• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X and Page Embedded PDFs

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2010 Nov 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing an issue across our corporation wherein, post-upgrade to Adobe Reader X, websites opened with Internet Explorer containing an embedded PDF frame now show a blank box instead of the PDF.  Firefox will display these sites correctly and I have verified Firefox is using the updated Reader X plug-in.  This has been tested across many configurations and behaves consistently in this fashion.  Reversion to Adobe Reader 9 appears to solve the problem, however, this is not a true solution.

Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/930/cpsid_93026.html resolved the problem for me

Known issues for version 10.1.2

For a list of current issues, see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/877/cpsid_87775.html.

• 2951429: Ink Manager color swatches are broken, display in RGB, most spots missing.

• Printing workarounds for the issues below appear at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/928/cpsid_92870.html:

• The printing preference to print on both sides of the paper is on by default.

• Reader crashes when trying to print when Protected

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please provide the detail of OS and IE version which you are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This behavior has been confirmed on Windows XP (32-bit) and Windows 7 (64-bit) running IE 8.0.7600.16385, 32-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening only for pdf embedded in webpages using embed/oject tags e.g.  http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfdevjunkie/2007/08/using_the_html_embed_tag_to_di.htmlor it happnes for pdfs e.g http://www.corewebprogramming.com/PDF/ch10.pdf as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens only with embed tag PDFs.

I noticed that of the plug-ins for Adobe Reader in IE, half were version 9 plug-ins still.  I tried repairing Adobe Reader X - this did not work.  Only after I uninstalled Adobe Reader X and deleted the Adobe Reader 9 and 10 program folders, then reinstalled Adobe Reader X did this issue resolve itself.  It appears the Adobe Reader X installer is not properly updating the IE plugins (at least not in all cases).  While this solution is fine for one PC, it does not scale to hundreds.  Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Upgraded to Adobe Reader X and Internet Explorer opens empty page instead of PDF document.

This is not a static PDF file, but stream attached directly to the HTTP responce.

Firefox and Chrome works fine, so I assume it's a problem in the Adobe plugin for IE.

It does not looke like an issue with previous version, as it was reproduced with both

Internet Explorer (versions 7 and 8) and Reader X on the clean computer (Vista).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like TaylorHigley suggested could ou please check the version of Reader X browser plugin? you could find them C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll. Right click -> Properties -> Details

If version is 9.0.x then you could try a clean install of Reader X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2010 Dec 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version of AcroPDF.dll is 10.0.0.396.

Reader 9 was never installed, just Reader X.

I still think this is Reader X problem.

If stuff works in Firefox, it has to work in IE without hassle of reinstalling/checking versions/cleaning registry/applying black magis spells/ etc, etc, etc...

Good job, Adobe's QA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone found a solution to this or news of a patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem by going to Edit - Preferences - Internet in Adober Reader, setting the Connection Speed to LAN and unchecking "Display in Read Mode by Default".  I then restarted Adobe Reader and the problem was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same symptoms. What worked in my case (installing Reader X on top of 9.4.0 in Windows 7 x64) was to just reboot the system, even though the installer didn't request it. After that, the browser plugins worked correctly without having to reinstall or repair anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2010 Dec 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue for me and my web app users with a clean computer and fresh install of vista with IE 8 and reader x (10.0.0)

we run a site that delivers pdf files from a script when people click on a link. our site runs over https but we have a rewite rule in apache to change it to http when delivering a pdf (due to a bug in IE that cant take pdf over https). when people that have reader X click on our link they get a new blank window rather than the new window with the pdf displayed in the browser.

clicking refresh in the new window displays the pdf properly.

previous versions of reader did not have this issue.

Come on Adobe friends, give us some love here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

When clicking a PDF file attached from our web-mail, a new "blank" window opens. Refreshing the page show the document.

The page is not actually blank, it has a dark gray backgroud (same dark gray as Reader with no open documents).

System specifications: Windows XP SP3 with Internet Explorer 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2011 Jan 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. My web application delivers dynamic PDF documents  from stream via HttpHandler.

When I open page with embedded pdf for the first time, the problem accurs, after refresh everything is ok until the browser window is closed.

Waiting for solution from Adobe Team

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2010 Dec 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attempted to solve the problem by trying the suggested solutions in messages 6, 9, 10 and 12 but no luck. I get the grey screen. The document opens in a separate window that does not give one the option to "refresh" since no tabs are available on the window. The other suggestions did not change anything.

Is the final solution to uninstall and reinstall Adobe 9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2010 Dec 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are currently experiencing simmular issue and I was wondering if there is any work around of configuration I can change to allow it ti display embadded/streamed pdf?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2010 Dec 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may help a few of you here.

I'm running IE 8 and Adobe Reader X on a WIN64Bit  system.

Reader X wouldn't open an embedded  PDF with IE8 64BIT. AR X seems to like an older version of IE.

Go to your START menu and you should see "Internet Explorer" and "Internet Explore (64-bit)".

Open a window with the "Internet Explorer", not the (64-bit).

In the IE8 window you'll see a "?" on the tool bar. Open it and click on "About Internet Explorer".

You should NOT SEE "64-bit Edition".

If you don't see "64-Bit Edition", go and try to view the PDF again.

It works for me and it seems I'll have to live with it until there's a patch for 64-Bit.

ADP64.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2010 Dec 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Phatbob02. It worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates to this issue?  I'm having the same issue with some of our internal websites with embedded pdf's.

Downgrading to 9.4 has fixed the issue, but I don't want to have to do this for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not heard anything back from Adobe on this bug in Reader/Adobe X...

-Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2011 Jan 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Phatbob02's suggestion. You get the embedded pdf if you use Adobe X in 32 bit mode rather than 64 bit mode. It has been working for me consistently for 2-3 weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2011 Jan 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happens to us on 32bit vista

Sent from mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

static PDF file is OK

stream is failed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2011 Jan 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our problem is also with stream files.  a static PDF opens fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. It works fine in Firefox but not in IE6, 7 or 8.

I checked the plugins and I'm on version 10 so not really sure what the problem is here.

Has anyone got any updates on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines