• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player says installed but its not

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed 10.1 4 times tonight each time i get installation complete but nothing is there when I check to see if Flash 10.1 is installed per the installation instructions. I 've tried the automate download and manual. I have internet explorer 32 bit as far as I know  operating on Windows XP. I changed security settings as recommended - I 'm not good at computers to begin with - what do I need to do

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pcidiot wrote:

...nothing is there...

Nothing is where...?

Do you see the Flash animation at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ ?

What files do you have in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2011 Jan 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem:  I've downloaded flashplayer, DLM says that it's successful, but no icon is on the desktop.

I've gone to the software/flash/about site, and it shows an animated logo with the message that flash was correctly installed.

If I go to start - all programs - reader is shown but flash is not.

Other sites (including within Adobe) tell me that I need to install flash.

I went to windows\system32\macromed\flash, and it listed 6 files:

Flash101.ocx

FlashInstall

FlashUtil101_ActiveX

FlashUtil101_ActiveX.dll

Genuinst

KB923789

When I click on FlashUtil101_ActiveX, I get a message box telling me that it will UNinstall flash, so I quit it.

When I go to control panel, Add/remove, it DOES list flash player.

My system is WindowsXP, 5.1 - SP2.

Each time that I've downloaded flash, it's been with the DLM, I didn't see an option to manually download it.

Each time it's downloaded, McAfee downloads and successfully installs, and it's icon appears on the desktop.

I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions that you can offer.

Very respectfully,

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOVA_Larry2 wrote:

I've downloaded flashplayer, DLM says that it's successful, but no icon is on the desktop.

Flash Player is a browser add-on, not a standalone player, so there is no icon to click anywhere.

If you need the standalone player, you can download it from http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html (Projector).  Note that this download is the player itself, not an installer, so you will have to create any desktop shortcuts yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2011 Jan 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you  for the clarification -- that explains why I didn't see it.

But why does the Adobe test site see it and run it but other sites do not?

This is more than a bit frustrating because I cannot use other sites that I visit because they don't find the "installed" flash player.

Could I resolve my present problem by uninstalling this flash player and then installing an earlier version, or would that create other problems?

Very respectfully,

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Your Flash files are correct by the way. You didn't mention what IE browser version you are using, but if it is IE8, then go to Tools, Manage addons. Under "Show"(very light text), look in All addons or Run without Permission. Is Shockwave Flash Object listed, Enabled and version 10.1.102.64? If so then you shouldn't have any problem with Flash Player.

Make sure it's Enabled. Then try your websites again.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb,

Rats.

Thanks -- I'd never used that before, so it's good to know that it's there.  But Shockwave Flash Object version 10.1.102.64 is listed under run without permission, and it's enabled.  And I am using IE8.

Very respectfully,

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NOVA, Does that mean Flash Player is working?  Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnold,

No. I still get the banner across the screen telling me that I need to

install flash player and asking if I trust the site. So it's still not

recognized as being there.

Very respectfully,

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ok, back to the drawing board:-) This message you receive saying that you need to Install Flash Player, what site is this?

More importantly, is this a message from your IE browser?  Depending on where this message about trusting the site, I mean.

That would make a difference and give a clue as to the issue.

I am getting ready to prepare dinnner, but will be back on a little later.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb,

It's not specific to this site -- I get it on others such as Amazon, but I

just clicked on this site from an email that I get weekly:

http://www.shopwoodworking.com/product/design-better-mortise-tenon-joints-w1

473/cd-dvd?r=pwpb012211&et_mid=77778&rid=3213160

A banner appeared just below the tabs line:

"This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Adobe Flash Player' from

'Adobe Systems Incorporated'. If you trust the website and the add-on and

want to allow it to run, click here. . ."

It then runs the flash player. That's new; in the past I got a banner that

told me that I needed to load it. I did but it still wouldn't run.

I've just rebooted, and the flash player is still recognized. So I'm

crossing my fingers.

Thanks for both your interest and your help.

I'll wimper and then contact you again if flash disappears again.

VERY respectfully,

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, That sounds like it is IE giving you that message because the website wouldn't ask if you trusted the site. IE gives a message to me on certain sites, like Quicktime wants to Install an ActiveX, etc. I just ignore it. But in your case it was Flash Player. Still, you need to be careful in clicking on that. There are fake Flash Player messages out there. If that ever happens again, you should take note of the message, but come to the Adobe test site.

Always better to use the Adobe sites, which I'm sure you were directed to in this case. Just be cautious.

Well you must have only needed to Install again. Something caused a glitch in the Uninstall/Install.

Glad you have it working:-)

I don't think it will disappear again, or at least not until the next FP update

By the way, when you have time you really need to upgrade to SP3. It does take some time 1-2 hours though. It includes all of the SP2(after it's Uninstalled by Windows) and the SP3 Installs with a lot of fixes and improvements.

Have a good weekend, post back if you need/want to. I'd post to this thread first since your info is here. After you could start your own thread/discussion if needed.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a very similar problem, and been having it for months.

I download the Flash Player and install it and all seems fine. The About page says it is installed correctly and I see the animated flash logo spinning.  It works fine for a while then all of a sudden it stops working.  When I go to a site with flash, it says I need to install the latest flash version.

This seemed intermittent, but now I think I have nailed exactly when it happens.  I was in the habit of not always turning off my computer, but now I realize that once I turn it off then back on, then I have the problem with it not being installed.

HOWEVER, when I go to the about page, it says it is intalled correctly, but there is no animated flash logo spinning any more.

See this screen cap:  http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5049/5375899467_cfded78f47_o.png    As you can see, it says it is installed, but in fact it is NOT. I have to reinstall again.

As I said, this appears to be a solid problem now that I know it happens when I power down then on again.

My system is an ASUS M50vm notebook, running Windows 7 with all the latest patches and fixes installed. It is a 32 bit system, and I am using IE8.

I would really like to figure out why this is happening and how I can fix it - permanently.  It is becomming a pain in the a$$

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pilaar39 wrote:

I am having a very similar problem, and been having it for months.

Since your problem is completely different from what is discussed in here, please start your own topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks.. will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have uninstalled JAVA SCRIPT!

Check your computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hollyzeches wrote:

You must have uninstalled JAVA SCRIPT!

JavaScript cannot be uninstalled; it is part of the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines