was starting to pull it out.  The Library was clueless, B & N was clueless, and the Adobe support guy, from somewhere way east or west of us, could only tell me to come here and maybe find an answer.  You da man!

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom,

Another mega-thank you! The ADE and nook were giving me fits too.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tom for your fantastic post to this forum,

I called Barnes & Noble for Nook support and they said it wasn't their issue and to call Adobe. I spoke with Mark at his desk in the middle-east I'm sure and he told me to go this forum.

Quite disgusted Barnes & Noble was no assistance. Yesterday at Borders from whom I purchased an ePub spent at least an hour with me trying to make a product that wasn't theirs work. I'll be going to Borders again today to show them how to make books purchased from them work on Barnes & Nobles Nook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool, although I am not Tom. I can help anybody that owns a MAC and is trying to get ADE working with the nook though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you help me add an eBook to my ADE library? I try to drag and drop and that doesn't work. I"m using ver. 1.7.2.1131.

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What problem are you having? I've only used OverDrive Media Console, via the public library so far; instructions are on website for Mac and for PC. ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomcam:   bless you bless you bless you!!!  I chose

the nook over kindle because of the claim to be able to download books from the library and have been pulling out my hair for the la

st few months trying to figure this out!   THANK YOU

!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2010 Aug 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the ADE file off the Nook worked for me too so I could then authorize the Nook.  Thank you!  I was going crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I have read some of the threads here and set up an ADE account, then downloaded the ADE. Then I tried a book from the free library. So I finally got the courage to hook up my Nook but when I went to authorise my nook it said it was registered to a different user. Is this because of the ADE file already on the Nook? I am no computer whiz and not sure what to do here. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is exactly why you can't authorize your Nook (same thing happened to me)! The next thing you need to do is delete the existing ADE file on your Nook drive on your computer. Then sync your Nook to your computer. Unplug. Then open ADE and plug your Nook back in. You should then get the message about authorizing this "new" Nook. (It's probably not necessary to unplug between each step, but I wasn't taking any chances!)

Good luck and let us know if this works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I did all of that. When I plugged my Nook in the folder came up and I deleted the ADE file on that. Unplugged . I didn't know how to sync the Nook to the computer, that part I didn't do. Ok then I plugged the Nook back in but and opened the ADE. However,  when I go to "my computer" to open the Nook the ADE file is still on there. When I opened the ADE the book still would not open it did authorise the Nook. So I am not sure, do I have to delete the ADE file on the Nook from both places? Seems odd to me that the file would show up in two different places and is it normal that you can't get to the Nook file unless it is plugged into the computer? I may not get back on till tomorrow because I am having a root canal in a little bit and I will be out of it for the rest of the day. Thanks for your help and I hope you can understand what I said here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, not sure what problem you're having now....it sounds like you did get your Nook "authorized".

I don't know about the ADE Adobe Digital Editions files -if it matters, because mine works without the file even showing up! I do know that audio books /mp3 books cannot be downloaded directly to Nook on a Mac - you have to download to iTunes first, and then transfer from iTunes to Nook.

This is when I've used OverDrive software, and then with ADE, and then to Nook, thru the local library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2010 Dec 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set your Computer to work with our eBook provider

1. Download and install Adobe Digital Editions. This software requires Flash.
2. Open up Adobe Digital Editions. It will ask you to activate your software with an Adobe ID.

3. If you create an Adobe ID:
a. You may download the book to more than one computer as long as the computers all
use the same Adobe ID. (Up to 6 computers can be activated using one Adobe ID.)
b. You can transfer your eBooks only to Nooks that are using the same Adobe ID.
4. If you decide to continue anonymously:
a. You will not be able to transfer eBooks to your Nook!
b. You may only download to one computer.
c. You can activate an Adobe ID at any time. However, you may lose the rights to see any
eBooks that were downloaded previously.
5. We recommend that you create an Adobe ID. Follow the steps to do so.
6. Activate your Nook by plugging it into your computer with Adobe Digital Editions open.
7. Adobe Digital Editions will detect your Nook and ask to activate it using the same Adobe ID as
your copy of Adobe Digital Editions. Follow the prompts. (It may take a few minutes for Digital
Editions to see your Nook.)

Getting your eBook on to your Nook

1. Open up Adobe Digital Editions.
2. Plug in your Nook. If you have not previously set it up, Adobe  Digital Editions will ask to register
your Nook using the same Adobe ID as your Digital Editions.
3. Your Nook will appear on the left under Bookshelves.
4. To transfer your eBook to the Nook, click on your previously  downloaded eBooks and drag them
to the Nook icon. The book will transfer.
5. Unplug your Nook.
6. To find your new eBook, go to My Library.
7. On the touch screen, scroll up until you see My Documents.
8. Your new book will be in My Documents.
9. Enjoy!

For more help, please view the thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/698321

Hope the step helps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2011 Jan 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see 'nook' on my bookshelf, but when I try to drop and drag the title of the library book, I get " does not have permission to copy here".  Can you explain that and give me an idea of what to do next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I hooked the Nook up I deleted the ADE file that was already there by right clicking

and then deleting it but the next time I hooked the Nook up it was still there. I think it did regis

ter my Nook but the file is still there. I can't figure out why you have to delete that. Why did they put it on there then?

I did go ahead and download Calibre does that work the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no computer whiz, but I seem to remember deleting the ADE file wherever I found it on my computer.

Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling ADE? Deleting all ADE remnants from your hard drive before reinstalling? I do remember that once I had deleted that file and plugged the Nook back in, I was asked to authorize this new device.

To answer your question, I have NO idea why this file pops up on the Nook drive. It seems to be a very widespread problem. It would be nice if BN addressed it one of these days.

Do any of the original posters have any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Tom. I have been trying to activate my nook for two hours. No one at Nook Support or Adobe could help. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2010 Oct 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Tom. I have looked everywhere to try to find out how to do this. I followed your instructions and it worked. Your great!!!

-Steph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2010 Oct 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for posting this it only took me 3 weeks & someone from B & N to point me to this forum to solve my problem.

Penny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the new Nook Color and it had the exact same problem.  Thank goodness I found this posting.  You'd think they would have fixed this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK First things first--When I plug my Nook into my MacBookPro there is nothing on the screen to indicate that the Nook is attached so I can do none of the steps recommended. Nowhere is there an icon. I can't eject anything, click anything nor drag anything because nothing is there.  When I go to ADE there is no prompt for authorizing a new device.  I already have ebooks on my computer ready to load onto the Nook but no way to do it.  So now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines