Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5 Step and Repeat not functioning properly

Dec 20, 2010 9:15 AM

This has been discussed earlier but I am looking for more input.

There are two significant problems with Step and Repeat in InDesign CS5:

1. In the dialog, horizontal and vertical are in reverse order.

2. After stepping an object, the original object remains selected.

Does anyone know why Adobe changed the dialog and behavior from all previous versions of InDesign? I can understand the advantages of the new grid feature, but that could have been implemented without changing the normal step and repeat.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2010 10:56 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

Printer_Rick wrote:

2. After stepping an object, the original object remains selected.

After I step anything all objects are selected?  It changed in CS3 and then it was dependent on when you clicked the preview button and whether you made changes to the repeat count before or after selecting or deselecting it.  Sandee Cohen answers a question about it in Indesign Mag issue 20.

As to the rest, IMHO it's just another thing that the engineers made a mistake on.  Like the buttons for vertical justification on a text frame:

1.png

They've lost their relationship to each other so it's hard to see whether you're clicking on middle or bottom; ironically they also take up more space.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 11:38 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

No point in reporting it as a bug, since it will get dismissed as "by design" and not a bug. That doesn't mean it's a GOOD design and sholdn't change, just that filing a bug won't make it happen. File your opinion as a feature request instead (to change an exixiting feature) and it might get reviewed and implemented. Same form...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 11:30 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

3. The stupid "helpful" error message that says it can't add boxes outside of the bounds pasteboard...  It keeps the settings you last used to  step and repeat. But when you add your new count, then tab to change the old offset number, if it happens to go outside of the bounds as it calculates using the old offset number it gives you an error, and reset's your count. It shouldn't give you the error until you hit "ok" (if your objects will go out of the pasteboard). This is rediculous for it to tell you that your settings are wrong when it is judging it off the settings from last time which you are in the process of changing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 11:34 AM   in reply to MKPETZ

Uncheck the Preview box.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 11:37 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It isn't checked

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 11:51 AM   in reply to MKPETZ

OK, I see that's still a problem. You might have to set the number of duplicates to 1 temporarily or change the order in which you are setting the distances.

I agree, this is a royal pain.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 11:55 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Exactly. We just end up tabbing, changing the offset values, then change the count. It doesn't make sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 11:59 AM   in reply to MKPETZ

This might be worth filing a bug. Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 12:23 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Bug report filed although it's difficult to compose a decent paragraph descibing the bug as my blood boils over this one. (I hate this bug as much as what's his name hates the never improved Footnotes)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 1:02 PM   in reply to Daniel Flavin

You must have been reporting this as I was too. Twice as likely to get it fixed?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points