Reader X crashes on Windows XP

Nov 22, 2010 7:00 AM

I try to run Reader X on Winsows XP SP3, and it crashes:

untitled.JPG

What could be the problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2010 7:44 AM   in reply to vasyunia

I and my colleague had the same problem on win xp sp3.  our solution uninstall and fallback to previous version

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 3:40 AM   in reply to vasyunia

How are you trying to launch Reader? Double click / right click>Run as...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 5:04 AM   in reply to vasyunia

Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins?

I've seen similar issues with 3rd party plug-ins that aren't compatible with the new "Protected Mode" in Reader X. You should be able to move 3rd party plugins from the Reader 10.0 plug_ins folder, launch Reader, open preferences and uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup". After that, move your plugin files back into the plug_ins folder and re-launch Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 2:10 AM   in reply to vasyunia

This may also be due to missing Runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries.

You can reinstall the Runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries to resolve the problem.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03 -4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 3:54 AM   in reply to vasyunia

Are you running Reader X as admin/std/guest user?

Also is there any Antivirus like McAfee/Norton installed on your machine?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2010 2:38 PM   in reply to ruchi_agrawal_adobe

Install VS redistribuables (latest I think/hope) - but no change.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2010 1:36 AM   in reply to vasyunia

i have the same problem here when i click about

adobe reader x crash.png

i already reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) but same problem it crashes & hungup adobe reader x, i cant access also to preferences its not responding hangup.

not responding.png

so i downgrade to 9.4.0

My OS: XP SP3

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2010 2:42 AM   in reply to vasyunia

hi,

i´ve tried something that works.

just right-click on the AcroRd32.exe and chose properties. then Compatible Mode.then i chose Compatible Mode > Run Programm in Compatible Mode

for and there i chose Windows 2000. click on OK and start the exe or a pdf.

runs now without any probs. don´t knwo why :=) but it works for me. hope it could be helpful for you.

greetings from germany

lokutus

ps. excuse my bad english 

pps. my system  winxp 32  sp3

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 6:12 PM   in reply to lokutus25

Chosing the Windows 2000 compatible mode partially worked for me.  But, I still get the Visual C++ runtime error.  However, that doesn't seem to crash Reader.

Even with that fix, I can only open a pdf file by first starting Reader, and opening a file from within reader.  (In other words, if I double-click on a .pdf file from within Windows, it crashes.  I am also finding that my Acrobat Reader plugin for Firefox 10.0.0.396 still crashes when I try to view a pdf file in the Firefox browser.

I think I'd like to just install a previous stable version.  Can someone advise me on how to do that (specifically, where to find it).  I was upgrading from Reader 7, and removed it from my machine before I downloaded Reader X.

What a cluster!

Thanks.

PS, since I installed Reader X, I now have two identical copies of Adobe Air on my computer, according to the Uninstall manager.  If I uninstall one, will it further mess up my system?  Do I need Adobe Air to use Reader?

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jan 16, 2011 10:00 AM   in reply to vasyunia

I had the same problem and tried the compatability mode. It worked for me. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2011 11:35 AM   in reply to vasyunia

hi,

@WhidbeyG

the crash whould be caused by the thumbnail action, for example you just slide with your mouse over an PDF document,

then windows tried to give you a pre-view of the doc, but uses the adobe X without the compatible mode.

but as you wrote, i doesn´t make a difference because of the reader doesn´t crash.

i hope adobe whould patch these error as fast as they can, because of the sandbox usage correctly with winxp.

greetz from ger,

lokutus

ps. i hope i ddidn´t wrote to many nonsense

pps. adobe reader requires adobe air. still you can de-install all adobe prducts and install them completly new.

Message was edited by: lokutus25

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 7:20 AM   in reply to lokutus25

@lokutus25

Thanks for your help.

After trying everyone's suggestinos, I was still having Acrobat issues, so I tried uninstalling Acrobat, Air, and the C++ runtime libraries.  (When I upgraded to the 2008 libraries, I noticed that the previous version on my computer (2005) was still there.  So, I uninstalled both versions.)  Then, I installed the 2008 C++ libraries, followed by installing Acrobat Reader X (and its payload of Adobe Air).  Everything works fine now, as far as I can tell.  Hovering the mouse over a desktop PDF file does not throw a runtime library error, and the Reader plugin in Firefox works fine too. I am not using the Windows 2000 compatibility either.

BTW - Your English is fine.  Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2011 1:06 PM   in reply to vasyunia

Hi all,

I'm facing the same problem too. When I open Adobe Reader X, I got this error instead:

adobe_reader_X_error.JPG

A check on the application event log shows this:

adobe_reader_X_error_2.JPG

I re-installed Visual C++ 2008 libraries and then install Adobe Reader X but is still the same. This is ridiculous!!!

AND WHY IS ADOBE KEEPING HUSH HUSH ABOUT THIS WHEN THIS IS A REAL ISSUE!!!! DAMN YOU ADOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2011 6:32 PM   in reply to WhidbeyG

I was getting the same crashing described by others..

Thanks for the compatibility tip, that seems to work reasonably well.

I need both VS2005 and VS2008 on my system, so that could be an issue.

I still get some crash dumps, but the program seems to keep going! Sigh....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 8:09 AM   in reply to simplejhon

I am having this EXACT same issue.

Just opening Reader or double-clicking on a PDF I get the Runtime error and the reader crashes.

Switching compatibility mode to 2000 at least allows me to view the files, but printing causes a hard crash.

Is the only solution to remove all versions of VC except 2008?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 8:18 AM   in reply to MuffinRichie

Well removing VS2008 is NOT an option for me!  I at first thought the occasional crash was tolerable, but now it seems some background process is crashing...removing

Reader X is getting more and more likely...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 4:22 PM   in reply to Digistras80

I get exactly the same error message, sometimes 10-20 seconds after starting Reader X by itself, and sometimes after opening a file. In my case it seems to be related to resource usage. If I close all other applications (or reboot the system for that matter), then Reader X will work fine and will open the exact same file that it was crashing on.

In my specific case I had Outlook 2003, IE8 2 instances x 8 tabs, Skype, and a whole bunch of other apps open and Reader X would crash 10-15 seconds after opening a file.  Closing everything seemed to fix the problem.  Now the same file can be opened without any problems. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2011 10:31 AM   in reply to 4xformation

On my XP box at work and my fiancee's at home, if I double-click to open a PDF, Reader X crashes, every single time.

If I open a PDF some way other than double-clicking, it opens OK.

So I spent a company hour or so today which I may bill to Adobe later, and I discovered that if I changed the reading order setting from "infer" to "left-to-right," it solves it.

Ironically, we want to setup DRM using ACS, while Protected Mode is largely the cause of this bug, and if I recall correctly, these types of issues killed Adobe's first eBook app. Hmm.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points