Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS5 Screen Resolution

Jan 25, 2011 5:33 AM

<START OF RANT>

Having recently decided to upgrade all my design software, I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was (and still am) to find that after spending £231.12 GBP on buying Photoshop CS5 (upgrade from CS2) I'm unable to "Save As" and access some other features on my Acer Ferrari One due to the minimum screen resolution requirement. And before you start preaching that I should have checked, blah, blah, blah, and that it's my own fault then I only have 2 words for you: F*** O**!!! Why am I reacting like this? Simples, both Photoshop CS2 and Dreamweaver CS5 (for a mere £219.95 GBP) work fine on the very same netbook without any problems!!!

Having spent hours upon hours browsing the tinternet (a.k.a. world wide web) and finding countless of people in the same boat as me making futile attempts to get Photoshop CS5 to work on a smaller screen resolution (the most common being 1024x600), it seems that short of changing the screen it will not work properly.

Allow me therefore to put the following questions to the developers/coders of Photoshop CS5:

1. Why do Photoshop CS2 and Dreamweaver CS5 work on the same netbook without fail yet Photoshop CS5 won't (unable to "Save As", can't see full screen of the "Save for Web" screen, etc.)?! WHY??? And please don't start with the lame excuse that they are different programs for different purposes because at the end of the day it's the same company. You don't buy a Mercedes C-Class and a Mercedes S-Class to find that the steering works on 1 but not the other, do you?!

2. Are your heads so far up your place where the sun don't shine that you have forgotten about the fact that people FIRST pick a PC/Mac/Laptop/Notebook/Netbook and ONLY THEN PICK SOFTWARE?

3. Do you want people to keep buying your software?

If the answer to question 3 (above) is YES, then PULL YOUR FINGERS OUT, get your act together and do something about these issues, pronto. Else, rest assured you will lose custom to the competition (e.g Corel) - even loyalists like myself (who started & stuck with Photoshop since 1997 - that's 14 YEARS OF LOYALTY should one be incapable of doing the math). In this day & age any company would be wise not to make mistakes which could cost it market share - Adobe is making that mistake with Photoshop right now!!!

</END OF RANT!!!>

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2011 5:51 AM   in reply to julian-black

Do not expect your message in this user to user forum to be heard by Adobe.Try using the contact links found all over Adobe.com.

julian-black wrote:

...3. Do you want people to keep buying your software?...

Not speaking for Adobe, I would expect that they want intelligent people to keep buying their software. They also make Photoshop Elements for someone like you. Photoshop is a professional image editing application used by professionals. Professionals do not pick up a cheap low-power netbook to do their image editing. Casting the concept of 'professional' aside, Adobe expects buyers to be literate to notice the system requirements prior to paying large sums.

If all that you are doing is web design, you should be using GIMP, which is free, requires much less resources, and is better suited for preparing web images (PNG8 with alpha anyone?).

RE: rants... GIGO

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 25, 2011 6:10 AM   in reply to julian-black

I happen to agree with you, and I can't imagine why Adobe has allowed this issue to remain open through 3 product updates.  Do they not realize that even if part of the dialog is off-screen that people could still actually operate it e.g., through the keyboard?

The funny part is the minimum sized Save As dialog, on a system that's got a sufficient vertical pixel count, is only a hair over 600 pixels high (632 including the chrome on my system), and it's pretty easy to see how it could be collapsed vertically to as small as 500ish pixels just by reducing the height of the file window below its current minimum.

SaveAsDialogMinimumSize.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 8:03 AM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Professionals do not pick up a cheap low-power netbook to do their image editing.

Yupp....  Though, to be fair, the ever growing screen resolution requirements make me dread the day when even a 24inch screen won't be enough to even install the tools...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,978 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jan 25, 2011 1:25 PM   in reply to julian-black

julian-black wrote:

<START OF RANT>

Having spent hours upon hours browsing the tinternet (a.k.a. world wide web) and finding countless of people in the same boat as me making futile attempts to get Photoshop CS5 to work on a smaller screen resolution (the most common being 1024x600), it seems that short of changing the screen it will not work properly.

Why are trying to get Photoshop work on a display that is smaller then the programs was designed for. Adobe publishes screen requirements.  Next you'll want it to run on a iPod Nano so you can have it on hand all the time.

Minimum system requirements

Windows®

2GHz or faster processor*

Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3, Windows® Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 2, Windows® Vista® 64-bit or Windows® 7

1GB of RAM or more recommended

1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (Photoshop CS5 cannot be installed on flash-based storage devices.)

1,024x768 display (1,280x800 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL® graphics card, 16-bit color and 256MB VRAM

DVD-ROM drive

Some 3D features in Adobe Photoshop Extended require an OpenGL 2.0 capable graphics card with at least 256MB of VRAM (512MB VRAM is recommended)

Shader Model 3.0

Some features in Bridge rely on DirectX9 capable graphics card with at least 128MB of VRAM

QuickTime 7.4.5 required for multimedia features

Broadband Internet connection required for online services

*SSE2-enabled processor required for AMD systems

Mac OS X

Multicore Intel® processor

Mac OS X v10.5.7 minimum is required; Mac OS v10.6.2 is recommended; 32-bit and 64-bit systems (You may need to run 32-bit in order to run 32-bit only plug-ins.)

1GB of RAM or more recommended

2GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional hard-disk space required during installation (Photoshop CS5 cannot be installed on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on flash-based storage devices.)

1,024x768 display (1,280x800 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL® graphics care, 16-bit color and 256MB VRAM

DVD-ROM drive

Some 3D features in Adobe Photoshop Extended require an OpenGL 2.0 capable graphics card with at least 256MB of VRAM (512MB VRAM is recommended)

Shader Model 3.0

QuickTime 7.4.5 required for multimedia features

Broadband Internet connection required for online services

<Just keep on RANTING if it make you feel GOOD>

CS2 Works the Problem is all YOU 

So same to you and you foul mouth.

Why blame Adobe Why not your net book maker fot not allowing you to set a resolution more then the display has. I have worked on machines the could the just scroll the display over the larger image that way you can see the whole image.  CS5 would work on a machine like that.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 25, 2011 1:23 PM   in reply to julian-black

I think he means to insult Adobe, and not we fellow users.

It would of course be better to maintain decorum, though, even while ranting.  But does a rant really demand a sharp response?  Rise above it and just don't say anything if you really have nothing to add.

To Julian:  You should return the software for a refund ASAP before you're stuck with it for good.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,978 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jan 25, 2011 1:30 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

OK Noel I added its the netbook's fault for not providing virtual display support then CS5 would run but thenl CS2 would most likely still run better and cause them to rant on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 6:21 AM   in reply to julian-black

1. Serious ps users make sure their hardware meets their program's system requirements.

2. If you decide to buy you bigger Mercedes and it won't fit into your garage anymore, I'd say that's your own fault.

3. ALL software evolves, if you insist on using your old hardware, stick with the programs that were built to run on your old gear.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 11:27 AM   in reply to julian-black

julian-black wrote:

...Thus, please refrain from participating any further in this discussion while not in a capacity to speak on behalf of Adobe or offer anything other than remarkable insights into what one should or should not use for image editing.

That's kind of why you are silly for posting in this user to user forum. You're not going to get anyone from Adobe to reply to your insanity and you're not going to get Adobe to change the minimum system requirements. I'm not telling you that you are using the wrong machine for image editing. Adobe is. This aint rocket science.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)