Skip navigation
bandgeek8910
Currently Being Moderated

OpenGL Error Code 7

Jan 24, 2011 11:17 AM

I just bought a EVGA GTX 470 so I could use the GPU Acceleration in Adobe. Soon after starting to edit some video, I get this error:

Your hardware configuration does not meet minimum specifications needed to run the application. The application must close. Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help. Error code: 7

Premiere then freezes and I have to end the task.

When I set the render settings to Software Only, I have no issues.

I have googeled the error and have found no solution, but others are having similar problems.

All my drivers are up to date as of right now.

My hardware consists of:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz

6GB DDR2 RAM

EVGA GTX 470

600 Watt Power Supply

Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2011 11:58 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

What version of Premiere Pro are you running? Have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 7:15 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

I just encountered this error message and subsequent crash, myself. I'm running the latest nVidia drivers--which seem to be causing other issues as well.

This error/crash seems is reminiscent of the earlier crash that would occur with large images and hardware MPE. I wonder if the new drivers introduced a regression to this behavior.

I can easily reproduce this. I'll post up a project file and image later; hopefully Steve Hoeg will pop in here. He seems to be the guy on-task with these issues

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 7:32 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

For people running into this problem, what version of the NVIDIA driver are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 7:40 AM   in reply to SteveHoeg

I'm using GeForce 266.58, released 01.18.11, on a GTX480 and 5.0.3. I'm going to rollback to 260.99 in a little while, to see if I can replicate it. I've had all kinds of issues since going to these drivers; the "jumpy stills" thread is another issue I hadn't witnessed before.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 8:00 AM   in reply to bandgeek8910

In the mean time while they sort this problem out why don't you roll back to 258.96 (or any other earlier version than that last one where they made immense changes). That is what I have on my editing computer and it is working perfect on my GTX 480 and my GTX 580.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 7:25 PM   in reply to bandgeek8910

Hopefully Steve won't mind me mentioning, but I sent him a project file and some images that were triggering the crash, and it seems that he had cornered the issue. Without going into specifics--mainly because I don't know any specifics--this appears to be related to large images that, when displayed using hardware MPE and CUDA acceleration, fill up the memory of the GPU and eventually crash the software. The workaround, beyond not using hardware MPE, is to resize your images.

Can you pinpoint the part of your project that causes the problem? If it's with an image file, you might try resizing it in Photoshop or similar; lowering the DPI and changing the frame size will help this. If it's with a video clip, that might be a different issue altogether and you should probably report the issue with as much detail as possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 8:23 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Colin,

Perhaps a case of doing things, as they needed to be done in earlier versions - Scaling overly large stills in PS, prior to Import?

Just thinking here,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 8:32 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Maybe... but this was a bug, not a matter of practice or performance.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2011 10:54 PM   in reply to bandgeek8910

I'm using 270.61 with an FX 3800

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2011 4:52 AM   in reply to stevesheridan

Steve,

The Nvidia 270.61/270.71 drivers have a problem with CS5/CS5.5 right now; a new version is supposed to be released soon. Use the previous WHQL version in the meantime.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2011 6:49 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

To confirm what Colin said and give a little more information about the new driver coming out:

"problems with Nvidia drivers 270.61 and 270.71"

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 10:00 PM   in reply to bandgeek8910

I'm getting the same problem.  Whenever I add a picture to the timeling

or work on resizing it in the

timeling it says the the exact same thing you have.  I have to shutdown premiere pro via control panel.  What the heck!

I hope Nvidia comes up with a new driver to fix this or adobe adresses this as and update.  I'm getting frustrated with my projects..

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 12:43 PM   in reply to sirira2000

I went back to Ver. 259.81 drivers and it seems to have taken care of the problem.  I'm working on a project now that has over a hundred and fifty 12 megapixel stills in it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 9:46 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

FYI

The same issue has just arisen on my system after installing the latest upgrade of GeForce GTX 580 driver to version: 275.33, and Premiere Pro CS 5.5

This problem did not occur prior to the latest video driver installation.

My basic system parameters:

CPU i7 950

24 GB DDR3 RAM

14TB available in a RAID configuration (8 HDs) via dedicated RAID card

250GB SSD system drive

Video card GTX 580

Granted, I do have a number of large still images stacked three layers deep above the video.  Per suggestions in this thread I will resize them smaller and hopefully this will remmedy the problem for now.

Glad to see others are also having this problem and hopefully between Adobe and NVidia something will be done to remedy it soon.

Cheers,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 11:54 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I thought by downscaling my images I had resolved (or at least worked around) the issue, but I still get the dreaded error 7 OpenGL error when I work with still images (scrubbing the timeline, scaling, positioning etc). Not directly, but generally within 10 minutes or so (only when working with still images). I've got a 460GTX SE with the latest NVIDIA drivers (275.33) for WIndows 7 64bit. Picture size is 2448 * 3696, standard JPG. I also tried an older NVIDIA driver (263.09) but that didn't help.

Is Adobe still working with NVIDIA to resolve the issue? (sorry had erroneously posted a similar message in another topic, but that topic was about a different OpenGL error)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 10:39 AM   in reply to 3dmus

Also - would it help at all if I would open a ticket/report a bug? If so, what would be the most appropriate place? Or is there already an open ticket for this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 11:17 AM   in reply to 3dmus

What is the DPI of your images? Yes, I know that DPI does not matter as far as video is concerned--only pixel dimensions do--but when it comes to CUDA acceleration, it can make a difference.

If they're digital camera photos at something like 180DPI, I've found that decreasing to 72DPI while maintaining the raw pixel dimensions helped.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 11:25 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Ah - that's an interesting one, Thanks for the suggestion Colin. The dpi for my resized images is 240 and for my original ones 300. I will definitely try your suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 11:37 AM   in reply to 3dmus

Yeah, 240DPI is probably the issue; as long as you maintain the pixel dimensions when you drop to 72DPI, you'll get no quality difference in Premiere Pro. DPI is for printing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 12:59 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Just going through some batch conversion in Photoshop to get to new DPI (and I realise this is not the right forum to bring this up!); recorded my resize + change DPI  action for a landscape photo and then batch processed all....only to find out that all landscape ones are fine, but portrait ones aren't (for some reason PS treats them differently wrt my action)....grrrrr...anyways, will check the PS forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 4:47 PM   in reply to 3dmus

3dmus,

Has lowering the DPI worked out for you?  Just courious.  Thanks.

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 8:12 PM   in reply to {KMS}

Forgive my butting here.

In my case (per a previous entry in this thread) changing the ppi to 120 did the trick on three layers of still images above the video clips.

Cheers,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 12:32 AM   in reply to {KMS}

Hi Kevin - no, unfortunately not. I just batch converted to 100dpi and had another crash within 10 minutes of editing. Now b/c of the way PS was somehow not able to do a proper batch job on both portrait and landscape images at the same time, I reverted to Irfanview to do the batch conversion. Interestingly, Photoshop doesn't recognise the new dpi (still sees it as 300), whereas other programs (Irfanview, Windows file properties, Photoline, Paint.NET) all now see it as 100dpi. Not sure if this makes a difference.

So far though it's really disappointing; been through various NVIDIA driver versions, rescaling, changing DPI, but still crashing. This really puts a damper on the whole editing experience. Well, tbh, it's pointless really; a crash every 10 minutes makes it unworkable. :-(  I wish Adobe and NVIDIA would sort this out...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 5:30 AM   in reply to 3dmus

Unfortunately, there is only so much that can be done, as I've come to learn. What you're slamming into is the limitations of the hardware: specifically, the memory on the GPU. That's why this issue only comes to bear when you're in GPU accelerated rendering mode, and not software. I will agree that Premiere Pro should not keel over in these instances, but I don't know if this crash is caused by a fault in PPro or in the Nvidia drivers.

To be perfectly honest, 95% of my issues with CS5 and now CS5.5 (which I can crash at will) are due to GPU rendering. You can overwhelm the GPU without knowing that you're doing it, and then PPro goes *poof*. I've asked that the software be a little more realistic about what it can and can't do in this regard, and gear down where necessary. Obviously, this is relatively new technology--GPU-accelerated rendering in PPro, I mean--so the kinks are still being worked out.

Are the crashes repeatable? I mean, can you pass the same section in your sequence and have this happen every time, or is it at random points and places in the sequence? If it's at specific points, what is different about those sections? Are there multiple tracks and graphics or effects at those points? The issues I've had with CS5.5 have been with sections that have a few too many layers, typically with large/HD graphics. In my case, I've actually been able to reproduce crashes with synthetics (e.g. black video or color bars) replacing the original clips! That indicates that it's not the media itself, but the compounded effect of the size and number of tracks at a particular section of the sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 6:39 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Thanks for your reply Colin. It's a tad random for me; no specific points in the sequence. Only consistency I can see is that it happens with still images and only when manipulating (scaling/positioning, adding an effect etc). But I would like indeed that it would just drop frames, or revert to software only mode when it would encounter this. I take it that this issue could occur not just with a "hacked" CUDA card, but also with the officially supported ones, correct? If that's the case, I would expect Adobe and/or NVIDIA to fix this (in the sense that it wouldn't lead to a total crash anymore at least).

I had a similar OpenGL issue with some non-Adobe software (Hitfilm from the FXhome guys, just released a couple of weeks ago), but I've been told that they are actively working with the NVIDIA guys to provide a fix (and in the mean time, going back to an earlier driver actually fixes the issue). At least there I have the feeling that something is being done (the lead developer even called me to find a solution for my issue)...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 6:50 AM   in reply to 3dmus
    Only consistency I can see is that it happens with still images and only when manipulating (scaling/positioning, adding an effect etc).

Ah, interesting. Now that I think about it, that's what was happening when I was originally encountering the OpenGL crashes. Playback was OK; it wasn't until I moved a photo--or even just selected it--that I experienced the crash. Let me try and remember where I reported/wrote that up...

Are there specific photos that cause it? When it was happening to me, a photo at 180DPI (can't recall the dimensions) would cause the crash, but a photo at 240DPI was fine Tweaking the crashy photo "fixed" the problem (with that photo, at least), and it was fine then. Again, I'll see what I can find on that...

I've got a "hacked" GTX480, but in my communication with the engineers on this issue, that wasn't the problem; it was the amount of memory on the GPU and how it was being used. Steve Hoeg is one of the guys that deals with this particular facet with Premiere Pro, but Adobe is on break this week; I suspect that if this is floating near the top of the thread stack that he might pop in with some insights next week.

BTW, are you using CS5 or CS5.5?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 6:55 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Thanks again Colin - they are all Nikon D7000 photos, converted from RAW to JPG by Adobe RAW. My experience seems to be (but can be purely coincidental) that it crashes more with landscape oriented ones? But, it definitely happened with originally sized ones, resized (75%) and ones where I lowered the DPI (to 100).

Very odd that in your case it crashed with 180, but not with 240? Still don't really understand how DPI can make a difference btw as the image size doesn't change when you stick with the same pixel dimensions...then again...I'm not a programmer!

Will try to keep this thread alive so that Steve will spot it! Thx for the pointer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 7:31 AM   in reply to 3dmus

Because I got curious about what the history of this issue or other similar GPU-concerned crashes has been, or at least my experience with it, I went digging through old threads and correspondence.

Here's a thread from just over a year ago (what a coinkydink!) where I first encountered the issue, and how I worked around it: Re: Large Images + MPE Hardware = Decreased Performance? That was my first experience with this, and that was in 5.0.1; Steve H confirmed the issue, and the fix was in 5.0.2 (apparently).

Then, I started getting the "OpenGL Error Code 7" error and crash; that's me up above in a slightly different form Again, communicated with Steve, but since that was in 5.0.3 and that's the last update that's likely coming for CS5, I suspect this is an issue that will remain in CS5.

While I haven't had an "OpenGL Error Code 7" crash in CS5.5, I have come across other crashing scenarios that seem to be GPU-related. Unfortunately, I think this is kind of a moving target; types and amount of media can influence it, and the user's hardware setup and the GPU drivers can be factors as well. Until all the bugs get squashed (fingers crossed), we're left to just figure out workarounds. I'm not sure why lowering the DPI isn't working for you, but you might also try changing the format--perhaps save as a TIF or PSD and see what happens then.

While DPI in video doesn't mean anything, I think it is a factor here because it determines the amount of memory that is required to decompress and display an image. If you haven't yet, check out Todd's post, maximum dimensions in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5 « Premiere Pro work area, to understand a bit more about why image dimensions (and potentially DPI) can be an issue with GPU acceleration.

Not sure if that provides any relief...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2011 3:02 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Thanks Colin, an interesting read. Yes, I had checked out the article on picture dimensions. I am actually on CS5.5, so am hoping that it can at least still be resolved in the CS5.5 lifespan (or at least it not leading to a total crash anymore). I still don't know however how/where I can submit a crash report (I'm assuming that PP creates some kind of error log?). Will try your suggestion on different picture formats and see if that makes a difference. In the mean time I just stopped using PP for any real work :-( I'm lucky that my livelihood doesn't depend on it!!

But thanks again for taking the time to try to help me out, really much appreciated!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2011 9:41 AM   in reply to 3dmus

Apologies for bumping, but am hoping that Steve Hoeg could chip in on this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2011 9:48 AM   in reply to 3dmus

Can you post or send to me a test project demonstrating the issue? We've fixed similar issues in the past but I'm not surprised that there are more.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to SteveHoeg

Hi Steve - sure, can do. Not having done this before, how do I go about this? I'm assuming I need to include the media files too & then zip the bunch and post it to some file sharing type site?

Just to be clear though; it only crashes whils manipulating/editing the stills (at least so far), not when just playing from the timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2011 10:00 AM   in reply to 3dmus

See? Told ya we'd get his attention

Regarding the project file: yep, just grab your project file and zip it up with a couple of the images that cause the problem. I usually duplicate the project and whittle out all the non-essential stuff. Be sure to send the original images, though, since those are what cause the crash. Adding sequence markers with details about how to reproduce the crash helps, too.

(PS: Thanks, Steve!)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 8:03 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

You were right! Many thanks again :-)

Weird thing is  - have tried to make it crash with a project and now I've been unable to (tried for 30mins or so). Typical! Don't think anything changed on my system though, so it may well be a coincidence. Will try harder and then send the project files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 8:17 AM   in reply to 3dmus

Ah, yes--bug squashing ain't easy

What driver version are you using now? Might have something to do with it...

FWIW, I haven't seen this OGL Error Code 7 thing since CS5...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points