• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn Compound Path Back Into A Path?

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to do this? I recall finding a method a while back, but I have long forgtten it. If anyone knows I would appreciate the info.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 options for compound path:  Make or Release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there's  way to turn a compound path back into a regular path. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dcloud! Really messy situation here! I'll comment on that in the latter text. I had the same question as you and the same situation. The answer is not what YOU did to make the compound shape a path again, but how AI interpreted it. The thing is, AI can convert/interpret a compound path back to a path AS LONG as that shape does not have holes in it. E.g.: let's take 6 and G. Now, G, you can make from several shapes let's say, merge, trim, whatever and it will be (converted to / seen as) regular path, because it doesn't have holes. Whereas 6, has a hole in it and will never become a path. Probably, what got us to the conclusion that you can turn a compound path to a path is that we only happened to merge and cut shapes without holes and that's how the memory remained. other examples (because I'm too lazy to draw a picture): paths: W E T Y U X vs compound paths: O P A D.

It really bugged me also that people didn't understand the issue, but this only prooves that it doesn't matter how many tech issues you solved or who you are, a carefull look at a problem, and a kind attitude towards another is the key. to a good community. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the options are in Object>Compound Path.

markerline and I presume you mean The Original Paths rather then A Path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're kidding, right?  Have you tried using the steps Mr. Bugge and I outlined above?  Look into your Layers palette to verify that your path is no longer a Compound Path after taking those steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but what steps? All you said was "There are 2 options for compound path:  Make or Release" and "options are in Object>Compound Path." I see no options in Object>Compound Path to turn it back into a regular path, and Make or Release does not do what I wanted. I don't want a shape/object split up into multiple objects, I just want it to turn into a regular path.

Maybe I'm not explaining it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

d.cloud wrote:

Maybe I'm not explaining it right.

You aren't.

If you have multiple paths, they are either one object seen as a compound path, or multiple objects seen as multiple paths.

You can not have multiple objects seen as a single path.

And I have no idea what "regular path" means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok....say I have an object which is a compound path, but now I want to turn it back into a path (regular path, whatever). Regardless of how many components are in the compound path I know there is a way to turn it back into a path - just one single path. I've done it before when I was taking an Illustrator class at LVSOnline, but I forgot how I did it. I thought someone here might know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To release a compound path you select the object and choose Object > Compound Path > Release from the menu.

That will result in a path for each area of the compound path. The ONLY way to release a compound path and get one path is if you started with one path before making the compound path. If there is more than one component in the compound path you will ALWAYS, under all circumstances, get more than one path when releasing the compound path. That's the way Illustrator has always worked.

That's essentially what everyone here has posted. If you don't believe the experienced users... good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never said anything about not believing anybody. I simply stated that at one time I knew how to expand a compound path back into a path (one single path), but forgot what it was. Like I said, I thought someone here might know. If someone does come along and knows how to do this I would appreciate the info.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont' seem to understand... you are asking how to do what has NEVER been possible in Illustrator. What you want has NEVER existed. You are mis-remembering what it was you did apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

d.cloud,

What happens if you:

1) Select the Compound Path,

2) Apply the Object dropdown list from the top of the screen, mouseover Compound Path, follow the right arrow and click Release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The compound path separates into however many paths were originally used to make up the compound path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

d.cloud,

Is that what you want, or how is it different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I answered this already above. Look, I know you guys don't know how to do this so why not just leave it alone and perhaps someone will come along who does know how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe what you did to turn multiple objects into A SINGLE path object was to use the Pathfinder Object and use Weld but especially if they are not intersecting paths that only results in a GROUP, not a single path.  (Please do not belittle such contributors as SW and Jacob Bugge who have several thousand posts and have obviously helped people in the past come to solutions about issues they were facing with software)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it wasn't Weld. And I never belittled anyone here, so I don't know where you got that idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I answered this already above. Look, I know you guys don't know how to do this so why not just leave it alone and perhaps someone will come along who does know how to do it.

This is what you wrote above in response to Mr. Bugge . . . . if This isn't belittling, I don't know what is "Why Not Just Leave It Alone and perhaps Someone Will Come Along Who Does know how to do it".  Do you really think these forum members would have spent their time trying to help you if you give this type of response?  Think again carefully about how you choose your words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to dignify this with anymore responses. This is just getting stupid now. If you take that remark as belittling then I don't know what to tell you. There is nothing belittling about it. I was simply saying hey, look, I'm not getting the answer I came here looking for, so let's move along. Which is just what I'm going to do now........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

d.cloud wrote:

I'm not going to dignify this with anymore responses.

Sweet!

This is just getting stupid now.

Sure is, but do you know who patient zero is?

If you take that remark as belittling then I don't know what to tell you. There is nothing belittling about it.

It was certainly seen as belittling by at least one person here who tried to help you and has fully and completely answered your question.

I was simply saying hey, look, I'm not getting the answer I came here looking for, so let's move along. Which is just what I'm going to do now.......

You did get the answer you came here looking for, several times. You just didn’t get the answer you wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2011 Jan 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Release method is not achieving what you need, perhaps try selecting individual paths within the object, then cut (command-X) and paste in front (command-shift-f) or paste in back (command-shift-b). Then each will be a separate path. Or you could try ungrouping after using the Release method. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

d.cloud

Don't worry about it, we are not infalable.

I believe you want to either expand the compound path, flatten the transparency or use the Unite filter in the Pathfinder panel.

And you are correct they do not understand because thoughg you stated it correctly it is not the way the expect it to be stated,

I did not read all of this since so if someone made the above suggestions and they did not work then I might also be misunderstanding you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wade,

I mentioned WELD above when I should have used the term Unite.  Weld is a process that is similar to Unite but is found in CorelDraw.  I mixed my programs up.  But in any case what you suggested still results in multiple paths or grouped multiple paths.  I think the user wants a single Path object for everything on the ArtBoard in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines