Skip navigation
davepolyester
Currently Being Moderated

Font changes when pasting between InDesign documents

Jan 25, 2011 2:25 PM

I'm copying and pasting the content of one InDesign CS5 document into another and am finding that the font of my general body text is changing from Times to Minion Pro.

This occurs with all the following methods:

• Copy and Paste multiple text frames
  • Copy and Paste single text frames
  • Copy and Paste content of a text frame into a new text frame
  • Drag and Dropping multiple text frames

I can't see any option in Preferences or Character pallette along the lines of 'Paste Remembers Fonts' (in the same vein as 'Paste Remembers Layers'.

I've change the default font in my existing documents to Times and also changed it with no documents open so all new documents have Times as the default.

I've also changed the Basic Paragraph style font to Times.

The correct paragraph styles already exist in both documents and remain in place when I copy and paste. Fonts for all other paragraph styles (eg headings etc) come across correctly, it's only my main body text that changes, with the font of the style showing as overidden.

Of course, I can simply select all the pasted text and clear the overides but I'd rather solve the problem properly.

One glimmer of hope: If I start another new document since changing the default font for new docs, the copy and paste retains my Times font.

Any thoughts? Can I fix my existing document's bad habit or will I need to start again?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2011 2:33 PM   in reply to davepolyester

davepolyester wrote:

One glimmer of hope: If I start another new document since changing the default font for new docs, the copy and paste retains my Times font.

If that works have you tried changing the default font in your existing doc?  Just make sure nothing is selected and change it.....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 3:06 PM   in reply to davepolyester

In line with what Stix said, there's a good chance the problem is with the font specified for [Basic Paragraph].

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 3:16 PM   in reply to davepolyester

So the formatting may have been applied as local formatting overrides, or possibly a character style. If the font spec is correct in the style definition, remove overides and see if it gets fixed. If not, check the character styles panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to davepolyester

select text, click the drop down in the paragraph pallete and select "break link to style." even if you have no styles applied.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points