Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player installed, however doesnt work

Jan 22, 2011 Jan 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, my computer got some fake anti virus thing on my cpu the other day and my tech guy took care of it and got rid of it, but it must have deleted Adobe, and now when i try to use things like youtube it tells me i need to download the latest version of flash player.

Ok so i did that, everything with the download goes smoothly, however when i go back to youtube it tells me i still need to download the latest version? I have looked at the Tools>Manage Add-Ons thing and everything is enabled including shockwave. I have probably repeated this step almost 10 times. Im not quite sure how to tell if im on a 32 or 64 bit? I use IE7 on windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for starting your thread. When you go here to the test site, what version of Flash Player does it display?

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

I think you said that you can't see the animation, is that correct?

If you have the Shockwave Flash Object in All addons as the other person did and it's Enabled, then you should be able to see the Flash logo animate(spin) Just when you go to the site, it doesn't continue to "spin" though.

Let's do this first.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That site displays version 10, and yes that is correct i cant see the animation. Shockwave is enabled, i just disabled and then enabled again to see if it did anything, and no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back all files listed there. I need to make sure you have the correct Files Installed.

Did you receive any error messages when Installing?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

umm haha im somewhat technicologically advanced but im not sure how i get to the first part of what you said

and no i did  not receive any error messages when installing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, no problem. I'll post the directions for you in a few minutes. I'm sure you know you must use the Administrator Account when Uninstalling/Installing.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Win7, but I think the directions are similar. Click on Start, then Computer, right click on Local Disk(C:) and Open,

right click on Windows & Open, right click on System32 & Open, right click on Macromed & Open, right click on Flash & Open.

If you see any files NPSWF, then those would be for Firefox, etc. Right click on those and click on Properties to obtain the version numbers. You didn't say if you use any non-IE browser, but while you are there....

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm theres no macromed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok. Replace System32 with SysWOW64 and try that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahh sucess!

Flash101.ocx

FlashInstall

FlashUtil101_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil101_ActiveX

install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, now you know you have a 64bit Operating System, but using the 32bit browser:-) Those Flash files are correct. The problem is the Shockwave Flash Object.

Are you sure that it is listed exactly that way and not Shockwave Flash ActiveX ? What version is listed?

Also what Anti-Virus do you use?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is shockwave flash activeX so that is the problem i guess, also i use AVG.

I will be leaving so if you know whats wrong just shoot it here and ill be back later tonight to check on it, thanks for everything so far and thanks in advance for working me through all this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok. That one if for the Shockwave Player, which is entirely different than Flash Player. Easy to get them mixed up.

You're welcome, I know it is not the easiest thing to work thru. Too many variables:-)

I'm going to dinner soon so will review and post back the next step.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok so should i uninstall that shockwave that i have now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, no. Wait until we check a couple of other things. You may need that one. The SWO(Shockwave Flash Object) will be added to that during the next step.

I wouldn't do any Uninstalling/Installing or try to "fix" anything. I have a pretty good idea what needs to be done, but will post that info a little later.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok sounds good, im back so whenever you are good im good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, sorry for the long delay. I think we may want to Uninstall/Install, but this time using the Manual method.

Download and SAVE to your Desktop the Uninstaller:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Download and SAVE the FP IE Installer to your Desktop:  Use the one for Windows/Internet Explorer  EXE Installer

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Use the Administrator Account

Disable any msn/aol/yahoo messenger services in the system tray(area near the clock)

After that, then CLOSE all browser Windows, you only want to be looking at your Desktop

Open AVG User Interface. (Right Click to Open)
Double-click on the Resident Shield.
Un-tick the option Resident Shield active.

Save the changes.

Open AVG User Interface.(Right Click to Open)
Double-click on the LinkScanner.
Un-tick the option Enable AVG Search-Shield and Enable Active Surf-Shield.

Save the changes.

RUN the Uninstaller and when it is finished, Reboot(restart) your computer

RUN the Installer and when it is finished, Reboot your computer

Re-enable the AVG Resident Shield ONLY until after you test the browser here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/  

You may want to print out these instructions before starting.

Look them over and if you have any questions , let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my gosh, it didnt work, i did everything you said, should i retry it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was hoping a fresh Uninstall/Install would work. No at this time I would not retry. Did you receive any error messages this time?

I want to check a couple of things, will post back.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, There is a Setting in Win7 and it is in Vista also and IE7 and IE8. It is UAC(User Account Control) Other users are having an issue with this.

This is the Microsoft site that has a screenshot showing the Settings. Take a look and then let me know what Setting you have for this UAC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/user-account-control  

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is on always notify

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Well, for some reason the Settings on this UAC has been preventing a couple of users from Installing that Shockwave Flash Object, same problem you are having. Then we have had a couple of users that they have all of the Flash files correctly Installed AND the Shockwave Flash Object, but cannot view Flash content or videos.

So something is going on and so far it is Win7/IE8. I've worked on about 5 or more threads on this in the past week. The solution came from a user earlier than this week however. I had to search to find it!!

Those that changed the Setting to the lowest Setting were then able to Run the Uninstaller and Installer again and were successful.

Also one user that had everything correctly Installed, lowered their Setting to the lowest had success.

I've been doing some research and searching to try to find out the reason.

You may want to try to lower it to the lowest Setting, Uninstall and Install again to see if this is also affecting your system.

Getting late in my time zone so I won't be on too much longer.

If you want to try this tomorrow, that's ok too.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok ill give it a try, should do the tthing with AVG again? i understand its late where im at as well, thank you. So ya ill try and well see where its at in the morning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes I would do it exactly as you did before. Otherwise we won't know if it doesn't work this time(I hope it does) what was the reason. This way, we are only making that UAC change.

I'll check back on your thread. Just doing some late kitchen duty:-)

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is kind of depressing, it didnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines