Skip navigation
Thomas Helzle
Currently Being Moderated

Wacom Intuos 4 freezes in lightroom 3.x

Sep 28, 2010 3:48 PM

I posted this in the Wacom forum as well, but they seem to think it's an Adobe issue, so I thought it best to post here as well:

I am unable to work in Lightroom 3.2 for more than ~10 minutes doing trivial tasks like looking at different images, set some values in the develop module etc. before the tablet freezes completely.

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit with latest updates, GeForce 8800GT with latest drivers, Intuos 4 with latest Wacom Driver (but I tried other versions as well...), Dual Quadcore Xeon machine, 14Gig of Ram...

CPU use of the wacom tablet is VERY high when I just move the pen back and forth fast enough with the pointer on top of Lightrooms interface - I can max out one core completely! (like in the win 3.1/95 days with my serial A4 ;-) ).

Funny thing is, after the wacom dies (it never comes back BTW.) the mouse is also starting to act up and hangs every now and then for some seconds. As if the whole pointer-moving-subsystem is getting borked by the wacom crash.

The worst thing is, I found no way to revitalize the tablet other than rebooting - which is impossible 4 to 5 times an hour. I would be much more willing to restart some service or driver every now and then but not the machine.

If I disconnect and reconnect the tablet, even the LCD screens of the wacom buttons stay dark, only the wheel LED is alive. If I connect the USB to another USB port, the tablet works for about 1 second, the pointer moves one millimetre before it's dead again.

I tried all the suggestions in the wacom forum regarding USB ports, energy saving settings etc., disabled the Wacom virtual HID driver (as somebody suggested in the Lightroom forum), tried different USB connections (the tablet is connected directly to the computer, not to a hub), tried all settings in the Wacom Driver...
The Windows 7 Pen stuff is uninstalled, so that shouldn't be it neither.
Mouse flicks and all that jazz are off as well.

But now I'm pretty lost.

On the wacom forum there are a lot of users with this problem and I found several threads here as well.

Wouldn't it be possible for Adobe to directly work with Wacom on this? Users can only do so much about this issue...

Pretty please ;-)

This happens only in Lightroom 3.x for me, not in Photoshop CS4 or any other software I use (quite a lot actually).

And if anybody should have found a solution, I'm all ears :-)

Thank you!!!

Thomas

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 28, 2010 11:40 PM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

Last thing I heard (it has been a couple of months), the "fix" for this is to roll back to an earlier driver version from Wacom.  It appears that the latest version doesn't like LR, but an earlier version did.

Give that a try!

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2010 12:05 AM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

You can get it running properly again by going into Control Panel, System and Security, Admin tools, Services, and look for TabletServiceWacom. Double click it, stop the service, then restart it. The tablet should be working again.

Of course, you'll need a separate non-Wacom mouse, or have to learn to navigate with the keyboard (tip Ctrl:PageDown/Up take you through tabs).

Hopefully a longer term fix is in the same dialog box. On the Recovery tab, set first failure to Restart service, and you can do the same with second and subsequent failures. Now I don't know for certain if this works - I've not lost the Wacom since I changed the setting, and I've not looked into it deeply enough to be sure I am doing the right thing.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 1:04 PM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

You should still follow the advice of John Beardey given above about setting the service to automatically restart after a failure. I had this problem a lot, it was then seemingly fixed with the latest drivers 6.1.5-7 (or at least so claimed Wacom) and did indeed work well for a while. Then suddenly, in the middle of editing a load of pics, the service just stopped. I was then forced to root around the backs of draws for an old usb mouse in order to manually restart the service and get my mouse back...a real pain. Once you have done what John suggests at least if the service suddenly stops it will automatically restart without any messing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 2:34 PM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

That's not good news...I just assume that my drivers haven't crashed since the last restart when I followed John's advice. I will have to remember to keep an alternative mouse handy!

I am still using a now ancient Intuos 2. It has never had any problems until the last few months, the drivers are the same for all versions of the Intuos tablet and pens. This has been reported all over the place, both Adobe and Wacom seem well aware that there are problems with this. I can't imagine any Wacom user doesn't use one Adobe product or another, so why it still isn't fixed.......

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 8:14 AM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

Anybody tried the latest drivers, 6.16-7?

Strangly shown as an RC on the European Wacom site and as a finished product on the USA site although the descriptions are the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 1:15 PM   in reply to Pete Marshall

Yes - still crashing here :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 6:36 AM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

I have the same issue on my Toshiba laptop running Win 7 Professional  using a Intuos 3. I found an event log that I will try to pass along to  Wacom that shows the Wacom application had several errors. Frustrating  that the problem still exists I have tried everything mentioned here in  this thread with the exception of rolling the Wacom driver back to an  earlier release.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 10:34 AM   in reply to Pete Marshall

Locked up 3 times in the last week.  At the time, all I was doing was going to a different folder.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Intuos4 6.1.6-7 driver

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 10:48 AM   in reply to kgts12

Adobe are aware of the problem but it's a tricky one. It is known that LR is triggering a problem in the Wacom driver - ie the bug's a bit Lightroom, a bit Wacom, and it's not clear where the solution lies (but they are talking).

Both I and a colleague have experienced the problem over a period but we have been unable to identify any pattern, other than it being limited to Windows 7 64 bit. I've not noticed it in connection with moving to different folders, but it would be helpful if others also report what they were doing at the point of the lockup.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 11:19 AM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

For me, it happens only at the moment of clicking with the pen - but it seems it can happen when clicking on pretty much any menu item or any control. Win7 x 64 here

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 11:38 AM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

I am using a Intuos 3 so my symptoms maybe a bit different than for the Intuos 4. I notice it mostly when using the Develop module especially if using the adjustment brush. The program seems to get sluggish almost to the point of hanging but then it recovers somewhat if I exit the brush tool. Then when switching back to the library module that is when it will usually happen. I have had it happen while making selects in the library module as well. I can usually only work for about 20-30mins before the problem occurs. I have tried re-installing the newest version of the driver 6.1.6-7 using the msconfig diagnostic startup mode with no preferences loaded. That worked for about a half hour I then loaded my backed up preference file and 20 mins later it locked up. Since lastnight I have installed the older Wacom Intuos 3 driver version 6.1.2-5 following Wacom's suggestion of doing the install from the msconfig diagnostic startup mode. I was able to work with no issues for about 2-3 hrs, I redefined some of the keys but did not re-import the prefs file and it continued to work ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 1:15 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

I still have the occasional crash of the Wacom driver. I don't think it matters which Intuos tablet is being used as there is one drive from the Intuos 2 through to 4. I use an old 2 at home and a 4 elsewhere and the problem has occurred with both.

I noticed today that the windows update thing reported an important update for the Wacom mouse driver. Unusually for me I tried to instal this from windows update. It wouldn't install and gave the usual unhelpful Microsoft message...so I hid the update. I checked the wacom Europe and USA site to see if they had updated the drivers and they hadn't. Anyone know if this windows update is relevant or the usual rubbish from Microsoft?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2011 4:57 PM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

I just purchased my new Intuos 4 Medium about a month ago or so, and haven't been able to get it to work for more than a few minutes at a time in Lightroom 3 (also purchased only about a 6 weeks ago), even after following the suggestions I received from the help at Wacom.

I have been using my old Bamboo tablet (also by Wacom), and it has been crashing occasionally, as well - although not nearly as frequently or as hard as the Intuos 4. Funny, I decided to get the Intuos becuase my Bamboo was acting strange and sluggish, think the fault was with the tablet.

I find this very upsetting, since I specifically purchased the tablet to work on photos. It only crashes in Lightroom.

I really wish there were a quick fix for this.

My operating system is Windows Vista, 64 bit.

Regards

Wendy

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2011 1:32 AM   in reply to omauntie

You will find that there remain problems with the Wacom drivers. Freezing and dropping of the drivers is a common problem for many people on windows systems, particularly when maxing the RAM out. You may have only experienced this in LR, but you will find it also occurs in other apps that make serious use of resources such as Premier and After Effects. I don't think it is a specific LR problem, but rather a problem with Wacoms drivers.

I am on W7 rather than Vista and am pretty sure the problem is less with W 7 64 bit than it would be on Vista 64 bit because the memory management has been improved with the newer OS, but it remains a problem.

Some of the solutions offered in previous posts may help you improve things, certainly make the tablet and pen usable, but it will still drop the driver now and again. If you rely on the Wacom mouse have a spare usb mouse around and when it drops the the driver you can either quickly reinstall which usually corrects, start the drivers up manually, which doesn't always work or just restart the whole system.

Wacom seem to like to blame the apps people use the tablet with, which is silly as obviously the tablet is pretty useless unless they build drivers that work with RAM hungry applications that are the sort of thing it is useful for. If all it works with is PS it becomes a real waste of time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2011 5:08 AM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

On my system, this problem was introduced by LR3. Killer combination indeed!

LR2 did not exhibit this. And I also do not experience any problem

with PS CS4/5 or a host of other applications.

I do have a problem with the Wacom mouse not working on the audio

application 'Wavelab' - but that's another story!

John

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2011 7:02 AM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

I'm having the same problem.  No matter what Wacom driver I use after working in LR3.3 for a while weird things start happening.  When I go to move a slider in the develop module, the program pauses for a few seconds to load the preview picture again.  I'll wait a few seconds and move the slider again and the same thing happens.  When it pauses to load, I can't use anything.  I have to shut down and restart LR3.3 to get back to working normal.  In some cases, it will just shut down the tablet and I'm done!  Have to restart windows to load driver again.  I'm using Win 7 64 bit with 8 GB or memory and ATI HD 5400 color card.  Updating color card driver does not help.  I don't have this problem with CS5.  I can work all day on a bunch of photos and nothing happens.  I've actually stopped using LR3.3 for this reason.  It's a waste of time and money at this point.  I have traced it down to using any program that is a plug in for LR 3.3.  When I use Noise Ninja and Nik software to do edits, then everything starts going crazy.  If I don't use a plug in, then all I have to do is move the wacom pen too fast or go to the menu bar and the tablet crashes.  Again, a waist of time a money!  My tablet works perfectly with all other programs I have.  It's definitley a LR 3.3 problem.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 9:36 PM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

I've had my Intuos 4 for well over a year, and used it with Vista 32-bit Intuos 2 quad CPU with 4 GB of RAM.  I have no issues with any program except LR 3.  It worked flawlessly in LR 2 and all other Adobe programs I normally use.  Usually occurs in Develop Module, even with very slight adjustments using the Adjustment Brush.  I totally lose the driver.  I have been in contact with both Adobe and Wacom, tried all recommended work arounds, to no avail.  I have to re-install the driver every time.  I finally gave up and simply have to make any adjustments in Photoshop CS5, if I don't want to disrupt my workflow any more than it is.  I sure hope there is a solution on the horizon!

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 1:17 PM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

I just wanted to mention here that I downloaded the Lightroom 3.4 update, and

much to my delight and surprise, my Intuos 4 now works perfectly with the program.

I am very grateful that Adobe finally figured out how to make this program work with one

of the best tools available on the market.

Way to go Adobe!!! Thank you for the fix!!!

Wendy

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 3:24 PM   in reply to omauntie

Thanks for the heads-up, I can't wait to try this out now. Fingers crossed!

John

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jun 3, 2011 1:31 AM   in reply to Thomas Helzle

I too have the same freeze problem.. Wacom works fine on all applications, until I load lightroom.. works ok for a little while and then only allows the cursor to mover in the top left corner of the screen.

I use Win 7 64.. I have a twin monitor setup, the latest lightroom and CS5 photoshop.

I stop using lightroom and the Wacom tablet works fine..

Most annoying..

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2011 10:16 AM   in reply to Geoff Wise

Seriously - since I installed the Update to Lightroom, I have not had a single problem with my Intuos 4.

THANK YOU ADOBE for fixing this!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points