Skip navigation

RH9 Installation Fail on Win7, 64bit

Jan 15, 2011 11:22 AM

Latest reply: perrin319, Jan 27, 2011 8:22 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2011 4:53 AM   in reply to Marielos Velazquez

OK so you unzipped to C:\Users\Desktop...

Try this.

See the post from mdsameer87 and follow only the steps under Recommendation but there is one important step before you reinstall.

Move the unzipped files from C:\Users\Desktop... to C:\RoboHelpInstall. The folder can be whatever name you like but it must be directly off the C drive and C:\RoboHelpInstall (or whatever you call it) must contain the setup.exe file and everything else that is in the current location.

Install it from there.

No promises but an earlier post suggests it might work.

Please post back when you have tried that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2011 11:42 PM   in reply to Peter Grainge

Peter,

It works!!!!!!!!     we won!!!!!

I finally insatlled RH9 on my lap.....

What I did?

1. Uninstall all the Adobe Products

2. Delete all the Adobe and RoboHelp reminds

3. Reboot the machine

4. Install RH9, and I have an error message

5. Unistall RH9

6. Delete all files from the directory "adobe\installers"

7. Copy all the files from the directory where de files where unzipped to "adobe\installers"

8. Install RH9 from "adobe\installers" again, and it works......

Thank you very much to all of you, specially to Peter and mdsameer87 for your patientence and help,  I hope this solutions work for somebody else....

I'll evaluate this versíon and after that I'll buy the license...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 12:54 AM   in reply to Marielos Velazquez

Marielos

I am pleased that it has worked but why did you move the setup files to adobe\installers rather than where I had suggested based on an offline email I received from Adobe?

That folder has been created by Adobe for a purpose and that is not to home the setup files. I suggest you now move those to another location.

For anyone else, the answer seems to be not to unzip the download to C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Adobe RoboHelp 9. Desktop is the bit to avoid. I suggest C:\RoboHelpSetup.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 4:06 AM   in reply to Flaven

Hi,

Pleased to know that problem looks to be sorted out..

However,for further inquiry and to look for root cause why the RH 9 install failed earlier we need following information:-

Part A

1) Do you have enough space(more than 5.5Gb for TCS and 857Mb for Robohelp) on the drive where extraction file is getting saved on the system?

2) Which ESD you are using TCS or RH ?

3) Location where you are extracting the ESD set up ?

Part B

In addition to the data needed above we also need following information.

1) Goto temp directory of Admin user(type %temp% in RUN)

2) Delete the log files with names Amt3.log ,PDApp.log ,oobelib.log ,swtag.log present at the location mentioned in step 1 above.

3) Goto Program Files\Common files\Adobe\Installers and delete the log files from there.

4) Now run the setup saving the extracted file on desktop to some other location such as C:\Robohelp.

If installer fails (in any case of step 4) mentioned above please send the log files mentioned in step 2 and step 3 of Part B

Thanks,

Mohd Sameer

Message was edited by: Peter Grainge 4) Now run the setup by saving the extracted file on desktop and some other location such as C:\Robohelp. amended to 4) Now run the setup by saving the extracted file on desktop to some other location such as C:\Robohelp.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 4:07 AM   in reply to mdsameer87

amitkapoor and perrin319

Could you please now provide the information Mohd Sameer has requested immediately above.

Re Part B Step 4, please see Item 5 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh9/using_rh9.htm

You must not run the setup.exe from a folder within Desktop.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 5:50 AM   in reply to Flaven

I tried all the steps that Mohd Sameer posted (including extracting the install files to C:\RoboHelpInstall), but the install still did not work and I got the same error messages.

Where can I post the log file?

Here are the apps I currently have installed:

Robohelp 8

Captivate 5

InDesign CS5

Acrobat 9 Pro

and Trial Versions of other CS5 creative suite programs that has since expired.

BTW, I'm on Windows XP SP3.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 6:13 AM   in reply to perrin319

Click Reply. Do you see Attach Files below the area where you type your reply? If you do, zip the required files into a zip file with your name.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 6:32 AM   in reply to Flaven

Nope, I don't see an attachment area, which is why I asked...

The rich text editor allows me to insert video or images, but I don't see a file attachment section anywhere above or below the reply section....

Using IE 8 here...

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 6:38 AM   in reply to perrin319

I asked because my understanding was that you wouldn't see it but just the other day someone did attach a file.

attach_files.jpg

Send it via my site.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 6:50 AM   in reply to Flaven

Thanks Peter,

I had gone ahead and uploaded to my dropbox...here's the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/129168/Perrin319_Adobe%20RoboHelp%209%209%2001 -24-2011.log.gz

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 12:54 PM   in reply to Peter Grainge

Peter,

Sorry for the mistake, I read the instruction without paying atention. I already move the files from the Installers directory to another directory...

TKS

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 9:01 PM   in reply to perrin319

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help. My issue still persists. But I won't bother. Installed the downloaded installer on a different Windows XP machine and it worked just fine. No clue why it did not work earlier though!

-Amit Kapoor

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 10:52 PM   in reply to amitkapoor

Amit

Glad you have got it running. It's a shame you don't want to try again on the other machine as it would help resolve the root cause for when you do need to put it on such a machine.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 1:50 AM   in reply to perrin319

Hi Perrin,

Thanks for providing the log files.

After looking at the problem it seems to be that there is an issue while installing Merge Modules. Please execute following step:

1) If you browse payloads folder in RoboHelp installer setup you will see below mentioned folder .
           Microsoft_VC90_ATL_x86
           Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86
           Microsoft_VC90_MFC_x86
           Microsoft_VC90_MFCLOC_x86
           Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86
           Microsoft_VC80_MFC_x86
           Microsoft_VC80_MFCLOC_x86
    2) Please manually run each of the msi’s in above mentioned folders.

3) On running the msi's you will get an option to Modify,Repair or Remove the msi's(if installed on the machine)

4) Please remove the msi's individually.

5) Re-Run the Robohelp set up after removing the msi's.

Hoping this will work.

Thanks,

Sameer

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 6:19 AM   in reply to mdsameer87

Well, it appears I can't win.

The steps above actually worked. I uninstalled the MSI's, uninstallled Robohelp9's failed install, rebooted, and then I was able to finally fully install RoboHelp 9!

However, when I go to launch RoboHelp HTML, I get the following Windows pop-up error:

====================================================================== ===

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML\RoboHTML.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

====================================================================== =====

So should i reinstall? I didn't try to uninstall and reinstall again since I'm at work and losing work time, and am getting pretty frustrated....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 6:59 AM   in reply to perrin319

Don't reinstall yet, get on with your work!

Wait for the Adobe guys to chip in. What you could do is send me the log files requested earlier in the thread so that I can send them on. They may need to those to decide what to advise you to do.

Thanks for having another go.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 7:35 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

Thanks Peter.....did you need something different from the log files I linked to in this thread (my post with the link is now at the bottom of page 1).

Sameer used that log file to see that I was having an issue with MSI's during the install.

If there is something else I need to upload I will be glad to do so.....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 7:54 AM   in reply to perrin319

Perrin

Looking for the later version, after you had successfully installed.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 8:13 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 11:36 AM   in reply to perrin319

Hi Perrin,

Your new log file shows that RH9 got successfully installed on your machine. However you are saying that you cannot run the application. You mentioned that pop up error displays C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML\RoboHTML.exe. Do you have 64 or 32 bit OS ? I believe you have 64 bit OS. So the default install location should be C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML\RoboHTML.exe. Now question arises do you changed the default install directory?

If so then I would recommend you to install the setup in the default install directory. Please uninstall RH,reboot the machine and re-run the setup. Make sure  install directory is C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9 for 64 bit OS. Also,it seems you have not cleaned amt3.log,oobelib.log,PDApp.log,swat.log before installing RH 9. Please do clean these files(from %temp%) before installation.

Thanks,

Sameer

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 11:41 AM   in reply to mdsameer87

Sameer,

I have a 32 bit OS (Win XP sp3), so I don't have the directory you mention.

Yes, the install went fine with no problems, but now I can't run the program (I get the error message I mentioned earlier).

Since I have a 32 bit OS, what would you like me to do?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 12:01 PM   in reply to perrin319

Hi Perrin,

Recommend you to clean the log files at temp directory. Uninstall RH by selecting de-activate checkbox(provided you have installed in licensed mode) and Remove Preference checkbox on first screen of uninstall.Clear registry pertaining to RH. Reboot the machine.Make sure you have ample space(more than 1.2Gb) in C directory .Re-install RH.

Thanks for your patience,

Sameer

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 12:07 PM   in reply to perrin319

Once you follow steps shared by sameer and if you face the same issue then please share following log files:

1. Application Logs: to get this Click Start -> Run and type eventvwr, it will open Event Viewer window. There you can select Application in the left side and do the right click and select Save As logs. Choose desktop to save the log file and share that log file.

2. Also please open "Temp" folder. you can reach there by simply type %temp% in the run command and it will open temp folder. From there locate the file amt3.log, please upload that as well.

3. In the same location, you can find alm.log, share that also.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 1:21 PM   in reply to Flaven

OK I followed all the directions, clearing all logs, uninstalling, and then rebooting and reinstalling RH9.

The install worked, but when I go to launch the RoboHelp HTML 9 I get the same EXE error message mentioned above.

I have zipped up all the log files requested except for "amt3.log"....for some reason that log was not in the temp folder this time....

Logs:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/129168/Perrin_latest_Logs_01_25_4pmEST.zip

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 2:54 PM   in reply to perrin319

Do you see only amt.log then, you can share that also.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 4:36 AM   in reply to AlbusTeck

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 6:42 AM   in reply to perrin319

Hi Perrin,

RH 9 set up is working fine on your machine. Log clearly shows that Adobe Robohelp 9 got installed on your machine. I am afraid to say that there is some problem on your machine pertaining to MS Visual studio library. This was the reason why RH9 was not getting installed on your system. I recommended you to separately work on Visual studio libraries and then try installing RH 9 set up. This worked for the set up to complete.

I suggest you to do step1 and 2 of comment no 53(just run step1 and 2) in which is suggested you to run payloads independently. Then try to launch RH 9.However, no promise that it will work.

If that didn't work either then you have to look what is the issue with your system as I myself tried the set up on WIN XP SP3 and it worked fine.

1) Navigate to http://www.dependencywalker.com/depends22_x86.zip.

2) Download this tool.

3) Open Depends.exe

4) Click !File | Open.

5) Navigate to robohtml.exe ,the location where you have installed RH 9 setup(eg C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML\Robohtml.exe)

6) After openeing the exe this tool will list whatever dll RH9 set up needs and what dll is missing from your system.

7) Missing dll will be shown in yellow question mark. See sample image below

dependency_tool.JPG

Thanks,

Mohd Sameer

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 8:22 AM   in reply to mdsameer87

Finally!

Re-installing the MSI files from step 1 (comment 53) solved it!

The last time I installed RH9 it must not have reinstalled the MSI's, so this time when I launched each individual MSI it only gave me the option to install them (not repair or remove). Once the MSI's were installed, the RH9 exe file launched with no problems.

Thanks for everyone's help here!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points