Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rendered clips become un-rendered without changing anything?

Jan 27, 2011 1:24 PM

I render a "work area" on my timeline (which is about 2 mins of the entire project). I save the project. I close the program.  I open the program, and then open the project, and the rendered area is no longer rendered.

The program has been crashing quite frequently today as well.

Any ideas??

Thanks everyone -

Kim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2011 1:38 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

Hard to say without knowing which version of the program you're using and which operating system you're working on.

But it might be worth contacting Adobe Tech Support about.

It might also be an indicator that your computer needs some basic maintenance and a tune-up or that you're running out of drive space. I do this every week, and my computer still runs better than the day I bought it!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 1:42 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

Kim,

Is there either an external HDD, or a networked drive involved in your system?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 2:27 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

What is the connection type of that external HDD?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 3:42 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

Well, a USB external is good for archiving, and not much else. If you are trying to edit to/from the USB external, you are courting potential disaster. Most computers, and NLE programs, like PrE, or PrPro, try to push more data through the USB connection, than it can handle. This often leads to corrupted files, and can lead to a complete and catastrophic failure of the external HDD itself.

FireWire 400 (IEEE-1394a, or iLink) is better, but still quite slow. FW-800 (IEEE-1394b) is more than adequate, with eSATA being even better.

I am not saying that this external HDD is the contributing factor, but certainly can be.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 7:09 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

Kim,

When Assets, that are linked to a Project, are Moved, as soon as you Open the Project, the program will ask, "Where is file______.MOV?" There will be a Finder provided, that interfaces with the OS's explorer. Direct PrE to the first file in the folder, and then PrE will re-link to all Assets in that folder. If you have more than one folder of Assets, you will need to repeat the process, for each folder, in which there are linked Assets, until all have been re-linked.

Whatever you do, please do not choose to Ignore, or Offline the media, and then do a Save, which will overwrite the PREL (Project) file, and then you will need to manually re-link each Asset by hand - a tedious process.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 9:14 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

Kim,

Fingers X'ed here too, in cool, but sunny AZ.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2011 7:02 AM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

I was about to put on a posting about this very issue when I spotted this one. I have Premiere Elements 9 and edit projects on a seperate dedicated internal hard drive. I recently finished editing a project which contained material originally filmed on Hi 8 and transferred to mini DV before importing. The clips were all slightly smaller than the frame so, rather than re-sizing each clip, I created an AVI file then, using the properties>motion tool, re-sized the whole project to fill the frame. This resulted in the project having to be re-rendered which I did and then saved. However when I re-opened the project at a later date to do some more work on it the whole thing had to be rendered again. I would have thought that once the rendered project had been saved it wouldn't need to be rendered again which is why I was going to ask if anyone knew why this should be.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2011 7:25 AM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

No, I'm working on a PC using Windows XP. I'd also noticed the same thing happening with titles which, when a project was reopened, sometimes, though not always, needed rendering again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2011 7:41 AM   in reply to BriRonS

To me, this sounds like a Bug. If you have ruled out some common culprits, like external HDD's, and networked drives, I would file a Bug Report with Adobe.

The "proxy" files, that are created, when you Render, are linked in the Project. So long as those files are available (have not been Deleted, Moved, Renamed, etc.), the Project should link to them, regardless of how many times one shuts down the Project, and re-opens it. Something is wrong, and causing the Project to loose those links.

With the exception of those common causes, if they are absent, then something is wrong in the Project file, and the way that PrE is Opening it. Adobe should be able to recreate the issue, Mac, or PC, and find a cure. The more info that you can provide them, the easier it will be to recreate in the lab, and trace the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2011 2:02 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

If that Title was NOT changed, the Render files should have still been linked. Now, if one Renders, and then makes a change, say to one character in a Title, the red line reappears, and for smoothest playback, Rendering will need to be done again. Remember, this was due to the change - as soon as a change is made and commited, that entire Title will have a red line.

Remember, Rendering is JUST for smoothest playback. I complete entire Projects, with tons of red lines, and never bother to Render. However, if I am doing a lot of Keyframing, I may Render dozens of times. For an 08 sec. Intro Project, with about six Video Tracks, and lots of Keyframing of several Effects, I probably Rendered 50 times, to clearly see all the Keyframed Effects, as well, as I possibly could. It just depends.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2011 3:16 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing
    Adobe Tech Support even recreated the exact problem on his Mac -- and STILL said that "the program is functioning properly".

With no changes, that technician was incorrect, at least for the PC, and I cannot believe that the Mac version of the program is designed to loose the link to the Render files. That would not really make sense to me. Maybe Steve Grisetti, who uses both a Mac and a PC can comment, if the Mac automatically looses the links to Render files.

When I Render the Timeline, or a portion of the Timeline, Save the Project, close the program, and re-launch, loading the Project, all Rendering is still there. If I have Moved, Deleted, or Renamed the Render files, PrE will ask "Where is Render File ______.AVI?" wanting to re-link.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2011 4:09 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

Looks like a problem with your computer OS settings to me.

It may be possible that the last bit of info that represented the rendering informatin was being held in a cache of some sort in the computer or on the hard disk internal cache (if it has one). It may not have been finally written to the physical metal disk.

I find this sometimes happens when making changes to VB sourcecode if I dont WAIT a while after making changes

To confirm this, render the area and close PRE without previewing or touching anything else, wait a minute then do a proper shutdown procedure to switch off the computer. This should flush all caches. Then restart the computer and see if the red lines are still there.

I know this works on Windows but not sure of a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2011 4:43 AM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

I've just tried re-opening the project that I had trouble with and this time it has stayed fully rendered. The only difference was that last time I had the project open I completed my edit, exported the project to Mini DV and created an MPEG file for burning to DVD. Perhaps the problem was a temporary glitch of some kind in my computer, or maybe something I was doing wrong, but it seems to be fine now. Thanks for all your help and advice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2011 6:04 AM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

It's a good idea to manually save your project regularly and about 10 seconds after you have finally finished editing to make sure all changes are permanently saved to the physical disk.

Starting the sharing process may also have ensured the rendering data was fully saved on the physical disk, not just left in in a temporary cache as I described before.

If your compter has a system cache, maybe the info might have remained in it if you dont have enough available RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2011 8:31 AM   in reply to BriRonS

If it is a write-caching problem you can switch it off in "Disk drives" in the "Device Manager". Just clear the checkbox:

1.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2011 9:09 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

When you very first imported all the video were there any red lines?

Or do they only appear over the area where you add effects

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2011 9:21 AM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

Kim,

Let's start here:

Most of the video clips were un-rendered when originally imported (thus, having the red line above).

When one Imports Assets, that match the Project Preset 100%, they should not have red lines above those Imported Clips. That you do, bears looking into initially.

You have probably already given us this info up-thread, but please refresh my memory - what are the specs. of your chosen Project Preset, and what are the full specs. of those Assets?

Do not know if this will have a bearing on the issue, but let's get it out of the way first.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 2:49 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

Kim,

So glad to hear that you have gotten satisfactory results.

For a "starter Project," you got handed a real can-o-worms, but hung in there. As Friedrich Nietzsche stated, "that, which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

You are certainly "stronger" now, having competed your Project.

Appreciate hearing of your success,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2011 8:15 PM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

I just discovered on my machine that if the Preview Monitor is set to 100% magnification, there are problems with the rendering system, such as the red AND green lines are gone and the rendered clips have become unrendered (yet they don't have a red or green line above them).

To fix this, I change the magnification of the preview monitor to anything but 100%, close the project, then open it.

Titles are another story and have their own tale. They may come back rendered, or they may not. I can usually get them back, but I have to delete the preferences file and jump through some hoops.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to shiffsportsmarketing

I have this problem as well. Before I start a project, I make sure my computer is running optimal (3 gig mem, 4@ 250 HD) by shutting off some processes which I got from this forum a while back and usually it works well on some projects that don't require lots of editing. But I ran into a bit of a problem when I was editing a 30 min video. I had to add lots of dissolves and text titles, but for some reason after rendering some of these effects and finishing for the night so I can start the next day so I can do more work on the project, all those rendered edits were all unrendered they were mostly added text titles from what I noticed. In previous projects I had this same problem. I found from the forum I can save the project and after reopening I can delete those text titles and re do them and sometimes it worked, but mostly its been the same. Anyone????

Thanks

Junior

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points